Astro-Physics APCC is here

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 mewmartigan

mewmartigan

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:04 AM

Looks like AP is finally getting their Astro Physics Command Center software out. The yahoo group says they are now taking orders for the "S" chip that needs to go in the control box for APCC to work.

http://www.astro-phy...tware/apcc/apcc

I haven't decided if I will jump in yet or wait.

Good to see it coming though and can't wait until people's thoughts/reviews start rolling in!

#2 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Loc: Toronto, Ontario

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:35 AM

Marcus, could you give us a run-down of what this chip will add to my Mach 1 mount's capabilities. The email I got from AP didn't specify....

Thanks

Dave

#3 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:08 AM

The APCC I saw running at ASAE was pretty neat. It does a pointing model automatically using plate solves of the sky, then uses the data on how the mount moved to correct its tracking (yes, you read that right- not just GOTO pointing, but rates as well).

Quite interesting. I am wondering if you can feed it data from a DSLR.

From what they were saying, not all mounts need the upgrade.

-Rich

#4 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:24 AM

in order to plate solve you need a camera with an ASCOM driver (or native driver for maxim/ccdops/etc)

i know that backyardEOS can download images from a DSLR automatically via the USB cable.. but can it be controlled via ASCOM?

#5 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:29 AM

Ok, after some reading on the AP site:

Only GTO CP3 controllers can be upgraded to the S chip.

Only AP 3600s after Oct 15, 2012 shipped with the S chip.

All AP 1600s have the S chip.

AP900 or Mach 1 mounts shipping now can get the S chip as a $65 upgrade.

No AP 900 or Mach 1 mounts with the S chip shipped without you knowing about it.

If you want AP to install the chip, send them the GTOCP3 unit and they'll do it for $45.

This is a biggie: GTO cp3 controllers with version Q or earlier will lose all PEC and other data as a result of the S chip upgrade. So, if like me, you've been happy with Wally's PEC track and won't be immediately able to run the mount with the whole APCC suite to generate a new one, this is a good time to think twice. I'll need to look at what version is in mine from June 2011, and I'll post the result, here.

-Rich

#6 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:48 AM

So, my Mach 1 GTO controller shipped in June, 2011, is version Q. That means losing all the data. Maybe PEM Pro can read it off the mount. Anyone know for certain?

-Rich

#7 Ray Gralak

Ray Gralak

Vendor (PEMPro)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:29 AM

So, my Mach 1 GTO controller shipped in June, 2011, is version Q. That means losing all the data. Maybe PEM Pro can read it off the mount. Anyone know for certain?

-Rich

Hi Rich,

PEMPro can read the PEC table and restore it but I don't think the PEC Index is saved so you would have to reprogram the mount anyway. But if you don't have PEMPro you can always download the trial and use it to analyze and reprogram PEC. Besides, periodic error changes over time as the gears wear in so you want to occasionally confirm the mount's PEC curve is still doing a good job... and if not, reprogram it.

-Ray

#8 andysea

andysea

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:16 PM

I seem to remember that APCC is really effective if you have a permanent setup. For those who have to travel it might not be necessary as a new pointing model would have to be generated at every imaging session.
I see that they have a 30day trial version. Since I have the S chip I might download it and report back. I will have to wait for better weather here in the NW which means months from now :(

Andy

#9 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:52 PM

Don't AP mounts come with a PemPro license?

I could've sworn I read that in the literature somewhere..

#10 Peter in Reno

Peter in Reno

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Reno, NV

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:59 PM

Not for Mach1GTO. Only for AP-900 or bigger.

Peter

#11 andysea

andysea

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:29 PM

That's correct. The Mach1 does not come with Pempro, It's not that expensive tho. Orlando did you eventually get a Mach1?

Andy

#12 korborh

korborh

Viking 1

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:44 PM

"S" chip is $80. Why so expensive :shrug:
Pass.....

#13 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:54 PM

Andy, no, not yet. Still wrestling with the possibility of that JPZ..

#14 wiruna

wiruna

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:52 AM

Pass.....

Well, it IS Astro-Physics, so expect to get your money's worth.

#15 gavinm

gavinm

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Auckland New Zealand

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:28 AM

You're talking about a $10,000+ mount - is $80 expensive?

#16 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:42 AM

Thanks for writing back on this, Ray. That clears up a lot about what to expect.

-Rich

-Rich

Hi Rich,

PEMPro can read the PEC table and restore it but I don't think the PEC Index is saved so you would have to reprogram the mount anyway. But if you don't have PEMPro you can always download the trial and use it to analyze and reprogram PEC. Besides, periodic error changes over time as the gears wear in so you want to occasionally confirm the mount's PEC curve is still doing a good job... and if not, reprogram it.

-Ray

#17 BlueGrass

BlueGrass

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Wasatch Front, UT

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:43 AM

APCC is something many mount owners have been looking forward to for some time. I have a few AP items on my wish list and have been waiting for the release of APCC. Just in time for Christmas.

#18 chboss

chboss

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Zurich Switzerland

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:50 AM

Orly for permanent installation I am also considering the Tak JPZ if one comes up used.... ;)

best regards
Chris

#19 Calypte

Calypte

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Anza, California

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:52 AM

Pass.....

How much should it cost, then?

#20 Joe Cipriano

Joe Cipriano

Entropy Personified

• Loc: Uh... anyone have a GPS?

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:03 AM

Orly for permanent installation I am also considering the Tak JPZ if one comes up used.... ;)

best regards
Chris

Coincidentally, there's a JP-Z on that other site right now. I don't have a membership (anymore), so I don't have price or other particulars.

Apologies for the short OT, folks. NJPs don't show up on the used market all that often; figured Chris might want to know about it.

#21 korborh

korborh

Viking 1

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:10 AM

Its not AP that manufactures these chips....just programs them. Chips are mass manufactured.
I don't know what exact chip it is, but $80 for a ROM chip seems overly expensive. I'd be interested to know the chip details though that make them so costly assuming AP is not marking them up 5x.

#22 BlueGrass

BlueGrass

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Wasatch Front, UT

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:38 AM

Perhaps to salve the underlying complaint about how expensive AP equipment is, the replacement ROM should be included with the purchase of APCC? $80? AP? ... sounds about right to me ... :question:

#23 Ray Gralak

Ray Gralak

Vendor (PEMPro)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:03 AM

Its not AP that manufactures these chips....just programs them. Chips are mass manufactured.
I don't know what exact chip it is, but $80 for a ROM chip seems overly expensive. I'd be interested to know the chip details though that make them so costly assuming AP is not marking them up 5x.

First, these chips are not your typical ROM. The part itself is expensive (I heard $30-35). That doesn't include the labor cost to program the chips.

Plus, I know that there was a lot of development and testing time that went into this new version. The new chip significantly improves the robustness of the mount when used with the AP V2 ASCOM driver. I think that AP has the right to recoup some of the development costs that went into making this chip. I really find it interesting that people are complaining about the cost of this chip. If $80 is too much for you then don't upgrade, but don't complain about the price. It is very reasonable considering the price of these mounts.

-Ray Gralak

#24 Ray Gralak

Ray Gralak

Vendor (PEMPro)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:10 AM

Perhaps to salve the underlying complaint about how expensive AP equipment is, the replacement ROM should be included with the purchase of APCC? $80? AP? ... sounds about right to me ... :question:

And when mounts start shipping with the new chip they would expect a $80 discount if they buy APCC.

The pricing was set individually because some people might not want both APCC and the "S" chip. Some might not want either. You can pick what you want.

-Ray Gralak

#25 FaronD

FaronD

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Richmond Hill, Ontario

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:23 AM

I seem to remember that APCC is really effective if you have a permanent setup. For those who have to travel it might not be necessary as a new pointing model would have to be generated at every imaging session.
I see that they have a 30day trial version. Since I have the S chip I might download it and report back. I will have to wait for better weather here in the NW which means months from now :(

Andy

Hi Andy, what benefits did you gain by adding the S-chip to your Mach 1? I understand it is required for the APCC software, are there any new features besides that?

Thanks
Faron

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics