80/9D came today

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 salty

salty

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:50 PM

glad it came today with the holiday tomorrow.
I am still trying to decide on a mount.
First,let me say I am stunned at how big this scope is. You don't really get a real sense of the size in pictures.In person it looks big.I was reading that the stellarvue mounts-gibralter etc etc are alright for this scope up to medium magnifications but not good enough for high-like 150 or 200X.
It's confusing to a newbie like me and I even read that some justtake the mount on the CG-5 and put it on a heavier tripod. I'm lost.I should just get the porta II mount for now and forget about it-any stability difference between the porta II and the pro model?

#2 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: De Soto County, MS

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:59 AM

It'd be a lot more enjoyable mounted on a Celestron CG-4 GEM motorised in at least right ascension, centering an object in the eyepiece, back into the house for awhile, then returning to find the object still centered.

#3 salty

salty

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:30 AM

well black friday is the day to buy one and I'm looking

#4 salty

salty

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:36 AM

Seems to ba quite a few were sold recently in the classifieds here.
maybe they are not that good?

#5 JIMZ7

JIMZ7

Apollo

• Loc: S.E.Michigan near DTW

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:03 AM

I had one & it worked fine on a Celestron heavy-duty altazimuth mount. Very portable. Optics were avarage I would say. The scope was very nicely made.

Jim :refractor:

#6 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

80mm Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:05 AM

Nice scope, salty! The SV80/9D that I purchased in 2004 was my first "real" refractor. I initially mounted it on a UA Unistar Light mount, which was adequate until I upgraded to a 2" diagonal and heavier EPs. Now I primarily use a UA Unistar Heavy mount; my CG5-ASGT is easily capable of handling this scope as well.

#7 BarrySimon615

BarrySimon615

Pa Bear

• Loc: New Orleans, LA

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:41 AM

I have had the SV80/9D since early 2005 and I am happy with mine. Optics are very good for an achromat and a relatively fast f/9.4. It is a versatile scope with uses as a guide scope, grab and go and as an optical platform for my Coronado 60mm h-alpha solar filter.

I would strongly recommend that you upgrade to the StellarVue Clamshell, which has a built-in Vixen rail plus 1/4-20 threaded holes. This allows for easy mounting to my TeleVue Gibralter mount plus my Celestron CG-4 mount which are both excellent with this scope.

(The standard dual rings that came with mine had relatively thin felt linings and I found that opening and closings of the rings would have the pivot hinge point of the rings hitting the paint on the tube. This may not be a problem with yours, but I would check this to see if your rings are ok.)

Look for the clamshell here: http://www.stellarvue.com/rings.html

Barry Simon

#8 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: De Soto County, MS

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:44 AM

Yeah, and if they weren't that good, they'd still be for sale, wouldn't they.

Notice, all have sold except for...

...one in Lithuania...

...and another for sale as an auto-guiding rig.

I suspect some folks research before they buy thinking it to be a "wonder mount" capable of handling larger scopes and for slightly-less-than-serious astrophotography, and are disappointed afterwards, so they sell them and buy something larger, and more expensive. Realistically, its refractor limit is a 4" f/8(crosses fingers) or smaller, although some are satisfied mounting slightly larger scopes. Celestron is presently mounting heaven and earth upon them, with a fast 6" f/5 refractor to boot.

Have you read this...

http://www.chuckhawk...lestron_CG4.htm

...?

Your 80mm f/9.4 Stellarvue will love it, and with an equatorial you may accomplish higher magnifications. Of course, if you don't care for the blindingly all-white mount, Orion offers the almost-identical "SkyView Pro" in black...

http://www.telescope.../Orion-SkyVi...

...but for $399. I got my CG-4 for $264.99 with free shipping. It was a no-brainer.

My CG-4 was in a big brown truck breezing along I-40 through Dallas the other day. It's in Memphis now, just fifteen miles away. I hope it arrives tomorrow.

But I can wait...no, not really...

I've already received the dual-axis motors with the hand controller. Presently, the motors are dangling from my ears, with the hand controller being utilised in a vain attempt to change red lights when I'm in town.

I went ahead and ordered the Orion 16" extension, and for clearing the tripod along with added stability. After it's all said and done, it'll be my mini-observatory, coupled with my refractor and, for times when I take the refractor for granted, my Orion 6" f/5 reflector, that is, after I remove it from its laminated particle-board turntable and install a dovetail, also ordered.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Alan

#9 salty

salty

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:35 PM

trying to find the best black friday price on the CG-4
thanks

#10 astrogeezer41

astrogeezer41

Vostok 1

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:53 PM

Hi Salty,

I'm glad to hear that you got your SV80/9D and I expect that you will be very happy with it. My SV80/9D is a favorite and
definitely a keeper.

I have mounted mine on three different mounts, all alt-az:
an Orion Versa-Go, an Astro-Tech Voyager with 8" pier extension, and an SV MG2 mount. It worked well on all three,
even at 200x. I find alt-az viewing more comfortable and
grab-and-go and do not do imaging.

It's funny how people react differently to the appearance of
a new telescope. You thought yours looked big and I thought
that mine was a neat little grab-and-go.

I had mine out last night and got great views of Jupiter,
split a couple of favorite doubles and just had a great time. I wish you similar adventures with yours.

Robert
SV80 Aplanat
SV 80/9D
SV102F11 ("The 80/9D on steroids")
6"f/8 Planetary Newtonian (homemade)

#11 Tom S.

Tom S.

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Benicia, Calif.

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:01 PM

I have a SV102ED with a 50mm illuminated reticle finder scope which I'm guessing is similar weight to your 80/9D, and similar in terms of mounting requirements. I use mine on two mounts: a Stellarvue M2 on top of a Bogen 3046 tripod, and an LXD75. The former is great for quick peaks and traveling, and usable for high-power (e.g. 140x) viewing as long as the eyepiece TFOV isn't too small. The latter is rock-solid, not as quick to set up as the M2 but still not bad, and has great tracking and GOTO for visual observing and even some rough AP.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics