Jupiter with the 10" Meade Starfinder - Nov 18

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 MvZ

MvZ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:28 PM

Imaged with the ASI120MM CMOS camera. It is just a single (but good) RGB out of a whole bunch, so I'm definately not done processing yet.

I'm testing out the ASI120MM camera, and so far I like it. I did find what looks like some scattered light problems, showing a slight gradient in the images, but I'm sure that can be easily fixed and is probably not a camera issue. Other than that I really like the camera, most importantly because there are no artifacts as the Basler Ace had (and you sometimes still see in Flea3 images as well). I can stretch the **** out of my blue images, and they still look ok.

The camera also performs quite nicely on deepsky targets: http://www.cloudynig...5529420/page... , and appears to be very sensitive. I have done some comparison recordings (also together with Bart Declercq) with the Basler Ace aca640, but I find it difficult to say anything meaningful about that - and to be honest I haven't really thought about the best way to compare the images. The ASI120MM has much smaller pixels, and with my own telescope there was no way to get a comparable image scale. Also the transparancy was a bit variable, making the image sometimes appear 50% more bright or dim than 5 minutes ago.

I do have the impression that the signal/noise ratio seems very good, pretty much on par with the icx618 basler ace. But the highest QE is shifted a bit towards green light.

Anyways, it is a very fun camera to play around with, and I think this just became my primary planetary camera for anything but Venus (because the Basler Ace can do 200FPS when I crop, and the ASI120MM is a bit slower).

All channels were imaged at 1/50s and 50fps, recorded at 640x480 (center crop from the 1280x960 full resolution)

Cheers,

Emil

Attached Files

#2 MvZ

MvZ

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:31 PM

I also made a huge animation of Jupiter in blue light (!). The seeing was rather good. I hope to make some more animations in the following days.

Be careful, the animation is over 4 MB in size. It consists of 27 stacks taken in little under 2.5 hours time:

http://www.astrokraa...tie_blauwst.gif

#3 ToxMan

ToxMan

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona, USA

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:39 PM

I like the results, Emil. Where can someone purchase one of these? Their web-site didn't have info to purchase or pricing. Can one camera do it all?

#4 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:04 PM

.....as I said in my email Emil "Beautiful Jupiter!"

I just wish I had the elevation and seeing to do justice to the planet in the trials I've done so far.....but with my new fitting I live in hope for when I return to the Northern Territory next week..! :grin: :bow: :bow: :bow:

But as your image (and Glenn's etc with the Flea3 also among others) demonstrates, a nice night with Jupiter high in the sky is well nigh unbeatable! :waytogo:

And the core image of the "Trap" in M42 is also imprsssive - enough to make me want to shoot that also in the near future with the ASI120MM.....

Paul - Sam has indicated to me a very competive price for those wishing to purchase this camera we're testing atm.....something like 1/2 the price of the TIS cameras with the 618 chip - so I think that makes it a real "player" in the imaging stakes!!!

Emailing Sam at his web address should answer any queries you or others have..... :)

#5 ToxMan

ToxMan

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona, USA

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:16 PM

Paul - Sam has indicated to me a very competive price for those wishing to purchase this camera we're testing atm.....something like 1/2 the price of the TIS cameras with the 618 chip - so I think that makes it a real "player" in the imaging stakes!!!

Thanks, Darryl. I think you are right...and I happen to be looking for new camera.

#6 Mitchell Duke

Mitchell Duke

Gemini

• Loc: Georgia

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:26 PM

Very crisp shot

#7 Rankinstudio

Rankinstudio

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Southern UT

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:37 PM

That is amazing.

#8 Kecktastic

Kecktastic

Skylab

• Loc: Broken Hill NSW Australia

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:41 PM

A beautiful image in its own right Emil, regardless of what camera was used, certainly the best I have seen from a CMOS camera.

Regards
Trevor

#9 DesertRat

DesertRat

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Valley of the Sun

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:17 PM

The era of cmos is coming sooner than we thought! Very nice Emil!

Glenn

#10 cheapersleeper

cheapersleeper

Gemini

• Loc: Sachse TX

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:30 AM

That is great! I have a 10" Meade Starfinder......OTA. Wish I had that clunky old mount.

Regards,
Brad

#11 MvZ

MvZ

Surveyor 1

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:00 AM

Thanks.

I will make a slightly better RGB version, one where I combined data using winjupos. This was just a single sequence.

Brad, I would rather use a a more modern mount to be honest. 50-60 arcseconds periodic error is not nice, I can't leave the computer capturing for one minute, as it will have appeared that Jupiter moved significantly either west or east in the meantime.

#12 cheapersleeper

cheapersleeper

Gemini

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:10 AM

I realized that mount is not great but I have seen many nice exaples of planetary imaging done with that setup. I don't recall the site but someone with lovely images was talking about the large periodic error. Is the error great enough to move Jupiter off the chip in a short time?

B

#13 MvZ

MvZ

Surveyor 1

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:20 AM

Yes, it is :) Luckily I have the Magellan II controller, and always right next to my laptop, so I continuously steer Jupiter back in the FOV.

#14 cheapersleeper

cheapersleeper

Gemini

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:05 AM

Yes, it is :) Luckily I have the Magellan II controller, and always right next to my laptop, so I continuously steer Jupiter back in the FOV.

Wow. I had no idea. My eq platform that I built (Mark 1), let me do five one minute captures in a row sometimes at 3000mm fl. I started trying to debug and improve it, and it stopped working. :lol: Going to start on Mark 2 platform this week. I am fairly confident that I can get it to track well enough to be able to go up to 3500mm fl. Fingers are crossed.

B

#15 sfugardi

sfugardi

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: CT

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:27 AM

Emil, awesome image! I love the incoming angle view of the red spots. Excellent work and thanks for posting

Regards,
Steve

#16 MvZ

MvZ

Surveyor 1

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:34 AM

I was imaging at 6.5 meters, or something like that.

But that means absolutely nothing if you don't know the pixel size of the camera. I'm always confused when people talk about focal lengths as if that alone means anything. It does not. 3 meters with 7.5 um pixels is exactly the same as 1.5 meters with 3.75 um pixels. You hear this focal length talk a lot in deepsky forums, and that is fine if everyone is using the exact same pixel sized cameras, but that is usually not the case.

Ok, enough of the small rant on FL, didn't mean to offend you, I just felt like saying this ;)

The 6.6 meters corresponds to about 10 meters for a 'typical' 5.6 um planetary camera (Flea 3, DMK21, etc).

I'm very much interested in how you make your eq platforms (and how expensive it would be to make one). Do you plan to implement corrective steering on both axis? Or just one, or none and will it simply track at one speed without the possibility to correct the speed a little bit?

#17 HANTO

HANTO

Apollo

• Loc: Unterallgäu, Bavaria, Germany

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:17 PM

Lovely image, Emil! I´m curious about the WinJupos colour version!

Regards
Torsten

#18 Jason H.

Jason H.

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Central Florida

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:45 PM

Very nice! I have a garage full of much older Meades (including a 10"), I wish they performed nearly as nicely! Seems those newer scopes are optically vastly improved?

Jason W. Higley

#19 StuW

StuW

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:15 AM

Stunning shots Emil. I have just had first light in terrible conditions on my ASI120MC and I'm also extremely happy with the results (although nowhere near as good as yours!).

I was going to ask Sam if there was a Yahoo group / Mailing list for users of his camera's, but maybe you know of one?

#20 Bill Friend

Bill Friend

Vostok 1

• Loc: Maine

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:43 AM

Amazing shots Emil!!

#21 MvZ

MvZ

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:00 AM

Me too Torsten, it will have to wait a bit though, but the recordings should not run away (I just got 6 TB of extra hard disk space to store my recordings, so I didn't have to delete any previous recordings ;) )

Jason, from what I know there is a lot of variability with these meade starfinde scopes. I bought mine second hand in 2007, but I believe it was made in the late 90's. I guess I got lucky with this one, as the optics are pretty good indeed.

I don't know about a yahoo group or mailing list, might be best to ask Sam about that.

#22 Hillbrad

Hillbrad

Viking 1

• Loc: Nashville, Tennessee

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:48 AM

Great shot Emil!! Glad to see the ol' 10" getting some use again! You sure know how to make that scope perform well.

#23 Space Cowboy

Space Cowboy

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Cheshire, UK

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:17 AM

Super images! This cam certainly looks the business!

#24 wenjha

wenjha

Vendor

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: SuZhou China

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:24 AM

Nice shoot!
can't wait to see the final image

#25 MvZ

MvZ

Surveyor 1

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:25 AM

Here is a final image. Spent a lot of time processing this, it does show some more details, especially near the poles, but it also a little bit 'fatter' than the previous image.

Notice the small cyclonic dark spot division next to oval BA.

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics