Burn Out

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:07 PM

Well, don't want to overstay my welcome, so one more. Tried a new technique described in another thread. It allowed much more time to observe Jupiter, but it takes longer to sketch. That's good and bad. The more time the sketch takes, the more time for observing. And if you're not chasing Jupiter, you can really observe.

Okay, start in the south this time. Those white ovals in the STZ are so very difficult. Maybe even impossible in a 6". But, last night there just seemed to be a little something there. Whatever it was seems a little far south to be ovals, but something tickled the retina in that vicinity. So, they got thrown on the sketch with the caveat of "maybe" having seen them.

Okay, for the first time, really, I got to actually see a little color in BA. Some of you report it often, to me it was just grey. Not last night. It was really kind of a peach or light orange-ish. The GRS, too, just the slightest hint of some tone other than grey. That was exciting. That darker trailing oval was less distinct, only saw it a handful of times. There is a faint belt preceding BA, too.

Oh, the wake was quite nice. Okay, I realize I have been missing some accuracy sketching the wake as it passes over the GRS. It's not diving down onto the GRS, at least not anymore. It's actually stretching across the GRS almost connecting both sides of the wake. The "string of pearls" effect was not as evident, but there certainly was a lot going on in the trailing wake. Pretty hard to sketch.

In the SEB, the festoons seem pretty indistinct. That are definitely blue, but kind of all crunched up against the NEB. Just laying there, no real prominent streaks jetting into the EZ (even though I over did one just a bit.) There are some darker patches of albedo between the festoons and the EQ belt, and of course a few very white spots and white streaks.

Now, the NEB was devoid of it's brighter rifts, and it's almost plain. Almost. If you look closely, there are definitely some softer, light albedo in the north, and corresponding a bit darker albedo in the south. This gives the NEB a very broad, molted look.

The NTB seemed to lack it' "eyeliner." But, there are some darker sections across it's northern edge. Even a tiny bit of abledo variance near the east.

Anyway, this session took over an hour and a half ending at 1630UT. Sys I 298, Sys II 301. What else? Oh, seeing about 8 to 9/10, trans mag 5. This was sketched at 175x with UO 18mm HD Ortho and Celestron 2x shorty working at 1.6x.

Attached Files

#2 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:40 PM

During the pre-sketch warm up session, forgot to mention, Io was embedded against the darker SEB regions. I have rarely seen one of jupiter's moons so far from the limb. The shadow was near where the moon becomes visible. So, that was quite striking. And I watched it until it became a magical...a magical, well something special on the limb. Words escape me. Also, the faint belt in the NTempB showed a bit of a spiky appearance, barely seen in the sketch above. A nice warm up for GRS transit.

#3 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:42 PM

Norme,

This is amazing, with the color, festooning, GRS and substructure, BA, disruptions in the belts and white ovals what's left. Your getting all the scope can reach under your conditions. Excellent work.

Frank :)

#4 Andrev

Andrev

Skylab

• Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:24 PM

Norme.

Fantastic work my friend. I can imagine you at the eyepiece trying to look at the smallest details visible. You seeing is so good, you're luck.

Congrats, very very nice work.

Andre.

#5 stray1

stray1

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:08 AM

Hi Norme,

I'm inspired by the way you depict the effect of the GRS on the various belts. I am definitely going to be looking for this on my next outing!

I hope you're not so burnt that you're thinking of not posting any more of these...

:confused:

-stray-

#6 JimPie

JimPie

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: S.E.Michigan

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:40 AM

Norme,
Amazing detail! I really like the way you sketched the turbulence or wake behind the GRS .

#7 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:57 AM

The ferel cats out back have names, they are warming up to me. The mosquitoes are well fed.

But, it's been a season of "firsts" observing Jupiter. First time seeing oval BA, brilliant blue festoons, the tawny hue of Jupiter, grey hues, and white streaks all over the place. Each first improved the level of detail seen, especially noting Jupiter's tawny hue. Seeing that just allowed so much to pop out. Maybe there will be a few more "firsts" to come.

Thank you all, it's been a real pleasure following Jove. Sometimes I feel it's a bit much, posting almost nightly. Dry season is upon us and it's only 4 months. So, making the most of it, will be traveling before it's over.

You know, the seeing here is weird. Outside the stars appear to twinkle to the eye. Put a 6" aperture on them and they are nearly rock steady, sometimes dead calm. On some nights, they are calm to the eye, but the seeing is not so good - like last week when a tropical disturbance was south of us. Weird.

There is plenty of atmospheric dispersion. So, it looks like maybe some low frequency waves moving overhead at just the right tilt and size to accommodate aperture of 6", give or take. It just seems the 6" is in that sweet zone. When Jupiter's image spends much of it's time near 8 or better, those features can be seen readily. When you focus down on Jupiter, you can tell if it's going to be good or bad by the way the out of focus image wavers - or not.

It's not like the atmosphere does not exist, it does and it is sometimes blurry. But it seems tuned for a 6". That has made all the remarkable difference.

But, thanks to following others in this section, Frank, et al, on Mars earlier this year and Jupiter and Saturn before that, planetary sketching and observing has just been a pleasure. Thank you all for sharing it.

Last night was just one of the most intense sessions, yet. It took a lot out of me. I think the sketch shows just about everything there is to see in a 6", more than I would have ever imagined possible.

#8 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Gemini

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:08 PM

Norme,

Nice sketch of Jupiter :).

CS,KLU,

:thanx:,

Tom

#9 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:12 AM

Ahhh see - you got those white spots that eluded me. Other years I've seen them even regularly but now its difficult or in 6/10 seeing impossible. The details you have in the wake of the grs are super well delineated by you . When I saw the GRE with the 8 it wasnt as far along to the cm plus the moon transit thing was sitting on top.

OK gonna finish my sketch!

Great work Norme.. truly.

Pete

#10 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:56 AM

Thanks, Pete. Not sure I really got the white spots, just something tickled the retina down there. Thought it might be white spots. I think not, now, still trying to see what's going on down under on Jove. Tough area to observe.

But, I have to revise my sketch based on something new I noticed tonight. Some grey in the STrZ and more white south of Oval BA toward the trailing limb. It's not really cheating, I guess, just don't feel like redoing the sketch. But, seeing this is another in a long string of observational firsts. Plus, those ovals turn out to be a rather diffuse, very weak grey area. Still not sure what I'm seeing there. More like below.

Attached Files

#11 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:37 PM

Ill tell you Norme that string of pearls in the other rendering is my current Jovian Grail thing. What a compelling detail that just begs for the higher mags to really set it off. Last note the 303x. Wasn't just great for the. Microspot near BA but the sweep of the festoons too. You could see they were festoons even at 173x but that 6mm Abbe really helped.

I like the varying way you represented the whitespots in two different drawings.

#12 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:55 PM

Pete, tried observing at 40x per inch tonight, kind weight lifting for the eye. All the detail was there, but is was a bit soft. 190x was actually best in terms of scale and contrast.

How I envy the views at 240 or 300 in an 8". I can only imagine.

#13 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:46 PM

Hi Norme,

The 303x was good for specializing in seeking out a couple details that were super tiny or just super low contrast like the festoons structuring. The overall sharp best was 200- 240x. That works out to 25-30x prr inch. Wildly my Mars filter worked great. The belts pop with red in the belts but I sketch ed the integrated light colors.

Pete

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics