CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Backyard wood Pier

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#76 dandabson

dandabson

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dover, DE

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:25 PM

Dan,

Start looking at a ROR shed and you'll be in business permanently :).

Congrat's on retiring!

A ROR is on the list. Unfortunately the wife also has a long list. I did two years at Ellsworth AFB. I really like d Rapid City.

#77 CharlesW

CharlesW

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Chula Vista & Indio, CA

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:03 AM

If I could make one more gentle suggestion, especially since you're using plywood top plates right now? Your bolts should be as short as possible and still provide the leveling feature that you want. At the length they are now, they are acting like four levers trying to twist and cut their way through your plywood. I know this is opening a heated debate with a lot of people but, it makes no mechanical sense to have longer bolts than you need.

#78 dandabson

dandabson

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dover, DE

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:21 PM

I intentionally left them that, lenth to facilitate removing the mount. I did not want to have to remove.the upper plate if I take the mount to a starparty or dark site.

#79 TigerDeath

TigerDeath

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 02 February 2015 - 01:52 PM

:-( Pics are gone.

#80 th3r3ds0x

th3r3ds0x

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: SE Louisiana

Posted 02 February 2015 - 02:56 PM

I built a pier like this this year using 4 6x6x8 posts and two 1/4" thick steel plates as a leveling mechanism. I have a CGEM pier adapter on it. The posts are sunk 3' deep using 3 80lb sacks of cement. It is extremely solid. I built a small deck around it as well. Just a basic observation platform out in back yard where there is the best view of the sky. I'd be glad to post some pics of interested.
  • TigerDeath likes this

#81 John Miele

John Miele

Vanguard

• Loc: North Alabama

Posted 03 February 2015 - 09:40 PM

I built a pier like this this year using 4 6x6x8 posts and two 1/4" thick steel plates as a leveling mechanism. I have a CGEM pier adapter on it. The posts are sunk 3' deep using 3 80lb sacks of cement. It is extremely solid. I built a small deck around it as well. Just a basic observation platform out in back yard where there is the best view of the sky. I'd be glad to post some pics of interested.

Hi,

I'd like to see your pics. I built one also and it's still working well...John

#82 th3r3ds0x

th3r3ds0x

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 03 February 2015 - 10:39 PM

Here it is.  I'm going to take the plates off this summer to clean, prime, and paint them.  The rust doesn't cause any issues other than being hideous.  The pier works very good and only took a day to get together.  I got the idea from a post on one of the astronomy forums, might have been on here.  It just seemed so easy and I didn't have to worry about molding cement.

Attached Files

• TigerDeath likes this

#83 TigerDeath

TigerDeath

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 04 February 2015 - 02:22 PM

Very interesting design, th3r3ds0x!

I was wondering how wood would hold up to vibrations! Looks like you're doing imaging on an astrograph as well, do you have any problems with vibrations or movement when walking around the deck? What about jumping up and down on the deck, does that affect it at all?

I've moved the rest of this post to a new thread, save this thread for the OP.

Link to new thread/post: http://www.cloudynig...land/?p=6431610

Thanks!
-Duane

Edited by TigerDeath, 04 February 2015 - 03:17 PM.

#84 th3r3ds0x

th3r3ds0x

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 04 February 2015 - 05:02 PM

The deck is 100% separate from the pier.  No vibrations pass to the scope.  I've actually tested this by having my son jump up and down on the deck while I monitored the live view image on my PC and I saw nothing.  I've also detected no vibrations from walking around the deck while I'm imaging.  The pier is incredibly strong and very solid.  It is also extremely heavy.  Once I got it in the hole I leveled best I could and let the cement set.  The steel plates are extremely rigid.  I'm not sure how much weight they would handle before there would be any flex but I can say my gear doesn't even begin to make them flinch.  The design makes it very easy to get it perfectly level.  I built it over the summer and I have not had to make any adjustments to it yet.  I used pressure treated posts.  I expected a little bit of settling but it's looking like it will probably hold up for a good many years.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics