• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 jeditony65

jeditony65

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:54 AM

I thought I posted this but I cant find it, so I hope it doesnt show twice. Im thinking of getting a Celestron CPC Edge HD 11 inch or a Meade 12 inch. But I hear the Meade is made in Mexico now Hmmmmmm. Anyone with these scopes, I would like your opinions. Thanks, Tony :roflmao:

#2 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Aurora

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:21 AM

A couple of questions:

-- How are you going to mount it? You are just buying the OTA or a full setup?

-- Intended use -- visual, AP or both?

#3 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:21 AM

"Which should I buy, a Ford or a Chevy?"

Seriously, these telescopes are more alike than different. Optically, a slight nod goes to the Celestron, but the ACF is very pleasing too.

ONE THING: If you are buying more than just an OTA, I would be somewhat cautious about Meade. They seem to be having yet more trouble with a capital "T"...

#4 faltered

faltered

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:11 PM

Yeah, unless you want to wait around to see how this all plays out with Meade, I would go with the proven success of the 11 Edge HD. I can't say I have heard anyone say they did like that tube and its performance. Plus, with the easier availability of adding HyperStar, I would lean to the EdgeHD.

#5 gillmj24

gillmj24

Aurora

• Loc: PA

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:04 PM

But I hear the Meade is made in Mexico now Hmmmmmm.

It's not like the Edge is made in the USA either :(

#6 Jared

Jared

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Piedmont, California, U.S.

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:30 PM

I thought I posted this but I cant find it, so I hope it doesnt show twice. Im thinking of getting a Celestron CPC Edge HD 11 inch or a Meade 12 inch. But I hear the Meade is made in Mexico now Hmmmmmm. Anyone with these scopes, I would like your opinions. Thanks, Tony :roflmao:

Right now, I'd choose the Celestron due to Meade's current financial troubles. I wouldn't worry about where either scope is made, and they are both good OTA designs with surprisingly (at least to me) consistent optical quality, but I just don't have the confidence at Meade is going to be around in a year or two if you need warranty work or any repairs. Their last 10Q showed them as having less than $700 thousand in cash on hand and a burn rate of roughly $1.8 million per quarter. Even accounting for their seasonal cash flow, that's not good.

Celestron is privately held, so it's not possible to view their financials, but because they are owned by a larger company--Synta--and because they are not undergoing the same struggles with new products that Meade is, I am assuming they are in better financial shape.

I hope Meade recovers from their current problems. They have some nifty new products announced including the LX800 and 600 lines. I'm just not confident that they will be around long enough to get these products to market. I'd go with the Celestron Edge scope.

#7 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:14 PM

Celestron has also just published a detailed white paper on the Edge HD scopes and reducers that I think is a good sign of their confidence in and commitment to the design. Such a publication is fairly rare among these manufacturers.

#8 orion61

orion61

Aurora

• Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:30 PM

"Which should I buy, a Ford or a Chevy?"

Seriously, these telescopes are more alike than different. Optically, a slight nod goes to the Celestron, but the ACF is very pleasing too.

ONE THING: If you are buying more than just an OTA, I would be somewhat cautious about Meade. They seem to be having yet more trouble with a capital "T"...

My Meade 12" is actually better than the 2 C11's I have had
Both are more consistant now optically than ever before.
The 12" is visually brighter but heavier.
If you are going to use it fork mounted I'd ge Meade, if you are mounting GEM go Celestron.
Just make sure you have good insurance for back!
I love my 12" LX200, I can visually see surface detail
with my 12 I couldn't with my 11's. on Jupiters Moons.

#9 Odell

Odell

Explorer 1

• Loc: Florida

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:33 PM

One consideration I haven't read is perhaps choosing a second hand scope. If you could lean that way then the 12" Meade product may be your choice. There are several folks (not the least of whom is Dr. Clay) that know the LX scopes inside and out. That would alleviate to some degree any concern on warranty issues as you would be getting a scope at a significant discount and still have the ability to get it serviced if needed. The LX product line is very much alive and well online. But, as always, YMMV.

#10 Bob Griffiths

Bob Griffiths

Getting Grouchy

• Loc: Frederick Maryland

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:43 AM

I assume your are looking at dual fork mounted scopes...in 11 and 12 inch apertures...

The Meade 12inch Meade Lx90 is at least in my opinion way under mounted so I would narrow your choices between the 12 in Lx200 and the 11 inch CPC..

Meade is made in Mexico
Celestron is made in China

If you run into trouble you call India lol

Bob G.

#11 orion61

orion61

Aurora

• Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:32 AM

I called for support on a non astro issue got someone with a very heavy E. Indian accent, he said " Thanks for calling **______** my name is.. BOB" I about fell off my chair...
Right Goomptah! LOL

#12 thesubwaypusher

thesubwaypusher

Viking 1

• Loc: New York City

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:44 PM

I have both and love them both. I would call them about even. As Ed mentions, the Whitepaper Celestron put out is a very good thing.

Good luck, Chris

#13 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

• Loc: Inner Solar System

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:11 AM

Ginger or Mary Ann?

#14 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:20 AM

Seriously? Mary Ann!

-Rich

#15 Odell

Odell

Explorer 1

• Loc: Florida

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:57 AM

One other thing I forgot to mention. Earlier this year I had a problem with severe image shift while focusing that I caused by overzealous focusing. It was suggested I get a Moonlite to place on the SCT. I decided to send it to Meade (very reluctantly and with a great degree of trepidation). To my surprise and relief the scope came back fully repaired and image shift less then when I originally purchased it.

I also wanted to state I have no dog in this fight vis a vis Meade or Celestron. I happened to purchase a 10" LX, it could have easily been a C11. I just wanted to relate my experience with a Meade product. I would suggest however, that a brand name such as Meade would have some suitors were they to run aground financially.

And for me it's Ginger always has been always will be.....

(it's a character flaw) :)

#16 ur7x

ur7x

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:14 PM

Ginger or Mary Ann?

Both! Simultaneously :crazy: :o :smirk: :cool:

My guide scope is a 90mm Meade "toy" scope and a Meade planetary camera... works great with the Celestron mounts.

They got along great together at dinner... ;)

#17 LouHalikman

LouHalikman

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Central Maryland

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:54 PM

Celestron has also just published a detailed white paper on the Edge HD scopes and reducers that I think is a good sign of their confidence in and commitment to the design. Such a publication is fairly rare among these manufacturers.

Where can I find it? I didn't see it on Celestron's web site? Lou

#18 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:43 PM

Go to the Celestron website and go to one of the pages for an Edge HD OTA. Click on the "Support" tab down near the product description. The While paper is included in a list of "Reference Materials" on the right hand side. The following download link may also work: Edge HD White Paper.

#19 av8or

av8or

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Vista, CA

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:19 PM

I can tell you that I absolutely LOVE my C11HD!! It is my first cat and it never has ceased to amaze me, especially when weather conditions are favorable. I've never had much chance to look through or use any Meade cats above 8' of aperture. However, the 8" ACF scope I did frequently get to look through was fantastic. I'm sure the ethos eyepieces constantly used with the scope had somewhat of an effect on my impressions though. The only issue I have with my edge is a MINOR amount of image shift.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics