New (Used) SkyShed POD Owner Question

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Jmax

Jmax

Viking 1

• Loc: Alabama

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:46 PM

I just bought a used POD, and I can tell that I am going to have to add more seals around the hinges where the inside dome goes up. It needs both the foam rubber and additiona l-seals in those corner areas. Also, the foam around the door is brittle and falling off at the bottom. So I need to new foam strips here as well. For other POD owners, the dome sections fit well together, so I wondered if I should just leave it alone and see if there are any leaks there or go ahead and take the dome apart and re-seal. I also was wondering how much leakage am I going to get around the hinges until I can get them sealed better.

#2 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:24 PM

I wouldn't bother taking the dome segments apart. I would however get a tube or two of Lexel and add the caulking to the all the dome seams to prevent any possibility of leaks.

I believe the foam strips are 3/4" thick, I've seen this type of weather stripping at most hardware stores. When you staple these strips (they are adhesive as well) watch the depth of your staples. Too little and they just won't hold very well.

The grey silicone L strip that provides the seal between the dome halves is the only thing I can't easily get locally. Wayne (at SkyshedPod) sells a replacement strip that has enough material for the dome opening and the extra for adding to the pivot joint areas.

When I assembled my POD last year I followed the most recent instructions (from well over a year ago) on sealing up the pivot joints, including using a small garden hose washer on the end of the pivot bolts. It all works very well, even in very heavy rain storms.

#3 Startraffic

Startraffic

Viking 1

• Loc: Lat. 39.143345, Long. -77.174802

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:35 PM

JMax,
If it doesn't leak, don't fix it. I'm the 3rd owner of my XL3 & it needed new gaskets & seals. I got a set from Wayne, put them in & haven't had a leak since.

Clear Dark Skies
Startraffic
39.138274 -77.168898
Alt 518ft ASL

#4 SkyShed

SkyShed

Vendor (Sky Shed)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Staffa , ON

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:12 PM

Hi guys,

The black foam rubber is "closed cell", automotive foam rubber. You'll find it the automotive section of the hardware store. Not the home section.

3/4" X 3/4", 1 X 1", or a variation will do. The seals are the only replacement you should ever have to make. They're low cost, take little time, and work great when installed properly.

The gray L-Rubber dome sweeper is very rarely replaced, but is available thru the POD website if needed.

Let me know if we can assist further.

CS!
Wayne
www.skyshedpod.com

#5 Jmax

Jmax

Viking 1

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:43 PM

Thanks for the info, Wayne. Wow, I had heard how good the customer service from Skyshed is. But when the owner of the company himself replies to the post of someone who bought a used POD, that clearly speaks volumes! I am sincerely impressed with the POD and the company. I will try to find the correct foam locally, but if not, I will be ordering from Skyshed. I also will be adding enhancements to my dome, and will be ordering them as well. I would have bought the POD itself new, but because of shipping and luckily finding a used one I could pick up, I went that route. Still, I will be singing the praises of my new observatory and your fine company to all my Astro-Buddies! A friend and I are planning on a joint observatory in a really dark location in the not too distant future, and I think I may be seeing a POD MAX in that future!

For now, I love my new (to me) observatory and am so happy to know the kind of service your company has to offer!

John

#6 Jmax

Jmax

Viking 1

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:47 PM

Thanks to those who replied. I will be keeping everyone posted on getting my observatory up and running. I have already decided to call it "Stars Fell Observatory." It seems like a good name, since I am in Alabama and the words of the song go...

"Your eyes held a tender light
While stars fell on Alabama
Last night"

John

#7 Startraffic

Startraffic

Viking 1

• Loc: Lat. 39.143345, Long. -77.174802

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:11 PM

Jmax,
Yup, Wayne is good people.

Clear Dark Skies
Startraffic
39.138274 -77.168898
Alt 518ft ASL

#8 SkyShed

SkyShed

Vendor (Sky Shed)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Staffa , ON

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:07 PM

Thank you very much JMax! If you were the 8th owner we would still support you.

Many clear skies in your new (to you) POD!

Wayne
www.skyshedpod.com

#9 Peter9

Peter9

Aurora

• Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:38 AM

Hi John,

Wayne and the gang at SkyShed are second to none as a company and support for its customers.

Hope you enjoy your POD as much as I enjoy mine.

Regards. Peter.

#10 YetAnotherHobby

YetAnotherHobby

Mariner 2

• Loc: Central CT

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:03 PM

+1 on the Lexel recommendation. I also purchased a used dome and it leaked badly. Applying the Lexel Sealant to the dome seams has made it 100% waterproof through some heavy rains.

Good luck!

Geoff

#11 gillmj24

gillmj24

Aurora

• Loc: PA

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:45 PM

I had only a minor leak and it was due to my rushed Lexel application (it was raining the week I got the dome go figure!) There were tiny holes in the dried lexel seal so water would get in and and travel down the seams and leak onto my floor near the walls under where the dome quarters met (not onto my scope). It would have been a lot of water had I not used lexel. I don't see how it's optional, you really want to spend the $12 and seal it up right. Take your time and get two tubes of lexel, I found it at my local ace Hardware store, I don't think Lowes or Home depot had it.

#12 telestronomy

telestronomy

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:56 PM

Hi Murray from Brampton ontario, how well will the skyshed pod hold up in a snow storm, i will not be using my equipment once December comes , too cold for me, but if i decide to use the pod to store my equipment locked up all winter ,will it be safe from the winter inviroment, thanks

#13 crsrs

crsrs

Vostok 1

• Loc: San Tan Valley, AZ

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:43 AM

I've had my POD for a couple of years now, and I absolutely love it. Careful chalking pays off, and as for the pivot joints...I used a water proof tape over the top half of the bolts extending an inch beyond the bolt head, with plastic on the tape when it touches the bolt to allow it to move freely. That solve the leak completely.

#14 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:58 AM

Hi Murray,

If you follow the latest assembly instructions and use a couple of the additional suggestions (on sealing the pivot joints as Carol mentioned and add some additional weather stripping at the peak of the dome to back up the grey silicone seal ... both very easy to do) you won't have any problems.

I have a POD cover that I've hardly ever used, I just don't seem to need it. If this year we get a serious storm or two (heavy snow with lots of wind over a few days) I may add the cover and push in some long foam strips at the wall tops but that's about it.

My POD has gone though one good New Brunswick winter (usually worse snow wise than what you experience) and there have been no problems at all.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics