• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#26 BlueGrass

BlueGrass

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Wasatch Front, UT

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:25 AM

Ray,
+1. People need to keep in mind that AP is not some large, mass production concern operating out of China. There is a reason AP equipment is held in such high regard and it has nothing to do with the cost of their products.

#27 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:33 AM

Perhaps to salve the underlying complaint about how expensive AP equipment is, the replacement ROM should be included with the purchase of APCC? $80? AP? ... sounds about right to me ... :question:

And when mounts start shipping with the new chip they would expect a $80 discount if they buy APCC.

The pricing was set individually because some people might not want both APCC and the "S" chip. Some might not want either. You can pick what you want.

-Ray Gralak

Thanks for the post, Ray.

David

#28 andysea

andysea

Apollo

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:00 PM

Hi Faron,
The S chip became available as I ordered the mach1. For $65 it sounded like a no-brainer upgrade. I ordered it mostly for resale value.

Andy

#29 wiruna

wiruna

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:03 PM

Hi Faron,
The S chip became available as I ordered the mach1. For $65 it sounded like a no-brainer upgrade. I ordered it mostly for resale value.

Andy

Similar experience for me. I got a new AP900 in August and I still qualify for the $65 upgrade. Cost of a new mount plus shipping and Australian taxes made the $65 a clear no-brainer.
Geoff

#30 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:34 PM

Any differences for standalone operation?

-Rich

#31 korborh

korborh

Viking 1

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:31 PM

I really find it interesting that people are complaining about the cost of this chip. If $80 is too much for you then don't upgrade, but don't complain about the price. It is very reasonable considering the price of these mounts. -Ray Gralak

Ray, if you read my post, I deemed $80 as expensive and decided not to upgrade. Not complaining, just want to understand the price. Hopefully someone will post the chip details when they get it.

BTW, price of mount has nothing to do with the price of the chip.

#32 M13 Observer

M13 Observer

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:53 PM

I really find it interesting that people are complaining about the cost of this chip. If $80 is too much for you then don't upgrade, but don't complain about the price. It is very reasonable considering the price of these mounts. -Ray Gralak

Ray, if you read my post, I deemed $80 as expensive and decided not to upgrade. Not complaining, just want to understand the price. Hopefully someone will post the chip details when they get it.

Not sure what you mean by "chip details when they get it". I can tell you that it won't look any different than the square one that is in your CP3 right now. The software/firmware on it will allow you to do certain things you could not do previously IF you have additional software which will take advantage of it.

#33 Ray Gralak

Ray Gralak

Vendor (PEMPro)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:07 PM

That's not what I said. I said the price of the chip is inexpensive compared to the price of the mount. The cost of the chip includes the physical cost of the chip, labor to program it, and the amortized cost of its development. Again, no one is forcing you to buy it. If you are happy with the firmware you have then that's great.

-Ray

#34 Ray Gralak

Ray Gralak

Vendor (PEMPro)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:08 PM

Not sure what you mean by "chip details when they get it". I can tell you that it won't look any different than the square one that is in your CP3 right now. The software/firmware on it will allow you to do certain things you could not do previously IF you have additional software which will take advantage of it.

Some of the additional software is free and already available. The V2 ASCOM driver takes advantage of many of the new commands, the most significant of which are those that can read the mount state. So, without initializing the mount the ASCOM driver will know the complete state of the mount. If another application or the keypad changes the mount state, the driver will now see the change and diaplay it. There is a new command that will prevent the mount from tracking after a power cycle, thus preventing one common case of the mount "getting lost" or losing pointing accuracy. Other improvements and refinements have been made to improve accuracy and robustness when tracking, slewing and parking.

-Ray

#35 gavinm

gavinm

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Auckland New Zealand

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:47 PM

I agree completely. What I find fascinating is the consumer psyche where people will pay tens of thousands of dollars on hardware, but consider $100 for some software to use it to its full capabilities too expensive. Happens all the time. Not exactly the same in this case, but you see what I mean. Not meant to be a criticism..sorry if you took it that way.

#36 korborh

korborh

Viking 1

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:48 PM

Other improvements and refinements have been made to improve accuracy and robustness when tracking, slewing and parking. -Ray

Ray, where can one find the details of these accuracy improvements?

#37 korborh

korborh

Viking 1

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:55 PM

What I find fascinating is the consumer psyche where people will pay tens of thousands of dollars on hardware, but consider $100 for some software to use it to its full capabilities too expensive.

Depends on how useful the added capabilities are to the particular consumers' needs.
And there are also consumers who will throw money on stuff without knowing enough to know they need it.

#38 Ray Gralak

Ray Gralak

Vendor (PEMPro)

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:58 AM

Other improvements and refinements have been made to improve accuracy and robustness when tracking, slewing and parking. -Ray

Ray, where can one find the details of these accuracy improvements?

I'm not sure that you can, but I gave you one example... that is the power cycle scenario. If the mount was not parked the accuracy of the RA position can be compromised. That's because there is usually a non-zero time between the time power is applied and mount initialization. This causes an error in RA position equal to the time it takes to initialize the mount. The error doesn't happen if you park the mount but can anyway if power is unexpectedly lost or an application unknowingly starts tracking after the mount was parked.

-Ray

#39 JMW

JMW

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:59 PM

I just put in the order for the S chip. I also ordered a 24 pound counterweight. I am looking forward to APCC. I will feel more confident about letting the mount go unattended while imaging after set up mount limits.

My biggest challenge will be using PEMpro to reprogram the periodic error after upgrading the chip. I have been using the mount for about 8 months so maybe its time to use PEMpro anyway.

I have been very happy with the AP900GTO mount. It is a very well made mount and it so much nicer than my old Atlas for imaging. I now can image from 420mm to 2800mm in focal length. My 20 minute exposures at 2800mm look much better than my 5 minute 800mm ones ever did on the Atlas.

#40 M13 Observer

M13 Observer

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:31 PM

My 20 minute exposures at 2800mm look much better than my 5 minute 800mm ones ever did on the Atlas.

+1

#41 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

• Loc: Palo alto, CA.

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:03 AM

Does this upgrade do anything for (lack of) cone error in the original config?

#42 Footbag

Footbag

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Scranton, PA

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:54 AM

Very cool to see this come out. I'm taking a wait and see approach. I'm mostly portable, so I rarely need to control the mount with my laptop. Hopefully that will change next spring with a new remotely operated observatory.

#43 Aircrftr

Aircrftr

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Claremore OK

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:41 PM

RAY;

Will this do anything to improve guiding near the poles?

#44 korborh

korborh

Viking 1

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:24 PM

Ray, thanks for the info!

#45 Tom and Beth

Tom and Beth

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:56 PM

Seeing this thread, I finally downloaded Ascom6 and the AP V2 for my Obs mounted 1200. The Ascom/AP V2 Tutorial on Ray's web site was easy to follow. Now I can work more intelligently with Virtual Moon Atlas and perhaps resolve the issue with Earth Centered Universe interfacing with a 64 bit installation.

As you can see, not an early adopter ;-)

Thanks, Ray! Now to pay more attention to the wealth of posts here and on APs web site regarding APCC.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics