Huge NEB Wake

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:43 AM

There is so much going on around Jupiter's meridian Sys I 270, don't miss it.

Apparently the GRS was just over the preceding limb. At first glance, I was aghast of the varying tones in the SEB. Especially one very prominent bright streak that appears to be the tail end of the GRS wake. Both north and south edges were much lighter with brighter areas stretching along both borders. The center was a nice ruddy hue with variations in that, as well.

The EB is abuzz with festoons, white features, and an Eq belt. The NEB is sporting what looks like a barge.

There is even that rare splotch floating just below the polar darkening in the normally barren northern temperate zone.

But, the showcase feature is a huge rift in the NEB. It looks to rival the great wake following the red spot. I mean it is prominent, thick, bold, and bright. And it stretches nearly the length of the disc. It seems to originate near a prominent festoon, then trail off into the NEB. It resembles very much the GRS and it's wake in both size and sheer boldness.

#2 E_Look

E_Look

Soyuz

• Loc: near New York

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:57 AM

Wow. Now I'm hoping I can catch that in the coming nights!

What is the rift like, a ribbon of whiter gases splitting the brown/gray NEB?

#3 dscarpa

dscarpa

Gemini

• Loc: San Diego Ca.

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:51 PM

I've being viewing Jupiter with very good seeing lately and the amount of detail visable in my WO ZS-110, IM-715, and C-9.25 is a joy to behold! To me the SEB looks like ribbons intertwined in places. David

#4 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:45 PM

"What is the rift like, a ribbon of whiter gases splitting the brown/gray NEB?"

Absolutely. I've seen and sketched parts to the NEB and its rifts, but this part I don't think I've seen. I was stunned, actually, at how prominent it was. Wonder if any imagers captured it. Lemme check ALPO.

David, same here. A joy to behold. Just so much to see lately.

Edit: Here's one image at CM 277 showing the rift. If so, then I have seen this one. But this image is 3 days old. Either I am absolutely insane or that rift has grown beyond recognition. I hope the latter. :)

http://alpo-j.asahik...12/j121119z.htm

#5 Dean Norris

Dean Norris

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Santa Cruz, Ca

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:33 PM

Norme,

This sounds very cool. Looking forward to seeing this. The NEB revival this apparition is proving to be most interesting. It also is interesting that you saw a barge as well. I haven't seen any so far this apparition and was actually wondering if the absence of barges was part of a NEB revival in it's earlier stages.

In John H. Rodgers book, " The Giant Planet Jupiter", he writes, " Rifts in the NEB are white spots or streaks near the middle of the belt. They are often small and have varied, rapidly changing shapes, with detail at the limit of resolution". Later he states, " They clearly represent vigorous turbulence in the cyclonic region of the NEB." And later he adds," But longer rifts have in recent years been tracked for several months,gradually lengthening and continually producing new small white spots within their turbulent borders."

This book is very informative. Goes into great detail about the planet. I highly recommend it.

Thanks for the heads up. Dean

#6 dscarpa

dscarpa

Gemini

• Loc: San Diego Ca.

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:23 PM

Thanks for the tip! It's now on my to get list. David

#7 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:02 PM

Dean, not sure if it's a barge or not, but it is a darker concentration about the size of one.

Yea, I'd be interested to know whether I am totally insane or actually witnessed a significant change in that rift. If either of you report it, cool, but I might try to sketch it soon, too. (In fact, I did a sketch...unfinished.)

One can imagine to change rapidly on that scale they would be very active regions. But, that makes sense, Jupiter spins wildly and probably churns gas much like mother in law's cooking does.

#8 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:38 PM

Here's an image of that NEB dark concentration. And that blotch in the Northern Temp zone. Wow, kind of BA's northern counterpart.

It's not rotated enough to capture the NEB rift, that's just over the trailing limb.

http://www.cloudynig...5531300/page...

Here the rift at exactly the same longitude I observed it. It has changed, it looks broader and longer. It also shows the barge like feature, the long blotch in the north, and hints at the detail visible in the SEB, including that white streak jetting northward on the meridian.

http://www.cloudynig...5532804/page...

#9 E_Look

E_Look

Soyuz

• Loc: near New York

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:49 AM

Yes, from the photos in the link you posted, Norme, it seems that this rift is related to the whorls of the wake following the GRS we saw last year. From the photos, they look to me to be a similar phenomenon.

#10 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:51 AM

Ed, something else looks interesting in that second photo, now that you mentioned it. Look at the soft, blurry going on's in the STempZ. Wow.

Something tickled my retina down in that area the other night. Thought it might have been a white oval. Not here, but south at the GRS longitude. Hmmm...

#11 george golitzin

george golitzin

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:42 PM

Hey Norme--I was catching something of that rift last night in my 10-inch--it was quite striking. However, seeing was very soft, so I never quite got the view I was hoping for. Hopefully it'll be better tonight. I've got to say, Jupiter is putting on a fine show this apparition--so many variations in its appearance as the days go by!

-geo.

#12 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:53 PM

Geo, absolutely. Been observing Jupiter almost exclusively for that very reason. You're discussion with Dean about the NTrZ being yellow (or tawny to me) was correct. Recognizing that, allowed me to realize Jupiter itself is quite tawny. Recognizing that, in turn, led to seeing more white and a lot more features. Fascinating discovery.

#13 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:06 PM

Well, observed this rift tonight, sketch coming. It is nearly the width of the NEB.

Began observing at 1430UT. The rift encroached the trailing limb by about 1500UT. At 1630UT it had touched the meridian and was still coming.

#14 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:07 AM

Update:

http://alpo-j.asahik...12/j121127r.htm

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics