Photo

Second Leica Vario 25x-50x ASPH Zoom In the House

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#1 Bob S.

Bob S.

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:32 AM

Astro Buds, I have been so absolutely blown away by the Leica 8.9mm-17.9mm zoom that I had to buy another one! The thought of accidentally disabling the one I had was too much for me to contemplate and so I bought another one :foreheadslap:

Andreas' extensive testing and others' input has simply proven itself time and time again in both slow refractor, medium and fast Newtonians. My problem going forward is to determine what eyepieces in my extensive collection are going to stay and which will go? They are all(various ep's) very delightful jewels to look through and I am going to very slowly begin to sell those that get less use in the future. Only time will tell me which ones stay and which ones can be moved on. I do not plan to make a hasty decision. I tried putting the Leica ASPH's in my 2" Seibert Elite 45mm binoviewers and unfortunately, my inter pupillary distance is too small. However, I do have the ASPH's predecessor 1.25" 7.3mm-22mm zooms winging their way to me and it will be interesting to see what binoviewing pairs go on the auction block?

#2 Kent10

Kent10

Apollo

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:47 AM

Wow, Bob. Buying one for backup really does demonstrate how blown away you are with the zoom. Congrats! I saw on AM that you have sold your ZAO's and Brandons. That also shows how enamored you are with the zoom. Too bad you can't use them in a BV but I bet the older zooms will do the trick. Let us know what you think.

With your enthusiasm for these and reading all the great reviews, I too, have been considering getting a pair. My IPD is 65mm so I should be able to use them. Still it is quite a bit of money so I have been thinking carefully about it and if I really want 2. How is everyone enjoying the use of their zooms in a BV? Is it too inconvenient lining up the zoom setting or still better than the alternative of using single focal length EPs?

So far for bino pairs I have 28 RKE, 24 Pans and Brandons, 20 TV Plossl, 16 and 12 Brandons and 10 Pentax XW. This is all new to me but I really like using the BV. I have to do more testing to see if I prefer the BV for DSO as well. The last time I tried it on DSO I really enjoyed it but I realize it might be dimmer.

Bob, did you buy your zooms from APM with their adapter? Is this it?
http://www.apm-teles...a=aadc1c0db9...

Does the adapter add anything to the 59mm width of the zoom. I see there is a Starlight adapter you can buy in the US but it is quite a bit more expensive. http://starlightinst.../product&pro...

As you probably know, Tammy had this made and is using it. I wonder what the advantages are of this adapter apart from quick removal for use in a spotting scope. I think it has a larger diameter too which would make it less good for BV. Does anyone know if that is right?

Bob. I have a few questions. I hope you don’t feel I am hijacking your thread with my questions. Let me know and I can start my own thread.

Bob, did you have to pay duty in the US for your zooms from APM. Anyone else? How much?

If I get the APM 2” adapter will this fit on the adapter to use in the BV
http://agenaastro.co...14-2458105.html

I also have a 2 inch 2X powermate. Does this work well with the Leica zoom. I see many are using the Zeiss or the Baader VIP Modular barlows. Of course for BV I should be set with the GPC. I have all 3.

Thanks and once again Bob congrats on your new zooms and being able to get rid of so many expensive eyepieces. I think there is something nice about keeping it simple.

Thanks, Kent

#3 Starman81

Starman81

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:22 PM

Bob, good luck doing away with some of your quality EP's in favor of the zoom. I don't have the venerable Leica Aspheric Zoom, but anytime I do get a high quality EP that I think will replace other(s), I just get tempted to keep both. Unless you really need to, you will be tempted to keep them all. A concerned glance from the wife at the exponentially growing eyepiece collection usually does the trick to get some EP's on the selling block though! :lol:

#4 andydj5xp

andydj5xp

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: 52.269 N/10.571 E

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:21 PM

Astro Buds, I have been so absolutely blown away by the Leica 8.9mm-17.9mm zoom that I had to buy another one! The thought of accidentally disabling the one I had was too much for me to contemplate and so I bought another one :foreheadslap:

Andreas' extensive testing and others' input has simply proven itself time and time again in both slow refractor, medium and fast Newtonians. My problem going forward is to determine what eyepieces in my extensive collection are going to stay and which will go? They are all(various ep's) very delightful jewels to look through and I am going to very slowly begin to sell those that get less use in the future. Only time will tell me which ones stay and which ones can be moved on. I do not plan to make a hasty decision. I tried putting the Leica ASPH's in my 2" Seibert Elite 45mm binoviewers and unfortunately, my inter pupillary distance is too small. However, I do have the ASPH's predecessor 1.25" 7.3mm-22mm zooms winging their way to me and it will be interesting to see what binoviewing pairs go on the auction block?

Bob, that's for sure interesting information. I have no doubt that eventually most of your fixed focal length eyepieces will have found another home. And since your fixed eyepieces are mostly jewels the money raised from the sale will easily exceed the spent money for the zooms.

Your binoviewing pairs should be prepared to say goodbye also some time after arrival of the 22-7.3mm Leica zooms. Two Leica zooms in a binoviewer will make all other members of your eyepiece collection kind of redundant.

Andreas

#5 Bob S.

Bob S.

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:19 PM

Bob, that's for sure interesting information. I have no doubt that eventually most of your fixed focal length eyepieces will have found another home. And since your fixed eyepieces are mostly jewels the money raised from the sale will easily exceed the spent money for the zooms.

Your binoviewing pairs should be prepared to say goodbye also some time after arrival of the 22-7.3mm Leica zooms. Two Leica zooms in a binoviewer will make all other members of your eyepiece collection kind of redundant.

Andreas

Andreas, The 7.3-22mm Leica Vario Zooms showed up today from APM with the 1.25" adapters. I put them together and your were correct, I am able to merge the image even with my rather small IPD. It was forecast to be clear tonight but was raining an hour ago. Must be the new equipment curse.

I will let you and everyone know how they work when the skies clear.

Bob

#6 Bob S.

Bob S.

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:21 PM

Kent, The link you have to APM is correct. They cost 730 Euros with the 2" adapter shipped.

#7 Kent10

Kent10

Apollo

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:57 PM

Thanks Bob. I was just out viewing the sun and I really like the BV. I tried my Pentax XW 10mm in the BV and I don't think they are as comfortable as my other smaller pairs. I get the kidney beaning more easily. It did get better with practice but I wonder how it would be with the Leica zoom pairs. Can't wait to hear how you like the older pair. Maybe I need more space for my nose. The IPD isn't a problem. Or maybe it is the longer eye relief of the Pentax but it is easier to control with just 1 eyepiece. It would sure be nice to try the Leica before buying but that is not going to happen. I just remembered I didn't adjust the eyecups on the Pentax and that may help too.

#8 Bob S.

Bob S.

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:34 PM

Andreas, What are the focal length values on the Leica 20x-60x zoom? I noticed that the zoom mechanism works quite differently than the ASPH in that the zooming eyepiece lens movement in the ASPH is internal while the 20x-60x zooms external bottom lens physically moves. Bob

#9 oron

oron

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:36 PM

Bob, greetings from Ohio and the new home of the Starmaster you sold to me.! Just to let you know, as a good student, I have been practicing setting it up, etc., and am thrilled with the purchase. The Paracorr II just arrived today. As to the Leica zoom, is the one you recommended to Kent the one I should purchase for my Starmaster thru APM (to wit: "Leica Zoom Eyepiece ASPH. 17.8-8.9mm with 2" Adapter and M48 Filterhead" ? Thanks. Ron

#10 Bob S.

Bob S.

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:25 PM

Bob, greetings from Ohio and the new home of the Starmaster you sold to me.! Just to let you know, as a good student, I have been practicing setting it up, etc., and am thrilled with the purchase. The Paracorr II just arrived today. As to the Leica zoom, is the one you recommended to Kent the one I should purchase for my Starmaster thru APM (to wit: "Leica Zoom Eyepiece ASPH. 17.8-8.9mm with 2" Adapter and M48 Filterhead" ? Thanks. Ron

Ron, You are indeed a good "student"! Congrats on that exquisite 16.5" FX Starmaster. The ep I recommended to Kent is indeed the proper one from APM Germany and is 720 Euros including the 2" adapter shipped. I just received my Leica Vario older style zooms today (ones on the left side of the picture) and also now have a pair of the ASPH's (right side of picture). It just so happens that in the Siebert Elite 45 BV's, I may have sufficient IPD to merge an image? I will not know until tomorrow night when it clears up. Here is a picture of both sets of zooms in binoviewers. Have a great time with that Starmaster and I think you will love the ASPH.

Attached Files

#11 oron

oron

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:39 PM

Bob, those binos with the zooms look fantastic! I hope they meet your expectations in every way, as being able to put both eyes on the image would be great---and in this regard, please pass on any recommendations you may have--in this thread or other ---or email---regarding binos for my Starmaster in the future. Thanks for confirming the APM Leica info---although at the APM site it says 799 Euros---don't know why---and APM lists 3 different versions of the same Vario. Thanks for info---and I think you said to mate it with the Baader VIP Barlow. Ron

#12 Bob S.

Bob S.

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:52 PM

Bob, those binos with the zooms look fantastic! I hope they meet your expectations in every way, as being able to put both eyes on the image would be great---and in this regard, please pass on any recommendations you may have--in this thread or other ---or email---regarding binos for my Starmaster in the future. Thanks for confirming the APM Leica info---although at the APM site it says 799 Euros---don't know why---and APM lists 3 different versions of the same Vario. Thanks for info---and I think you said to mate it with the Baader VIP Barlow. Ron

Ron, You have to deduct the Value Added Tax (VAT) that Europeans have to pay which I think is 8%?

#13 oron

oron

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:07 PM

Oh, I forgot about the VAT---thanks. Bob, you've really got me thinking now, since I don't own any modern eyepieces as yet----maybe I should consider a binoviewer BEFORE I consider purchasing any zooms?---Ahh, so much to experience, so little time, and as ponder the viewing possibilities, so much $ to put out there to do it all!! And I thought that maybe golf would be an expensive diversion!!! Ron

#14 oron

oron

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:14 PM

By the way, how long did it take for APM to process your order thru delivery? Ron

#15 oron

oron

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:52 PM

Calling it a night, Bob. Am looking forward to your updated binoviewer report. Once again, thank you for the scope and your assistance as I reenter the hobby. It was great meeting you personally, and look forward to seeing you again sometime, perhaps at one of those warm weather star parties!
And I also look forward to your new scope report.
Regards, Ron

#16 andydj5xp

andydj5xp

Apollo

• -----

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:11 AM

Andreas, What are the focal length values on the Leica 20x-60x zoom? I noticed that the zoom mechanism works quite differently than the ASPH in that the zooming eyepiece lens movement in the ASPH is internal while the 20x-60x zooms external bottom lens physically moves. Bob

Bob,

the white magnification inscriptions (20x to 60x) on the Leica zoom 22-7.3mm are valid if the zoom is used in a scope with 440mm focal length (genuinely: the Leica Apo Televid 77). The corresponding focal lengths are as follows: 20x=22mm; 30x=14.7mm; 40x=11mm; 50x=8.1mm; 60x=7.3mm.

The zooming mechanism of the 22-7.3mm zoom is indeed different from the 17.8-8.9mm ASPH zoom. In consequence of this the "old" zoom is waterproof only when attatched to the spotting scope while the ASPH is waterproof already stand alone. But that's no issue at all.

Andreas

#17 Bob S.

Bob S.

Surveyor 1

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:04 AM

By the way, how long did it take for APM to process your order thru delivery? Ron

Ron, Shipping time from Germany seems to run between 7-10 business days. They are sent airmail and generally leave Germany within 2 days. Have fun with scope and remember the tradition of providing a "first light" report. Bob

#18 RAKing

RAKing

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:21 AM

Oh, I forgot about the VAT---thanks. Bob, you've really got me thinking now, since I don't own any modern eyepieces as yet----maybe I should consider a binoviewer BEFORE I consider purchasing any zooms?---Ahh, so much to experience, so little time, and as ponder the viewing possibilities, so much $ to put out there to do it all!! And I thought that maybe golf would be an expensive diversion!!! Ron

Bob got it right. The best way to order is to send an email to Markus. He will come back with the price minus VAT and you can easily send the money through PayPal.

Congrats on your new Dob and I wish you many nights of joy!

BTW - Astronomy might seem expensive as you load up with new toys, but the cost for actually using these toys is modest compared to golf, etc. Want an expensive hobby? I used to buy and sell airplanes. I quit that hobby and came back to astronomy so I could actually save some money for retirement. :roflmao:

Cheers,

Ron

#19 RAKing

RAKing

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:25 AM

Andreas, The 7.3-22mm Leica Vario Zooms showed up today from APM with the 1.25" adapters. I put them together and your were correct, I am able to merge the image even with my rather small IPD. It was forecast to be clear tonight but was raining an hour ago. Must be the new equipment curse.

Bob

Bob, you are scaring me! My IPD is also too narrow to binoview eyepieces like Pentax XW and I have been happily cruising along with my Pans and Brandons.

I'm not sure I really want to know what you think of the Leica Varios. It could be expensive. :tonofbricks:

Cheers,

Ron

#20 Bob S.

Bob S.

Surveyor 1

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:47 AM

Bob

Bob, you are scaring me! My IPD is also too narrow to binoview eyepieces like Pentax XW and I have been happily cruising along with my Pans and Brandons.

I'm not sure I really want to know what you think of the Leica Varios. It could be expensive. :tonofbricks:

Cheers,

Ron

Fellow Pin Heads: The results are in from this morning's viewing session and it is not favorable for us narrow-eyed folks. I too cannot use Pentax XW's due to a 56mm IPD. With the Leica Vario 20x-60x zooms this morning. I could merge the image at the lowest power settings but could not merge the image at the high power settings. I guesstimate that you probably need at least 60mm or better to be able to use the full range of these zooms. I also couldn't get the images to merge in my 2" Sieberts. The eyepieces were close enough together but the combination of my physiology with the zooms was not a good match.

I also attempted to use the ASPH's in the 2" Siebert and it too was a no go. It is a shame that God gave me such a pin head. My wife commented this morning that she is wall-eyed. Maybe I will use her as a surrogate observer for my BV/zoom sessions :lol: "Tell me what your seeing honey. How does the Great Red Spot look tonight?" Sheesh. Guess they will be up for sale shortly <sob>. Bob

#21 Sgt

Sgt

Apollo

• Loc: Under the southern horn of the bull

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:15 AM

Hi Bob, I'd be interested to hear how the ASPH does in your incoming f/3.

#22 Bob S.

Bob S.

Surveyor 1

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:35 AM

Hi Bob, I'd be interested to hear how the ASPH does in your incoming f/3.

I will report that when I get it operational. I was almost going to bring it up to Illinois this past weekend and plan to bring one up when I go to fetch the scope. If we have seeing conditions that allow views of Jupiter, I will try it out. I will have lots of time at home to try it out.

#23 andydj5xp

andydj5xp

Apollo

• -----

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:38 AM

Bob

Cheers,

Ron

Fellow Pin Heads: The results are in from this morning's viewing session and it is not favorable for us narrow-eyed folks. I too cannot use Pentax XW's due to a 56mm IPD. With the Leica Vario 20x-60x zooms this morning. I could merge the image at the lowest power settings but could not merge the image at the high power settings. I guesstimate that you probably need at least 60mm or better to be able to use the full range of these zooms. I also couldn't get the images to merge in my 2" Sieberts. The eyepieces were close enough together but the combination of my physiology with the zooms was not a good match.

I also attempted to use the ASPH's in the 2" Siebert and it too was a no go. It is a shame that God gave me such a pin head. My wife commented this morning that she is wall-eyed. Maybe I will use her as a surrogate observer for my BV/zoom sessions :lol: "Tell me what your seeing honey. How does the Great Red Spot look tonight?" Sheesh. Guess they will be up for sale shortly <sob>. Bob

Bob, don't give up too soon!

First, you could try to generally use the 22-7.3mm zooms barlowed. This would enable using short focal lengths with their long focal lengths settings where you still can merge the images.

Second, you could mechanically modify the zoom's adapters to enable the zooms getting closer together.

Third, you could convert the eyecups into narrower ones as described here for the ASPHs.

Or a mixture of all three modifications. I'm still hopeful that you could find a satisfying solution.

Andreas

#24 RAKing

RAKing

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:45 AM

Cheers,

Ron

Personally, I am very sorry to hear this news. Having a narrow IPD has limited my BV options over the years, but it is still a wonderful experience overall.

While my piggy bank is doing a "Happy Dance", I hope you try Andreas' suggestions and I hope you get better results.

Cheers,

Ron

#25 mark8888

mark8888

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:21 AM

I'm also sorry to hear this news, and hope you can work it out. They look awesome on the binoviewers!
I'm curious if you've ever tried to bino a pair of Delos, and if that worked for you. The eye lens is smaller on the Leica, but looking at the width of the barrel of the 10mm Delos next to the Leica, it seems pretty similar.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics