• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#76 Peter Natscher

Peter Natscher

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central Coast California

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:34 AM

I've got the 2" adapter for one-eyed zoom use. My IPD is also 60.5mm and am not sure that this zoom would work for me side-by-side in my Mark V bino.

Here is the 1 1/4" adapter Markus provides. A nice quality piece for $70 euro. A 2" is also available to order...

http://www.apm-teles...125-fuer-Lei...

#77 Tamiji Homma

Tamiji Homma

Gemini

• Loc: California, USA

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:49 PM

Hi Peter,

My IPD is about same as you, 60.5mm.

A pair of Leica zoom eyepieces worked for me.
Nose clearance may get in the way, though.

To be honest, it is too bulky. I rarely use the combination.

Posted Image

Tammy

#78 t.r.

t.r.

Skylab

• Loc: 1123,6536,5321

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:32 PM

And that is precisely why I chose the older Leicas. The quality is just as good with alot less bulk. Compare the side-by-side pic on page one of this thread. Perfect for binoviewing! And I got two old zooms for the price of one Aspheric. But most people have to have the latest and greatest(the Aspheric is newer and wider fov) and as a result...can't see the forest for the trees. ;)

#79 Peter Natscher

Peter Natscher

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:47 PM

What's the OD of the barrel (in mm) of your two non-ASPH Leica zooms? Is there enough nose clearance between the two when set at 60.5 mm IPD? How much smaller and lighter in weight are they compared to the ASH's?

And that is precisely why I chose the older Leicas. The quality is just as good with alot less bulk. Compare the side-by-side pic on page one of this thread. Perfect for binoviewing! And I got two old zooms for the price of one Aspheric. But most people have to have the latest and greatest and as a result...can't see the forest for the trees. ;)

#80 t.r.

t.r.

Skylab

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:58 PM

Peter, If you go into the vendor forum and go back through APM/Markus's posts about the zooms being available, in one of them he gives the dimension differences. I don't have an ASPH to compare to. There is no problem for my 60.5 IDP and the bridge of my nose fitting. The zooms don't touch, but there isn't much room either. My nose bridge just rides over the gap. There was one combination where I did have to put the eye cups down to take in the full view, but can't remember which position (lowest or highest power) it occurred. Mine measured approx 52.38mm.

#81 Peter Natscher

Peter Natscher

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:00 PM

The Leica Zoom ASPH + VIP Barlow is quite a long combination.

Tammy: your Leica's have larger OD 2" adapters. Markus gave me a smaller OD-sized 2" adapter.

And that is precisely why I chose the older Leicas. The quality is just as good with alot less bulk. Compare the side-by-side pic on page one of this thread. Perfect for binoviewing! And I got two old zooms for the price of one Aspheric. But most people have to have the latest and greatest(the Aspheric is newer and wider fov) and as a result...can't see the forest for the trees. ;)

Attached Files

#82 t.r.

t.r.

Skylab

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:09 PM

Just measured approx. 52.38mm for old zoom diameter.

#83 Tamiji Homma

Tamiji Homma

Gemini

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:53 PM

Tammy: your Leica's have larger OD 2" adapters. Markus gave me a smaller OD-sized 2" adapter.

Hi Peter,

The Bayonet adapter isn't APM one but Starlight Instruments. I asked them to build the custom adapter a few years ago when I got the first eyepiece. There was no APM adapter when I bought one from Scope City :)

The adapter between two Leica Zoom eyepiece is supplied by APM when I bought the second Lecia ASPH zoom eyepiece from Markus. He sent it from Florida when he was at WSP.
Posted Image

The set screw is nylon tipped screw to prevent from rotating.
Posted Image

Here is bottom shot, with both M48 filter thread and M42 T thread, Baader #T2-14 on right
Posted Image

1.25" version , #T2-14 is attached to bottom of the adapter
Posted Image

Tammy

#84 Doug D.

Doug D.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:37 PM

Thanks for posting the photos Tammy. So, I guess my question would be whether the bottom of the ASPH eyepiece sits "lower" in the Starlight or APM 2" adapter? From the photo, it looks like it would in fact sit higher in the adapter Markus supplied? I guess same might be true of the APM 1.25" adapter. I suppose I should just hold out for Starlight to complete another run of their adapter.

#85 Tamiji Homma

Tamiji Homma

Gemini

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:48 PM

Hi Doug,

Are you looking for information about which adapter needs more inward focus distance in 2" and 1.25" mode?

Since I had two Starlight Instruments' adapters, I've never used APM adapter.
I don't have M48->M42 adapter to try 1.25" T2-14 with APM adapter but I can try 2" mode tomorrow.

Tammy

#86 Doug D.

Doug D.

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:00 PM

Hi Tammy,

Yes, that is essentially what I'm wondering. I have the Starlight adapter but just got a second zoom to use with my Mark V and wondering whether I should get a second Starlight adapter (and T2-14) or if I should just get a pair of 1.25" adapters from Markus. If one option required more or less in-focus that might help with a decision - perhaps any difference would be minimal. However, the 2" adapter you received from Markus (in your first photo above between the ASPH zooms) looks quite a bit longer than the Starlight version so I would imagine - at least in the case of the 2" adapter - that more in-focus is required with the APM vs. the Starlight...?

Whether the 1.25" APM adapter requires more in-focus than the Starlight plus T2-14 is a different matter.

Doug

#87 Tamiji Homma

Tamiji Homma

Gemini

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:39 PM

Hi Doug,

If you are going to use them in MarkV (ie: 1.25" mode), it seems to me that it is better getting two APM 1.25" adapters. The price of two APM adapters is fraction of Starlight one :)

If you are going to use 2" mode on two scopes at the same time, you can order additional APM 2" or Starlight one.

Here is recent adapter for Meopta Zoom, middle is APM Leica 2" adapter in March 2011 and Starlight one on right.

Posted Image

I am not certain but I thought Markus made lower profile 2" adapter for Leica... I could be wrong.

Tammy

#88 johnnyha

johnnyha

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:52 AM

Yes the current 2" adapter for the Leica ASPH looks like the one on the Meopta.

#89 Kurt Mihalco

Kurt Mihalco

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:56 PM

FWIW, I stopped by the Starlight Instruments booth at the recent Arizona Science & Astronomy Expo in Tucson and had a chat with Wayne Schroeder. He agreed that the price on the Leica adapter may have been putting people off, and said he would take a look and see if it could be reduced. Well, I just took a look a their website, and sure enough, the price has been reduced to $190 (Click the Blog link, it talks about it there). That certainly makes it a more interesting option...
Kurt

#90 Doug D.

Doug D.

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:11 AM

My understanding from Wayne was that the first batch of adapters was small in number and the price was so high because he was trying to recoup the design costs - he wasn't sure at time whether demand for this adapter would be high enough for another run.

I put my order in a few weeks ago for one of the reduced price adapters to go along with my first run adapter... Glad to see it is showing as in stock at reduced price. I hope mine is on the way - I'm anxious to try them out in my binoviewer.

#91 BadClams

BadClams

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Bossier City, LA

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:22 AM

Here is the 1 1/4" adapter Markus provides. A nice quality piece for $70 euro. A 2" is also available to order...

http://www.apm-teles...125-fuer-Lei...

Do you just have that one set screw in the adapter to hold the zoom? Looks like it will scar the barrel of the zoom?!?!

#92 t.r.

t.r.

Skylab

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:29 AM

There are three around, only scars if you over tighten them.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics