VPN on Ipad?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 James Cunningham

James Cunningham

Gemini

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:39 AM

I tried to set up a VPN on my Ipad but it did not work. What do I need to set it up besides the software. Where do you get the description, the Server and the Account from? Thanks.
Jim

#2 MRNUTTY

MRNUTTY

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mendon, MA

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:05 AM

That settings comes from the VPN gateway and server Itself. Be aware there are many types of VPN protocol, and the iPad only supports, what a few maybe? What's your application Jimmy?

#3 James Cunningham

James Cunningham

Gemini

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:10 AM

I have no idea. I downloaded a VPN app from the Itunes store and it asked all of those questions. Do I need a separate IP provider. I use Comcast internet.
Jim

#4 faltered

faltered

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:27 AM

what is it your trying to accomplish?

#5 James Cunningham

James Cunningham

Gemini

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:40 AM

nothing in particular. I just got my Ipad and wanted to enable everything that I could.

#6 faltered

faltered

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:44 AM

Yeah, then you dont want or need this. For example, I use a VPN connection to "connect" to my workplace network. For me to access some things at work on my ipad, I connect via a "VPN" connection.

You need to have a reason to connect to a VPN. Sounds like this is something you can pass on.

#7 MRNUTTY

MRNUTTY

Surveyor 1

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:14 PM

Yeah VPN is either for work or "a lot of work" to get right. What VPN did you download?

#8 James Cunningham

James Cunningham

Gemini

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:06 PM

Based on these responses, I have decided not to use it. I downloaded Mocha RDP Lite which was free.

#9 j.w.white

j.w.white

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:08 AM

Jimmy - in case you decide to revisit this in the future, I use VPN Express on my iPad with no issues. There is a downloadable app (off App Store) that allows you to set up your account, then all you have to do is turn it on/off from Settings (it will/should show up underneath the Bluetooth settings). I've used it both inside and outside the US with no problems.

#10 James Cunningham

James Cunningham

Gemini

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:38 AM

Besides the cost of the app, is there anything else that I need to purchase? And thank.
Jimmy

#11 j.w.white

j.w.white

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:01 PM

If I recall correctly, the app itself is free. What you pay for are download quotas, either fixed-monthly (The standard is 2GB/30 days for 99 cents - no carry over of unused data) or by amount of data (no expiration). I don't use it a lot (mostly online banking while traveling, sometimes e-mail depending on where I'm at), but I've always found the prices to be reasonable and reliable.

#12 James Cunningham

James Cunningham

Gemini

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:45 PM

I downloaded a free app but have no idea how to configure it. It asks for stuff that I don't know. Where do the settings come from?

#13 ThreeD

ThreeD

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Sacramento suburbs

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:27 PM

Do you know what a VPN is? What do you need it for?

That data it is asking for has to do with the VPN you are trying to connect to. If you don't know what it is then I'd guess the answers to the abpve questions are "no" and "nothing" and it is time to uninstall the SW.

#14 richsvt

richsvt

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: North Shore of Boston

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:19 PM

A VPN is a "Virtual Private Network" It is used in a company that wants its employees to access a network remotely. There are credentials that the IT group will need to supply to you to allow your access. Unless there is something you need to access from the company that it not out for anyone to view, the VPN app is useless. I use one to access databases I need when working remotely. These DBs are not public information and are hid behind security.

#15 j.w.white

j.w.white

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:12 PM

Not all VPN's are for "company" use - my use of it in fact has nothing at all to do with any specific corporate need. I use it to create a secure tunnel through public networks for sending/receiving sensitive data. When you download the app, it should ask you to register a new account. Once you register, you log into your account, click on "user manual", and then "VPN Auto Setup" - it then walks you through what you need to do.

#16 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:20 PM

i use Cisco Anyconnect. Free, but your company has to have a Cisco VPN concentrator..

#17 JMW

JMW

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:45 PM

I suspect the OP is confusing the VPN feature on the iPad with a VNC application for remotely accessing another computer.

#18 Shneor

Shneor

Viking 1

• Loc: Northern California

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:59 PM

You can use vpn to prevent your internet provider - especially when you ore online in a cafe or hotel, for example, from logging where you surfed and making sure your logins and passwords remain secret. I use kebrum.com.

Clears,

#19 ThreeD

ThreeD

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Sacramento suburbs

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:55 PM

Great, that way kebrum.com has a consolidated list of where you surf from every cafe/hotel. ;) Seriously though, I personally am not concerned about that as i don't tend to visit places I shouldn't go. All a VPN/web proxy really does is push the knowledge of your surfing history to a different place.

Regarding the username/password security, that's what SSL (https) is for. I think the only places I visit that use login info and don't support https are CN and that other astro site that I won't be a member of once my letter is drawn. Using a VPN/web proxy site alone doesn't protect you unless you are also logging in using an https connection and if you are using https then a VPN doesn't really get you anything.

A VPN will provide a secure tunnel to the network you are connecting to. If you then surf outside that network I really don't see what you gain unless you trust the VPN itself with your browsing history.

#20 MRNUTTY

MRNUTTY

Surveyor 1

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:33 PM

I suspect the OP is confusing the VPN feature on the iPad with a VNC application for remotely accessing another computer.

Now, that is the best answer so far :-)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics