Pulled the Trigger on a 6SE

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 jturie

jturie

Vostok 1

• Loc: Valley Forge, PA

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:56 PM

Figured that my first post might as well be a biggie. After spending the last 35 years as an armchair/binocular astronomer, I finally made the big leap (read: got my wife's OK) and bought a NexStar 6SE!! Now I have to convince her to let me open it before Christmas, as she has decided that it's one of my presents.

This is my first telescope since the Criterion 6 Dynascope (I think that was its name)-- you know the EQ reflector on the metal pier-- that I bought when I was 13. I used it through college, when life took over and I was forced to join the working world. A few years later I found out that my mom sold the scope in a yard sale.

Ive spent the last couple of weeks lurking around here reading reviews, posts etc. and getting my head around the various options. Thinking that the 6SE was the best combo of portability, price and quality. Going to 4 figures with the 8SE probably would not have gone over well. Anyway, I want to thank all of you for sharing your knowledge on the forum, even though you didn't know you were helping me.

So, at the tender age of 57, with kids raised, grown and moved out, I now have rejoined my first hobby...guessing it will go well with my other hobby: homebrewing beer!

BTW I live in Valley Forge PA in case anyone nearby sees this and wants to help me learn how to use this puppy.

#2 hopskipson

hopskipson

Apollo

• Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollution Headquarters!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:40 PM

Hi Jack! (couln't resist)

Welcome :bow: to the forum glad to see another SE user and homebrewer to boot. I used to do some brewing before my 4 bundles of joy arrived. Good luck with the new scope!

James

#3 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:40 PM

Hi Jack and welcome to our little corner of Cloudy Nights!

You'll LOVE that 6SE - congrats on the purchase! Be sure and let us know how your first light goes.

-Dan

#4 Peter9

Peter9

Aurora

• Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:07 AM

Hello Jack and welcome to the Nexstar forum.

The 6se is a great scope which will give you hours of pleasure. Enjoy.

Regards. Peter.

#5 BigC

BigC

Gemini

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:33 AM

Hi Jack,

Congrats on the new 6SE.It is a fine scope.

The 6SE will show you the same objects the Criterion did plus find them for you!

Too bad about your Dynascope;your story of parents disposing of college student's "old things" is common.

#6 jturie

jturie

Vostok 1

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:31 PM

Thanks for the welcome.

Now on to the little purchases. Since I initially will be using this in my backyard on my concrete pool deck, I ordered the AC adapter...eventually I'll get the external power pack. Right now I'm just going to get the Celestron zoom, which should give me an idea of how the scope performs at various powers under my seeing conditions, which are fair at best. Later I'll start getting some quality eyepieces. Finally, thanks to tons of suggestions in the threads, I'm ordering a dew shield.

Right now, AP is not a priority, and will always be a "dabble" for me. I have a Nikon D3100, so I'll make do with it once I get the adapters. I'm interested in observing for now and re-learning my way around the sky.

Any other initial equipment suggestions???

#7 jalesi

jalesi

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: asheville, nc

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:42 PM

I recently purchased the 6SE and I've had it out every night this week but one to look at Jupiter and the moon for the most part.
I hope the novelty doesn't wear off, but every time I see a planet, I'm awe struck. It's emotional to me and reminds me of just how insignificant we are and how big everything really is.
Anyway, a long story to say, I really do like the 6SE. I am not very impressed with the red dot finder that comes with it. I liked it the first use, but on subsequent uses, it works sporadically at best. I don't have any suggestions for upgrades as I'm still researching that.

Enjoy the scope!

#8 Peter9

Peter9

Aurora

• Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:18 AM

Hi jalesi,

Pleased you are enjoying your new scope. Viewing the planets has the same effect on me and I've been doing so for years. So hopefully, the novelty will stay.

Re the RDF, lots of us have upgraded to a 9X50 RACI (Right Angled Correct Image) finder scope, which can double up as a small low powered scope for viewing open clusters etc. The Pleiades being a good example. Many of us couple the finder with a green laser pointer.

Here's my set up.

Regards. Peter.

Attached Files

#9 phillip

phillip

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sterling, Illinois

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:52 AM

Enjoying mine as well, caught an early view of Saturn just below Venus moments ago.

Agree on the finder, likely change to one mentioned.

Anxious on mine to catch a Jupiter Shadow transit, never tire catching them. enjoy, as I am.

ETX90
SE6 New Purchase
XT8 Dob
Prized 8MM Clave Eyepiece And 4.5 Nagler Rare Steady Sky's

#10 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:57 AM

Any other initial equipment suggestions???

A good observing chair is worth it's weight in gold. You will see much more if you're comfortable and able to stay at the eyepiece longer. Here's the one I use:
http://www.bhphotovi...sing_Stool_2...

It is lightweight, inexpensive, adjusts at the touch of a lever, and has 10" of adjustment height. Normal office chairs and stools only have 3-4 inches of adjustment which is not enough for the change in eyepiece height as the scope moves from zenith to horizon.

As for finders, the RDF works fine, but is uncomfortable for most users and is therefore usually replaced pretty quickly. A GLP (green laser pointer) is a good choice because you can use it while standing up and looking at the sky - you don't have to sight through it. But if you're near an airport you want to avoid GLPs, and some star parties ban them. In that case, a RACI (right angle correct image) finder is a good option. I'd recommend something like this for the 6SE:
http://tinyurl.com/762zofq

I actually have both a GLP and a RACI on my scope and love the combination. The GLP gets me in the ballpark quickly, and the RACI zeroes me into the target. In many cases, the GLP is all I need, but if I'm in a location where I can't use it, the RACI serves as backup. Here's my setup:
Posted Image

-Dan

#11 BigC

BigC

Gemini

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:15 PM

Monitoring air traffic last night ,some fool was apparently pointing his GLP at a plane landing at CVG.At least the pilot thought the aircraft was being targeted by the GLP.

If one has a GLP then never point it near an aircraft;better yet be certain the GLP is off if you can see any aircraft or hear one.

I like the bulls-eye finders paired with an 8 or 9 x 50
RACI.

#12 jturie

jturie

Vostok 1

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:31 PM

Dan, I like that setup. Given that I'm a fairly old fart with a balky back, a good chair and the RACI look like priorities. I've never used an RDF, but always thought that it involves some contortionism....

#13 Skip

Skip

Starlifter Driver

• Loc: Fort Worth, Texas, USA

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:43 PM

Hi jturie,

Welcome to our little corner of astro heaven! I absolutely love my 6SE. Had it for what, 6 years now and wouldn't be without it! Good recs from the guys here. Don't fret about photography for now. Like you said, learn the scope and the sky and get you feet really, really wet, then you can start thinking about the black money hole of AP. Actually, to start, just hold that camera you have up to the EP while locked on the moon. That is called afocal astrophotography, and for the moon at least, can get you some fun pics.

Have a blast and again, welcome!

#14 jturie

jturie

Vostok 1

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:12 PM

Fedex just delivered it today!!!! Set it up in all of 15 minutes just to check that all was well. I am impressed by the quality of construction. Unfortunately, the wife made me pack it back up for Christmas....first light report will have to wait a bit.

#15 Skip

Skip

Starlifter Driver

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:20 PM

Hey jturie,

Before you put it back in the boxes, take your wife out tonight and let her look through it at ... well, just about anything! She might not want you to put it back in the box. :grin:

#16 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:47 PM

Fedex just delivered it today!!!! Set it up in all of 15 minutes just to check that all was well. I am impressed by the quality of construction. Unfortunately, the wife made me pack it back up for Christmas....first light report will have to wait a bit.

Wow! THAT has to be frustrating! :ohgeeze:

#17 Arthur Dent

Arthur Dent

Galactic Hitch-Hiker

• Loc: South Yorkshire, UK

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:19 PM

Hi jturie,

First a belated welcome to the forum from across the pond.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Just a few weeks to wait until you get to Christmas and you can get that 6SE out for real. You do realise that with any new scope you get a complimentary two-weeks of 100% cloud cover?

Enjoy your scope when you can. Make sure that you let your wife observe the Moon when at first or last quarter (when the terminator shows the relief to good effect) and, if you can get up before dawn, ensure that she sees Saturn and she'll throw money at you!

Art

#18 jturie

jturie

Vostok 1

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:48 PM

LOL Art...in Pennsylvania during December the cloud cover comes at no extra charge. Naturally, it's crystal clear out tonight.

Think she'll get wise if I sneak it out after she goes to bed tonight?

#19 jalesi

jalesi

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: asheville, nc

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:08 PM

The other thing that I love about mine is the portability. One piece, and 2 or 3 trips. One with the scope, one with the power pack and EP boxes and one with my chair. I just now need to check the balance on it, but it is so easy to carry.

#20 BigC

BigC

Gemini

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:38 PM

I think the Orion Nebula and the bands on Jupiter are also ggod "impressive" targets.If you can catch a moon and its shadow transiting Jupiter even better!Pleiades are another wow! to most people.

Viewing single ponts of light just isn't going to grab a high % of non-stargazers.

#21 hopskipson

hopskipson

Apollo

• Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollution Headquarters!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:23 PM

You've got to be kidding!!! That might be grounds for divorce :question: :lol: Good luck with the scope and welcome to the forum.

James

#22 Skip

Skip

Starlifter Driver

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:02 PM

C'mon Jack. Take her out with you. She'll be very impressed looking at Jupiter or the moon. Of course moon is best as a crescent. Or, swing up from the moon and take a look at the Double Cluster. She will be hooked!

#23 jturie

jturie

Vostok 1

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:15 PM

Looks like the next several nights are going to be cloudy anyway...besides, I told her that I have that much more time to buy accessories...let's see, couple of eyepieces, Barlow, Dew shield...decent chair...

#24 Arthur Dent

Arthur Dent

Galactic Hitch-Hiker

• Loc: South Yorkshire, UK

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:22 AM

Or try double stars like Alberio (Beta Cygni, RA: 19 30.7 Dec: +27 58) - never ceases to impress me.

Here's a link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/7321165@N03/2662168578

The gold and the blue next to each other always cheers me up.

Other double stars to consider:

Eta Cassiopeiae RA: 00 49.1 Dec: +57 49

Gamma Andromedae RA: 02 03.9 Dec: +42 20

Eta Persei RA: 02 50.7 Dec: +55 54

The Trapezium in Orion (Theta 1 Orionis) RA: 05 35.5 Dec: -05 23

Beta Monocerotis RA: 06 28.8 Dec: -07 02

Struve 147 RA: 06 34.3 Dec: +38 05

Alpha Geminorum RA: 07 34.6 Dec: +31 53

Iota Cancri RA: 08 46.7 Dec: +28 46

Gama Delphinus RA: 20 46.7 Dec: +16 07

Beta Cephei RA: 21 28.7 Dec: +70 34

or the 'Double Double' in Lyra - Epsilon Lyrae RA: 18 44.3 Dec: +39 40

Art

#25 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:21 PM

You've gotta great wife. Nice to know it'll be be sitting there.

Arthur Dent lists good doubles and this IS a very good doublescope. I've gotten terrific patterns (diffraction) under high-power and good seeing. Jupiter chock full details fitting for that scope too.

You have a great Xmas morning coming up.

Pete

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics