• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 evilmedic13

evilmedic13

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Chicago,Il

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:44 PM

Does anyone know what type of foam they use, and where to get some. The case I have has a large piece that broke off. Initially I wasn't worried, but as I grow with this scope, I realize the spot that it's at is the absolute worst place. It's basically at the "bottom" of the case, when I'm transporting it up/down my stairs. It's right where the visual back and , more importantly, the Feather touch focuser meet the case. With the focuser, it's really close. I've been using the broken foam after I put the scope in the case, but I'd rather be sure that it's safe and sound going down the cement steps, one of which is taller than the rest by 3 inches.

#2 evilmedic13

evilmedic13

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:08 PM

Well, I ansered my own question by accident today. I went shopping at Lowes and found kneeling boards by accident. The foam is a little harder than jmi stuff, but it will do what I need.

It was fun playing "slappy boards" with my 3 yo son too!

#3 Meadeball

Meadeball

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Midlothian, Virginia

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:01 PM

FYI for the future, many "military surplus" stores also sell custom-cut foam rubber. We've got a couple of them here in Richmond, so there must be that many more in the Chicago area. There are also several outlets on the Internet, if you Google "foam rubber."

Just wondering: Do you think they pack the foam rubber in foam rubber when they ship it? :rofl2:

#4 evilmedic13

evilmedic13

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:25 AM

Thanks MB.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics