• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 wdretired

wdretired

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Iowa, USA

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:54 AM

I am a new member here so I hope I'm in the right place for information. I was at a "Tag Sale" and found an old telescope in a wooden box. All kinds of eyepieces and accessories so I decided to take a chance an buy it. I offered $25.00 for it and it was accepted. When I got home I found out it was a Tasco D76.2mm X f1200mm. I'm new to astronomy so I'm not sure if I got a good deal or not. The optics look good and except for a few scratches, everything looks good. It does not have an owners manual so can anyone help me find one online? I did learn that there were two models . . a 10T something and a 15T something. I'm not sure which one I have. One of the brackets seem to fit a camera but I'm not sure where to mount it near the eye piece. The wooden crate has some dings but the inside looks almost new. . . there are lots of things with it that I have no idea what they are. Help is definitely needed. Anyone that has any information would certainly be appreciated.

Attached Files

#2 terraclarke

terraclarke

Aurora

• Loc: The Bluegrass State

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:40 AM

This is indeed the right place and it would appear that you got a very good deal, an excellent deal in fact. You might be able to find the manual for your scope here: http://geogdata.csun...taire/classics/
Welcome,

#3 TahoeNoob

TahoeNoob

Mariner 2

• Loc: Sierra Nevada

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:25 PM

Congratulations! Clean it up and enjoy it. :)

#4 Mike E.

Mike E.

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Moonstone Observatory

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:30 PM

Welcome to the forum. Please post some photos when you can.

#5 CharlieB

CharlieB

Vanguard

• Loc: Southern NH

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:51 PM

Welcome and congratulations! You have a top shelf scope at a bargain basement price. If you need help on getting this scope going, you came to the right place. The 10TE and 15TE are pretty much the same scope, but the 15TE has a motor drive to counteract the rotation of the earth so what's in the eyepiece stays there.

#6 tim53

tim53

Cosmos

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:15 PM

Holy cow! What a way to get into classic scopes! Terrific price on a real performer!

Can't wait to see pics!

-Tim.

#7 wdretired

wdretired

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:47 PM

I've taken a couple of photos of it. I don't see any motor or connections so I'm assuming it's a 10TE???

Attached Files

#8 desertrefugee

desertrefugee

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:14 PM

Yeah. And for $25 bucks. One of the better deals reported here. They have been known to fetch $300 and up.

Ask me how I know...

#9 sgorton99

sgorton99

Gemini

• Loc: Wisconsin, Madison

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:17 PM

Very nice, looks to be in good shape!

#10 pogobbler

pogobbler

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central Indiana, USA

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:18 PM

C'mon now, we need a picture of the wooden box, too. :-)

#11 bob midiri

bob midiri

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: pa 19320

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:29 PM

Congrats on scoring just a fine classic as your first!! It will surprise you because the images will be extraordinary!! Royal Astro manufactured these scopes in Japan, to very high quality standards. I own its little brother the 7TE, which in its own right is a fantastic scope!!

Attached Files

#12 TahoeNoob

TahoeNoob

Mariner 2

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:47 PM

What a beautiful telescope. It's impossible for me to decide if I like the blue, grey, or white ones the best. For me, the wood tripod is the only way to go. They're so much prettier that way! :)

I read somewhere that all of the 76mm scopes are Royal Astro scopes. Knowing if that's true, or not, sure would make searching for one of these things easier. Is it?

#13 desertrefugee

desertrefugee

Surveyor 1

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:00 PM

Not all. SYW made 76mm f16s. There were a couple of others, but I don't recall who they were.

It is fair to say that MOST of the 76mm Japanese instruments will be of RA manufacture.

#14 CharlieB

CharlieB

Vanguard

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:20 PM

I've taken a couple of photos of it. I don't see any motor or connections so I'm assuming it's a 10TE???

Yup, a 10TE. Those mounts are tricky to get adjusted after a rebuild. If it's working OK, I'd leave it be. Of course, if you are like me, you simply can't resist the urge to tinker. I have three of exactly the same mount and I still don't have the knack of getting it perfectly adjusted. In any case, you will be pleased with the view from that scope. Here's a photo of this particular mount I bought with a motor drive before I cleaned it up.

Attached Files

#15 CharlieB

CharlieB

Vanguard

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:35 PM

I also noticed something odd about your mount. The RA cover plate has five screws and a locking lever. On every mount like yours I've seen the locking lever is in the bottom screw slot, not in the top. If you take the cover off by removing those screws and locking lever, you'll see a split ring that acts as a brake drum for the RA. There is a small brass cylinder that has a wedge-shaped tip that presses the split ring outward and this piece of brass gets depressed by rotating the locking lever. You can see it in this photo. Yours may be built with that device inverted, but I have never seen one like that. You might wish to check yours against this photo. As long as you have the locking lever pressing against the brass wedge, it probably doesn't matter if it's on the top or the bottom.

Attached Files

#16 Stargoat

Stargoat

Ranger 4

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:43 PM

I also noticed something odd about your mount. The RA cover plate has five screws and a locking lever. On every mount like yours I've seen the locking lever is in the bottom screw slot, not in the top. If you take the cover off by removing those screws and locking lever, you'll see a split ring that acts as a brake drum for the RA. There is a small brass cylinder that has a wedge-shaped tip that presses the split ring outward and this piece of brass gets depressed by rotating the locking lever. You can see it in this photo. Yours may be built with that device inverted, but I have never seen one like that. You might wish to check yours against this photo.

I believe that the mount just needs to be re-oriented so the polar axis is resting over the angled adjustment screw. That will place the locking lever on the bottom. I've seen other photos of mounts that look this way until they are set up correctely. Being that is is the first time he has set up one of these mounts, it is easy to do without having a manual for it.

Stephen

#17 CharlieB

CharlieB

Vanguard

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:50 PM

You are right that the RA needs to rest on the support, but the lever will still be in the wrong place. But as I mentioned, it will work where it is as long as the locking lever is working against the brass spreader. I am at work, but I think the casting is different (raised)for where the locking lever goes. The top screw which connects to the split ring has just a countersunk casting like the other screws. The lever should be closest to the counterweight shaft.

Attached Files

#18 albert1

albert1

Vanguard

• Loc: Southern New Jersey

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:02 PM

Very nice first Classic - congrats. You'll enjoy that one.

Hey guys, doesn't that one look like it may have the tube extension fully retracted? If so, you my friend, have even a rarer classic.

Attached Files

#19 albert1

albert1

Vanguard

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:06 PM

Here's a link to more pictures

#20 wdretired

wdretired

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:56 PM

I sure appreciate all the information that you guys have given me. I took the telescope out tonight and aimed it at the moon. It sure was bright but I had trouble getting it to focus. Is this a common problem or am I just showing my ignorance? Not knowing anything about telescopes I tried it straight and with a 90 degree elbow. I guess maybe I need to head to the beginners section here instead of jumping in with the big boys. Again thanks for all the information. Oh!, one other question. Are you suppose to use a filter on the lenses or is that built into the lenses itself?

#21 desertrefugee

desertrefugee

Surveyor 1

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:37 PM

Is your problem insufficient in-focus or out-focus? If out-focus, is there a drawtube? It will be secured by a thumbscrew just behind the focuser. The knobs control fine focus, the drawtube is for rough focus.

...unless as previously mentioned, yours is the more scarce non-drawtube type. If it is, the focuser should have very long travel. And if that's the case and it's still not coming into focus, I'm stumped.

#22 albert1

albert1

Vanguard

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:48 AM

It sure was bright but I had trouble getting it to focus.

All the more reason I think you may have the telescope as in the photo I posted. See if you can pull and/or twist the black focuser drawtube out like you see in my pic. It may be stuck in there from not being used for a while.

#23 Stargoat

Stargoat

Ranger 4

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:01 AM

Very nice first Classic - congrats. You'll enjoy that one.

Hey guys, doesn't that one look like it may have the tube extension fully retracted? If so, you my friend, have even a rarer classic.

Hello Albert, as I was going thru my data base of 75 or so Tasco 10/15TE scopes, that was the first thought that came thru to my mind as well. I do not see the thumb screw to tighten the slide out inner draw tube. Therefore I bet it must be the very early late 50's or very early 60-61. The 1962 Tasco catalog shows the 10TE with the later inner chrome sliding draw tube that everyone is familiar with. In fact the 62 catalog is still showing the larger more square wood box that your scope used. The catalog picture may have been from 61 or earlier for all I know in the 62 catalog.

So I'm betting that wdretired has the same box or "wooden crate" as he calls it.

Of interest with respect to serial numbers are that I will now have three (assuming wdretired's scope is the older pull out extension style) serial numbers that are 9704XX. I've attached a picture from my undated late 1950's thru 1961 at the latest catalog which advertises the introduction of the 10TE to the United States which matches these scopes. I can only assume that these must be the earliest 10TE models that were produced by Tasco. Could that mean that these scopes are from 1959 give or take a year, that is what I have come to believe.

Note that Tasco started using serial numbers 9705XX and up for the styrofoam insert boxed scopes that are the 10/15TE-5 models which I believe to be for the years 1969 and later.

Stephen

Attached Files

#24 wdretired

wdretired

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:06 AM

I sure appreciate your patience with a truly beginner. I will check to see if the "focuser" will move/pullout. I like the fact that I can unscrew one screw and take the whole telescope tube out without having to dismantle any of the long viewing tube. I'm also thinking I'll take some more photos because without a manual, I have no idea what any of the actual descriptions are. You guys have me really excited about this. I've never had anything "Classic" before. One more question. How can I clean the eye pieces. Are they suppose to come apart to clean? I noticed some dust on what seems like the inside of the eye piece. In the "Spare Parts", are a couple of small glass/metal rings that look like they belong to the inside of an eyepiece so I was thinking that someone was "Customizing" their own eye pieces. I'll try to take more pictures later. Thanks guys for all your help.

Attached Files

#25 TahoeNoob

TahoeNoob

Mariner 2

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:19 AM

Before you start taking things apart, ask questions. Lots of questions. (For example, there's a thread around here, somewhere, that explains how to completely overhaul your EQ mount.)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics