• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 droid

droid

rocketman

• Moderators
  • Loc: Conneaut, Ohio

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:55 AM

I had my new to me 16 inch out a couple nights ago, frim a very bright location, took a shot at catching a glimpse of the veil, no joy, but just off the end of the wing on the lyra side I stumbled over a very pretty cluster, I included it in the report over in the reflector forum, asking if I had actually seen a cluster, but got no responce.
Is there in fact a cluster there, or just a bunch of stars that happened to be in the same area, lol?

#2 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Voyager 1

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:31 PM

Just off the end of Cygnus's wing on the Lyra side I stumbled over a very pretty cluster ... Is there in fact a cluster there, or just a bunch of stars that happened to be in the same area, lol?

Could you be a little more explicit? Cygnus has many clusters, its wings are enormous, and different people picture them differently -- so I don't know what "end" means in this context.

The brightest cluster in that part of the sky is NGC 6811, but there are plenty of alternatives.

#3 droid

droid

rocketman

• Moderators

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:16 PM

Tony ; Im sorry , lol....I was just showing the scope to some friends, and had decided to look for the veil, no go, I knew better, then headed for the ring nebula, I was right off, maybe one fov right of the last star in the wing facing Lyra, and stopped dead in my tracks and stared, Id bet it was a cluster, but I dunno.
The Ring nebula by the way knocked my socks off ,lol

#4 Sasa

Sasa

Viking 1

• Loc: Ricany, Czech Republic

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:20 PM

If it was dense, it could be M56?

#5 stevecoe

stevecoe

"Astronomical Tourist"

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:37 PM

Jason, et al;

NGC 6811 is off the wing you are discussing. Here is an observations of mine:

NGC 6811 6" f/8 refractor Seeing+Transparency=7/10 14mm EP

pretty bright, large, little compressed, pretty rich, 39 stars counted. Pretty well detached. There is an interesting circlet of 7 stars on the NW edge.

#6 droid

droid

rocketman

• Moderators

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:06 PM

Nailed it thanks guys.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics