• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 thecrustychicken

thecrustychicken

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:01 AM

Greetings everyone,

I have the Nexstar 8 original (Not SE or GPS). I have a Canon D60 and adapter tube so I can put the camera on the scope. Problem is, the camera is too heavy for the current clutch settings. Scope just moves down.. Is there a clutch adjustment, and if so, will it mess up my scope trying to mount it to the scope because of the weight. Anyone have any experience with adjusting the clutch?

Any insight would be great...

Thanks

Justin

#2 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:58 AM

Hi Justin:

Adjusting the clutch may help, and there are instructions on how to do it in the sticky notes at the top of this forum.

However, for best performance on gotos and tracking, the scope really needs to be well balanced. If the camera is causing it to drift, I'd think about balancing first. You can loosen the dovetail clamp and move the scope forward on the rail to get better balance.

If you can't get it far enough forward to balance, then you'll need to add a rail extension. There's links in the sticky notes on how to do this and what your options are. You'll probably want to use the "Ron's Rail" option.

-Dan

#3 Tel

Tel

Cosmos

• Loc: Wallingford England

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:27 AM

Hi Dan,

If Justin is using an original Nexstar 8, there is no Vixen rail. This 'scope is fixed to the single arm of the mount, like my Nexstar 8i once was.

There are, I think, only two alternatives here: namely to adjust the clutch a little tighter, (which if not excessive does no harm), or to fit a "Ray's Bracket".

At this time therefore, I'd be inclined to tighten the clutch to overcome the problem but ultimately, fit a "Ray's Bracket".

You can't beat it for this and the Nexstar "i" series of 'scopes !

Here for interest, if you're not aware of this accessory, Justin, is the link:

http://www.buyastros...-frame-page.htm

Best regards,
Tel

#4 Tel

Tel

Cosmos

• Loc: Wallingford England

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:07 AM

By the way, Justin, I've just noticed you only joined us on the 14th Nov. ! :foreheadslap:

A very warm welcome to CN and to this particular forum ! :bow::bow:

Best regards,
Tel

#5 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:28 PM

If Justin is using an original Nexstar 8, there is no Vixen rail.

Good point, Tel! I missed that in reading the original post. :bow:

-Dan

#6 thecrustychicken

thecrustychicken

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:01 PM

Hey guys, thanks for the responses. I'll look in the sticky notes about the clutch adjustments. But I think I will check out the rail mount so I can get the scope balanced. I'm working on getting my scope remote controlled over wifi so I can sit inside with the family and drive the scope around in the back yard. I'm almost there!!! I found out instead of mounting a spare laptop on the tripod, I'm going to get a serial to IP adapter so I can drive the scope around from inside. Got the camera working over the wifi, just got to get all the bugs worked out of the control. Going to use my IP security camera at first, but want to snap some photos with the cannon. I have 5 to 7 hours reserved on the TSU scope that is right outside of town. Going to hook my D60 up to that puppy and take some photos coming up mid December... I'll post some photos when I'm done... It's a 32" Ritchey-Chretien reflecting telescope... I'm so excited. Thanks again for your help....

Attached Files

#7 thecrustychicken

thecrustychicken

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:02 PM

Another photo

Attached Files

#8 thecrustychicken

thecrustychicken

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:04 PM

Photo of my NexStar 8 project in the works...

Thanks for the welcome!!!

Attached Files

#9 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:44 PM

I think you should see if you can swap out that little-bitty silver tube for the big blue one and take it home. I don't think anyone would notice. ;)

-Dan

#10 Peter9

Peter9

Aurora

• Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:03 AM

:funny:

You silly a... :rofl2:

Regards. Peter

#11 thecrustychicken

thecrustychicken

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:42 AM

If only I could figure out a way to get it in my jeep... Maybe a trailer... Hmmmmm... :)

#12 Arthur Dent

Arthur Dent

Galactic Hitch-Hiker

• Loc: South Yorkshire, UK

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:47 PM

Damn!

We're all suffering from a combination of scope envy (and observatory envy for those of us that have one)!

A warm welcome to the forum Justin, if I haven't welcomed you already. Sadly, Dr Altzheimer can't remember!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Art

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics