TAL 150P8

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 xenonightx

xenonightx

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:17 PM

Hey everyone, I got out of the amateur astronomy scene for a little while, but I am back now. I have been doing a little research on telescopes as my binos have pretty much seen everything they can. It seems the TAL 150P8 is a great little scope that doesnt require much upgrading and comes complete with a finder, 2" focuser, a sturdy EQ mount, and a few eyepieces and barlow and filters. What a deal for a novice. My problem is of course availability. I live in Texas and I was wondering, where on earth could I find one of these things? And what are the best options for shipping the 150lb crate internationally?

I'm sure there are folks here with a little more experience on the subject. I appreciate your time and thoughts.
Clear skies!

#2 eyepiecedropper

eyepiecedropper

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: aschaffenburg, germany

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:08 AM

hi, i´d suggest asking markus ludes. i´m almost sure you won´t find a new 150p8. rumor has it that tal focussed more on military optics and therefore doesn´t produce that scope now. and... as an owner of a tal100r and former owner of a tal newton and two intes scopes. tal indeed has good optics but is not as high-end as intes is. they have their quality issues.

regards, martin

#3 Binojunky

Binojunky

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:48 AM

We had a couple of Tal dealers in Canada however they are no longer in business, nice scopes even looked through one, however the shipping costs from across the pond(they are available in the UK) would be very expensive, if you consider what a 6" newt from say Celestron or Orion would cost then spend those shipping costs on extras that you want, that admitedly come as standard with the TAL scope then you would IMHO still be ahead of the game, the Celestron Omni 6" newt is a fine scope for a modest price, sorry I don,t see the point of shipping a bog standard newt all the way across the Atlantic Ocean, It doesn,t make sense?, and if you have a problem with the scope or damage when it arrives then your dealing with a company or retailer half way around the planet.With the TAL you may have duties to pay as well, also the exchange rate may not work in your favour and in the UK and Europe astro gear is far more expensive than in the USA, sorry sir to me anyway its crazy to take that route,DA.

#4 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:39 AM

I'm sure there are folks here with a little more experience on the subject. I appreciate your time and thoughts.
Clear skies!

Hello and Welcome to Cloudy Nights... :waytogo:

I suggest looking around at some other options. I am sure the TAL 150 F/8 is a fine scope, it is pretty much in the tradition of the reflectors like the venerable RV-6 of 40 and 50 years ago.

But that 150 lb shipping weight should raise a red flag... It's a heavy scope for it's aperture and heavy scopes don't get as much use as more portable, more easily managed scopes.

Scopes like this one are rare for a reason... Overall, the Dobsonian is just so much more practical... I have an RV-6 as well as a 12.5 inch F/6 on an equatorial mount that is over 30 years old. They do provide wonderful views but so do my Dobsonians and the Dobsonians are just so much more comfortable for viewing. With a GEM mounted Newtonian, one is always fighting to get a comfortable viewing position, the tube rotates as you move across the sky, so you have to rotate it to a reasonable position.

So... look at some Dobsonians and if you really do want a 6 inch on a GEM, I would look for a Criterion RV-6...

Jon

#5 xenonightx

xenonightx

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:30 PM

You all may be right on that eq vs dob subject. A dob certainly has more bang for buck. The only reason I would perfer the eq mount is so that my girlfriend can look through the scope without having to find the object (shes not very good at that). That scope in particular just has it all, including the rave reviews... Sad to hear that TAL went mostly military.

I have definitely considered buying a more basic 6in scope and modifying it as I go, and thats probably what I will end up doing. Thanks for giving me that nudge. ;)

#6 Mike E.

Mike E.

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Moonstone Observatory

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:52 PM

This will give you a rough idea of what shipping a scope Internationally will cost.

Earlier this year I shipped three crates from California to the UK. For "one" of the crates which weighed ninety three pounds, the invoice (minus the insurance) was billed at...

SHIPMENT CHARGES:

Worldwide Expedited.... $852.25
Fuel Surcharge........... $104.34
Service Options.......... $***.**
Large Pkg Fee............. $55.00
CMS Processing Fee........$0.20

Total ..................$908.88

With the insurance added on, it cost well over a thousand to ship, and this was by UPS which had the lowest price at the time; and this was for a weight of under 100 lbs.

#7 Pat Rochford

Pat Rochford

Explorer 1

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:26 AM

Worldwide Expedited vs ??? What would it have cost to ship it a little slower?

#8 Mike E.

Mike E.

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Moonstone Observatory

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:17 PM

Worldwide Expedited vs ??? What would it have cost to ship it a little slower?

Ahh, sorry, I wasn't thinking about the slow boat route when I posted. :foreheadslap:
I opted for air cargo with UPS, as I had to be sure of a timely delivery. UPS was the most economical compared to DHL and other air cargo companies.

#9 astro_baby

astro_baby

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: United Kingdom

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:27 PM

TALS are very wonderful scopes - in the UK they turn up quite frequently 2nd hand and fetch as little as £200. A good vintage one in nice condition complete with its wooden case would fetch a little more.

Although well regarded they lose their value fast because even in the UK the shipment costs from mother Russia eat up a fair ammount of the 'new' cost price tag. Obviously a 2nd user isnst interested in the original ship costs hence the drop in prices.

By the way even with an EQ mount you will still have to find stuff - EQ doesnt equal GoTo. You would get tracking so once you havefound something the scope would track for your g/f.

As an aside the TAL 100RS Frac has an excellent reputation i the UK but I guess that would be unavailable in the US as well.

TAL is only one small part of a Russian company whose main interest is military. As a result TAL is very much an add on business to the factorys main business and as a result they dont seem to put much focus (pardon pun) on the telescopes.

#10 xenonightx

xenonightx

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:47 AM

Jeeze.... yeah I would take the slow boat route, I have quite a bit of patience. My gf on the other hand does not, which is why I would prefer tracking. I doubt I would get much joy out of GoTo honestly, I have found a LOT with binoculars and I know where most of the best views are already.

It seems these things are indeed pretty rare in America though. With shipping and all you guys are right, its hard to justify the cost when there are other options. Back to the drawing board.

#11 AaronM

AaronM

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: NRW, Germany

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:50 PM

Hello,

and there is now, since september, an english-spoken forum !

http://www.npzoptics...f54b932ce8ab4ca

Kind regards, Michael

#12 Rutilus

Rutilus

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:02 PM

For a number of years I had the Tal2M, 6" f/8, the model with a spherical mirror. This was my opinion of the scope and mount.

Tube assembly - Average build quality. The focus mount was very basic. Paintwork was very soft, it started to chip all over the place.

Finder scope - Excellent, better than my Takhashi 7x50.

Equatorial mount - Looked good, but it was awful. No matter how I adjusted the mount, it would still jerk about when driving.
To-date it still remains the worse mount I've ever used.

Stand- Very nice piece of work.

Mirror - Simply superb. The best 6 inch mirror I've used.
Planetary and Lunar views were fantastic. I use to have it side by side with a Tak TSA-102 and FS-102 refractor and both refractors
came off second best. DSO were also better in the Tal.

#13 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Apollo

• -----

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:28 AM

Shipping by slow boat not so much an option. Unless you are shipping enough stuff to fill a 40 foot long shipping container.

I spent about $250 shipping my OO 10" Newtonian across the pond from UK. Plus $100+ in other international fees. My point was I wanted a 10" reflector light enough to go on a CG5 mount, and I couldn't really find any other options than OO without getting some super expensive custom job. OO does make 6" reflectors too but unless you really need the extra portability, it makes more sense to get something else.

#14 planet9

planet9

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: UK

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:31 AM

TAL2M gives awesome sharp image of the lunar and planets. A great work all around scope.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics