• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 fishook

fishook

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:59 PM

Hi All,
Does anyone know (have any pics) what variety of sizes Coulter Optical offered for Ortho's?
Dan

#2 ji4m

ji4m

Sputnik

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:18 PM

I can only speak for the two I bought - 12.5mm and 25mm. They are volcano top, and do not say Coulter on them. They came in a light gray box with white bottom. I still have them, so I can offer up a photo later if no one else comes forward. They have the ubiquitous ortho appearance, so no surprises in these I own.

#3 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:50 PM

I had a Coulter ortho 6mm which I recently sold. Here are some pics:

Attached Files

#4 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:51 PM

Attached Files

#5 Mariner@sg

Mariner@sg

Ranger 4

• Loc: Little Red Dot

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:42 PM

I think they're in the same range available as Circle T orthos since it's from the same manufacturer.

#6 mgwhittle

mgwhittle

Apollo

• Loc: Chattanooga, TN

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:50 AM

I am pretty sure the one being shown is not a circle T. I say this based on the construction of the eye lens opening, the type of letters stamped Japan and the finish. I believe it's missing a sticker that would have been applied to the side of the upper barrel that had the makers mark symbol of a what I can only describe as an 8 with two lines going through it.

On the other hand, I could be wrong.......

#7 catboat

catboat

Viking 1

• Loc: Maine

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:30 AM

Here's a link to a CN classified that shows the sticker Mark mentioned. If you "supersize" the linked photo on the left and then magnify, you can see the sticker fairly well on the Kellner: a crosshair+ superimposed on an 8.

link to Coulter sticker

#8 mgwhittle

mgwhittle

Apollo

• Loc: Chattanooga, TN

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:34 AM

Yep Edward, you are right, it's not one of those weird figure 8 orthos. But I am still suspect that the pictured one is not a circle T. But like I said I could be wrong.... :confused:

#9 catboat

catboat

Viking 1

• Loc: Maine

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:54 AM

Mark, I think the one shown in this thread by Sarkikos is the same as you mention -- just missing the sticker with the "8" mark.

But the overall build resembles Circle-T products. In the CN link I posted above, the Coulter kellner (not the ortho, my mistake) has the incised line around the lens housing, which, I think, is also typical of UO Circle-T kellners -- altho I don't have an example on hand. So I'm on the fence about whether or not these are Circle-Ts.

Any comments on how the Coulters perform vs. other Japanese volcano tops?

#10 Mariner@sg

Mariner@sg

Ranger 4

• Loc: Little Red Dot

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:36 AM

My take is the make of the EP and the engraving is the same as the Circle-T orthos. The stickers may be missing for these early production pieces, which are usually stamped with JAPAN and a small circle-t insignia (Stamping is not perfect, some portions end up so shallow you can hardly see them).

#11 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:57 PM

As a matter of course, I take all stickers off of my eyepieces. I don't want any chance of one coming loose and gumming up the optics. It's very dewy where I observe, so that could happen. I actually look through my eyepieces, not just look at'em.

What were those manufacturers thinking? Never put stickers on optics! :4

:grin:
Mike

#12 moynihan

moynihan

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Lake Michigan Watershed

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:50 PM

I just went and grabbed my 12.5mm Coulter Ortho i bought long ago, (when i bought my original design Coulter Odyssey 10.1 f/4.5, new...)
On the silver metallic barrel, it clearly says JAPAN then a circle with a T in it. I would not be surprised if they had different makers through the year.
BTW: A good standard ortho, same view as my U.O. volcano top 12.5mm.

#13 Mike Lynch

Mike Lynch

Ranger 4

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:39 AM

Regarding that 6mm Coulter ortho mentioned above, I was the buyer of the one sold by Sarkikos, and I was out for a short time last night with my 127mm f/5.5 homemade refractor looking at Jupiter through it. Clearly (pun there), this was the best of all the eyepieces I tried on Jupiter.

The scope is fast, and I use it typically for deep-sky viewing. So I had a fringe-killer filter, a Baader Moon and Skyglow filter and a stop-down mask to get my best views. Had to let the scope cool down for a while, too. The major belts showed some detail and the Great Tan Spot was easily visible at 116x.

A more 'planetary' scope I'm sure would have done even better.

Mike Lynch
Frankfort KY USA

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics