• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 JamesL

JamesL

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pacific,MO

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:01 AM

Could someone tell me when to put your lens caps back on, before or after bringing your stuff back in the house.I am really enjoing the views of jupiter and the moon tonight with my c8 but am worried about dew forming when bringing stuff back in,just need to know the proper proceedure for this, thanks...jim

#2 GpB311

GpB311

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:31 AM

I thought I was supposed to leave things open after bringing them in, but I recently found out its actually better to cover things out in the cold(and usually dryer) air before bringing it into warmer, possibly more humid air.

#3 JLovell

JLovell

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:40 AM

I agree. I put the caps on when ever moving from cooler to the warmer, whether that means going outside in the summer, or inside in the winter.

#4 WaterMaster

WaterMaster

Moat Keeper

• Administrators
  • Loc: Southeast Idaho, USA

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:57 AM

Yep, caps on when moving from cooler to warmer. :ubetcha:

#5 star drop

star drop

contra contrail

• Moderators
  • Loc: Snow Plop, WNY

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:20 AM

Cap up your telescope and eyepieces. Then wait until late the next day before checking them, if you must. I don't even bother checking my eyepieces as I've not had a problem in over 37 years.

#6 JamesL

JamesL

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pacific,MO

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:12 AM

ok, thanks, and happy thanksgiving!

#7 wky46

wky46

Surveyor 1

• Loc: west Ky.

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:20 AM

Always cap before bringing in. HOWEVER - My scope has a metal lens cap and I never payed attention to any dew or frost underneath it because I kept it facing down outside. Big mistake, as the underneath frosted as well. Started noticing some mold on the lens and then figured out later that I was just sealing in the moisture. I keep my lens cover inside now until I'm ready to cap everything off for the night BTW- Happy Thanksgiving!

#8 JohnMurphyRN

JohnMurphyRN

Mariner 2

• Loc: Near St Louis

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:30 AM

If it's already wet from dew I bring it in uncapped, let it dry and then cap it. If it's dry I cap it outside to trap the cold dry air under the cap and prevent condensation.

#9 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NC

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:31 AM

Yes the skies a clear and cold here in NC...been a great week! Cap first!

#10 mich_al

mich_al

Vanguard

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:07 PM

when I used to bring my stuff in after observing I had a box with a lid for my OTA. In the winter the box & OTA went out together and I didn't seal the lid while they where outside and the OTA was on the mount. When I was done the OTA went back in the box, seal the lid and bring them both inside and leave the box cover on. The mount just went out and in. It would be good to treat it like the OTA but I didn't think it was as critical. The next day I opened the box I let it all air out. The OTA is surrounded by the dry outside air and comes to indoor temps slowly and doesn't get a big hit of indoor humidity/temps.

Al

#11 tezster

tezster

Viking 1

• Loc: Missisauga, Canada

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:16 PM

What if you're observing at a remote site and breaking down a scope for transport in a car? Does the same rule apply in terms of capping while it's outside?

Also, what if dew has already formed on the secondary? I would be wary of keeping it exposed while moving it into the car, as well as during the drive back.

#12 JohnMurphyRN

JohnMurphyRN

Mariner 2

• Loc: Near St Louis

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:46 PM

What if you're observing at a remote site and breaking down a scope for transport in a car? Does the same rule apply in terms of capping while it's outside?

Also, what if dew has already formed on the secondary? I would be wary of keeping it exposed while moving it into the car, as well as during the drive back.

I'd cover it well enough to keep anything from touching it in the car. I wouldn't worry about the temperature differential in the car - the air in the car will be very dry and shouldn't condense any moisture onto it.

#13 JLovell

JLovell

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:10 PM

The car will be the same temperature as the outside, so I'd go ahead and cap to protect the scope. The car will gradually warm up, and the humidity will actually go down for the most part, because the total moisture in the car is the same, but temperature goes up.

Actually, you will add some moisture by breathing... the more people, the more moisture. That's why car windows fog up in cold weather. Having the scope capped protects the insides from your breath condensing.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics