#1 PeterWar

PeterWar

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:38 PM

Hi guys,

This is a follow-up post of this one:

http://www.cloudynig...5443299/Main...

I bought the 3.5mm Nagler Type 6 to replace the radian, after some observing sessions with my 8" F5 Skywatcher newtonian I can say:

1-There's less ghosting than with the 4mm Radian, some still visible but I wouldn't say its an issue.
2-Field of view is great, some coma present in the outer part of the field, but that was expected at f5.
3-The size of the eyepiece is lovely, how can they fit such a complex design in such a small eyepiece?
4-At 3.5mm floaters start to interfere with planetarian observation on my left eye (which is the prominent one), vision on my right eye is still free of floaters.
5-Eyerelief is too tight for me.

I would like to elaborate on point 4,for some reason my eyes touch the lens before the eyeguard does, this is awkward.

I have to clean the lens of the eyepiece much more often than I would like to, after an hour of use the eyepiece is covered in a thin greasy film and I have to clean it again, don't like this.

What do you guys think should be my next step? I've been thinking of two options:

A- Try to replace the eyeguard with a longer one (don't know if that's possible)
B- Upgrade to 3.7mm Ethos SX or maybe 3.5mm Delos

Any recommendations?

Thanks for helping!

#2 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:46 PM

Any recommendations?

I have a 3.5 Nagler that I use in my 8 inch F/5 as well as various other scopes. I have never had any eye relief issues with it. As far as coma, I use it with a Paracorr and it is sharp to the edge.

Jon

#3 John Huntley

John Huntley

Viking 1

• Loc: South West England

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:03 PM

Over the past few years I've owned and really enjoyed all the T6 Naglers, including the 3.5mm. Recently though I've been slightly preferring the longer eye relief and even better (to my eyes) light scatter control of the Pentax XW's so I've now switched to those for the 5mm and 3.5mm focal lengths. I do miss the FoV and the compact size of the T6's from time to time though.

I found the 12mm eyerelief of the T6's quite manageable. I used them with the eye cups in the extended position to help get the correct eye positioning.

#4 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:06 PM

Any recommendations?

Thanks for helping!

Sell the nagler & Get yourself a 3.5mm Pentax XW! :jump:

*Nice, long eye relief
*Superior Optics
*70 degrees
*excellent contrast and transmission

Really easy to use for very long periods of time. I have the 10mm XW, 7mm XW and 5.2mm Pentax XL!

Cheers!

#5 Deep13

Deep13

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:55 PM

How do you think it would work as a planetary EP for the TV101 refractor?

#6 John Huntley

John Huntley

Viking 1

• Loc: South West England

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:01 PM

Very well. I used mine with my Vixen ED102SS which is an F/6.5. It gave me 189x and delivered some superb views of the planets.

#7 The Ardent

The Ardent

Apollo

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:28 AM

I have no problems with Type 6 Naglers, but advise you to get the Delos. Im sure you will like it, love it, keep it. I spent a couple of hours with the 6 and 10 last month, I was very impressed.
I havent heard any complaints about the Delos views.

#8 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:10 AM

How do you think it would work as a planetary EP for the TV101 refractor?

I use the 3.5mm for planetary viewing in my NP-101, to my eye it's a very good choice. Clean and sharp across the field of view. One of these days I will pick up the 2.5 but instead I just use a 1.5X barlow.

Jon

#9 Deep13

Deep13

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:18 AM

thanks. My scope is the TV101 that was in production before the NP101. I usually use it on a alt-az Gibraltar mount which is weight sensitive and undriven. That's why I was thinking of the Type6 rather than Delos or XW.

#10 tomcody

tomcody

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Titusville, Florida

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:53 PM

Consider a 3-6mm Nagler zoom, I find the quality of the views to be very good and it is very handy to be able to adjust the power with changing seeing conditions.
Rex

#11 dscarpa

dscarpa

Gemini

• Loc: San Diego Ca.

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:10 PM

I would give the edge to my LVW, Delos and XWs image quality wise over my T-6s for lunar-planetary. It's due to better clarity and a cooler tone that makes for a whiter Moon which I prefer. To me the LVW, XWs and Delos look a bit sharper with a tad better contrast and scatter control but the difference isn't much. I had issues gunking up my T6s when I first got them-I was used to Radians but after a while it wasn't that much of an issue. Never the less a couple of years ago I put 2" TV eyecups on them. It makes for a more comfortable, immersive, less prone to dewing or getting gunked up eyepiece as well as blocking outside light. What I got for the T6s is the TV Dioptrix (sp?) adapter but don't use a Dioptrix. It cost about $25 per eyepiece and about the only negative is the 2" caps don't stay on as well as the stock ones. The T6s are very good for lunar-planetary in my WO ZS-110. I have 7, 9 and 11 T6s that are used with TV barlows-Powermates for lunar-planetary in the ZS and unbarlowed for it with my cats. David

#12 SteveG

SteveG

Skylab

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:37 PM

I still love my T6's, but at that focal length you cannot beat a Pentax XW 3.5 (or the Delos is probably as good).
I bought one last year and have never looked back.

#13 dpwoos

dpwoos

Apollo

• Loc: United States

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:46 PM

I do a lot of public observing, and so have been in the market for a good high-power eyepiece with good eye relief, and with as wide a field as possible (un-driven 10" f/6 dob). I have now spent 3 nights with a 13mm Type 6 Nagler and a 2X TV barlow (NEAF), and I think that I have found a great solution, and better than my TMB Planetary 6mm which was my regular high-power option. I have also messed around with pulling the eyepiece as far out of the barlow as possible to get a bit more power, and am waiting on the arrival of a new 3X TV barlow that, in combination with the 2X barlow, will give also provide 2.5X (top of 3X with bottom of 2X barlow). The eye relief is very comfortable, but I haven't measured it yet. So, maybe you want to try a good barlow and an eyepiece that you already own?

#14 PeterWar

PeterWar

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:04 PM

When barlowed with a 2x barlow I have no eye relief issues with my 3.5mm, but of course that would give too much magnification to be usefull.

I'm leaning towards the 3.5mm delos as Pentax eyepieces are hard to get in my region and the televue dealer is close to my office.

But maybe the 15mm eyerelief of the 110º Ethos would be enough for me, and I know they have that eyepiece in stock.

What do you guys think?

#15 FirstSight

FirstSight

Duke of Deneb

• Moderators
  • Loc: Raleigh, NC

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:16 PM

Consider a 3-6mm Nagler zoom, I find the quality of the views to be very good and it is very handy to be able to adjust the power with changing seeing conditions.
Rex

The huge problem with the Nagler zoom is that it is a 50-degree AFOV eyepiece, and gives soda-straw views compared to the expansiveness of the 3.5 or 5mm 82 deg AFOV Nagler, which wider view also keeps the object in the FOV longer in an undriven scope. I've tried a Nagler zoom, and found it insufferably claustrophobic for my tastes, and I'm otherwise an ardent Televue eyepiece and scope fan.

The thing to take away from this is that while some people love the flexibility of zoom eyepieces, and the Nagler 3-6mm zoom in particular for planets, others such as myself strongly dislike them. I find the overhead of swapping out fixed-focal length eyepieces to be but a trivially minor inconvenience; using a Powermate with a fixed-focal length eyepiece to add flexibility only adding a tolerably greater bit of overhead; others are not so fond of this process, which often more favorably inclines them toward a zoom, especially if they're not ardent widefield addicts.

#16 dscarpa

dscarpa

Gemini

• Loc: San Diego Ca.

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:34 PM

I pull my eyepieces part way out of the barlows for an 20X more and the Powermates for 10X extra. The T6s have nice long barrels, are light, barlowing does not degrade the image and the extra ER isn't an issue for ease of use. David

#17 Deep13

Deep13

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:29 PM

Rex

Probably a good choice for a driven scope which I assume the OP's is (8" f/5? Probably). Still, when I put the TV101 on an EQ mount, I use either the ZAO-IIs which go down to 4mm or else TV Ploessls with a 3x TV Barlow. Of course, if I am going through the trouble of setting up an EQ mount, I usually use the 5" f/12 scope.

#18 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:09 PM

Try before you buy_a 3.5 Delos. I am switching to the Delos line for high power work. These eyepieces are sharp, and have lot of eye relief (20mm).

#19 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:04 AM

thanks. My scope is the TV101 that was in production before the NP101. I usually use it on a alt-az Gibraltar mount which is weight sensitive and undriven. That's why I was thinking of the Type6 rather than Delos or XW.

I use the NP-101 on undriven, alt-az mounts (Portamount, SV MG2) but they do have slow-motion controls... and they are setup to handle the heaviest eyepieces (20mm type 2) without having balance issues...

Jon

#20 PeterWar

PeterWar

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:06 PM

Don't have a driven mount, hence the need of reasonable big AFOV.

I'm surprised that no one is recommending the 3.7 ethos, am I missing something?

#21 Fred1

Fred1

Vanguard

• Loc: Somewhere in the Orion Spur

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:55 PM

I have the 3.7 Ethos. It's a wonderful EP, but if you're already experiencing noticeable coma with the 3.5NT6 at 82°AFOV then with the 110°AFOV of the 3.7E coma will be more evident, plus you'll get only 3mm more eye relief. I agree with others and suggest the 3.5mm Delos. Its 72°AFOV will have less noticeable coma and its 20mm eye relief with fully adjustable and lockable eye guard, I believe, would be an excellent choice for you and your f5. The coatings on the Delos line are similar to the Ethos (maybe better) and provide better contrast than the NT6 line, too. You'll have to "bump" your scope more with the Delos as opposed to the Ethos but I think the price difference is worth the extra effort in addition to the added comfort you'll have when observing.
Or get a Paracorr and the 3.7E while the TV sale is on, if you really need the extra TFOV and take a chance on only 3mm additional eye relief.

#22 PeterWar

PeterWar

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:43 PM

Would a 3.7 ethos with a Teleskop-Service coma corrector work?

http://www.teleskop-...S-Optics-2--...

I can get one second hand for cheap.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics