Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:46 PM

Pic2

Attached Files

#102 davidpitre

davidpitre

Soyuz

• Loc: Central Texas

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:58 PM

While the images in the original edition are great, it is the Mr Crossen's text that makes this a classic, first rate book.

#103 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators
  • Loc: Trussville, AL

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:00 AM

Since Sky Vistas and Burnham Celestial Handbook are my favorite observing companions, I had no choice but to bound my copy of Sky Vistas. Unfortunately the pages were falling out and replacing it was too much hassle. This is not typical of Springer. Nevertheless, I can't stress enough how much I love this companion.

I don own a copy but my local library does. The binding seemed pretty good. Did you have a Print on Demand or a original run edition?

#104 rookie

rookie

Good Night Nurse

• Loc: St. Petersburg, FL

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:08 PM

Are there any rumors about the completion and publication of his new book on ancient Babylonian Constellations?

#105 Daniel Mounsey

Daniel Mounsey

Vendor (Woodland Hills)

• Vendors

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:46 PM

The paper is pretty bad. It's like it came out of a xerox machine and fell apart, so I had no choice. It's probably a copy by demand.

#106 Daniel Mounsey

Daniel Mounsey

Vendor (Woodland Hills)

• Vendors

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:47 PM

Maybe Crossen can chime in to confirm.

#107 Stellarfire

Stellarfire

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Switzerland

Posted 27 July 2014 - 01:31 PM

The paper is pretty bad. It's like it came out of a xerox machine and fell apart, so I had no choice. It's probably a copy by demand.

Xerox paper quality? Hmmm..., sounds like one of those cheaply made POD copies as distributed by Amazon.

Springer informed me that they do not have any genuine copies remaining in stock. And forget the POD-junk as distributed by Amazon.

The only way to get now a genuine copy with its outstanding paper, printing and binding quality is to buy used. Genuine copies still can be encountered with a little patience and checking around.

To all who are looking for the real McCoy and not POD, see my post #5680659 - 15/02/13 04:00 AM earlier in this thread, giving the description of the genuine edition (copied below):

Red endpapers at beginning and end of book.

The following info is found at the beginning:
Copyright 2004 Springer Verlag/Wien
Printed in Austria
ISBN 3-211-00851-9 Springer-Verlag Wien New York

Oddly, the ISBN on back cover and back side of dust jacket differs from above ISBN and says ISBN 3-211-00851-7

The genuine edition is sewn-bound, the white filament is well visible in the fold, for example in the fold between pages 134/135.

One of the most helpful identification characteristics of the genuine Austria-printed edition is to know its exact weight. I just weighted it (including dust cover) on a precise digital balance, it says 1,627 grams (changes in air humidity may cause very slight differences from this reading, let's say up to about +/- 5 grams).

Hope these infos are helpful.

Stephan

#108 rookie

rookie

Good Night Nurse

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:39 AM

If you can avoid Amazon, I suggest trying AbeBooks.com. Their book search has Collectible Attributes filters that includes a selection called "Not Printed on Demand". I've used it many times to avoid those reproductions.
  • faackanders2 likes this

#109 Daniel Mounsey

Daniel Mounsey

Vendor (Woodland Hills)

• Vendors

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:20 AM

Thanks for the info guys. I'll go back through this thread again. It would be nice to find a genuine copy.

#110 Rich_W

Rich_W

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:24 PM

I just obtained a used copy of the original edition through a seller on Amazon.    Condition was described as "good," but other than being 10 years old, it's in very nice condition and even includes the original dust jacket.     I've just begun to read it but I can see this is going to be one of my most consulted books.     I'm delighted to have it.    

• Daniel Mounsey likes this

#111 faackanders2

faackanders2

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 30 August 2014 - 11:16 PM

Ordered a used Sky Vista - Not Print On Demand - from Abe Books.

• rookie likes this

#112 Crossen

Crossen

Vostok 1

• Loc: Vienna

Posted 03 September 2014 - 05:37 AM

Are there any rumors about the completion and publication of his new book on ancient Babylonian Constellations?

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply to this question.  I did not see this thread until last week:  I've had an agreeably busy summer with my English language tutoring and academic editing work here in Vienna.

I am presently working on the final section of the Constellation History book, which is a series of illustrated discussions on each of the known Sumero-Babylonian constellations.  This is a rather long section because each discussion is a mini-cultural-history essay on the cultural context of that particular constellation or star-name--why the Mesopotamians had this constellation in the sky and how it relates to their material, religious, and mythological culture and even to their political history.  I've also decided to add a section on the constellations and star names of Southern Arabia.  One of the specialities of the Oriental Institute of the University of Vienna is South Arabian Studies, so I have access to the most up-to-date philological and archaeological information about that area.

But I don't expect to be finished with the book this year.  I'm taking my time and taking advantage of my living circumstances to run some of my ideas about Mesopotamian and Arabian star-name and constellation history by the Assyriologists and Arabists here at the Oriental Institute.  I want this book to be done right. A background study of the history and culture of the Arabs, Romans, Greeks, Egyptians, and Mesopotamians are necessary.  There are no short-cuts:  if you want to write about the history of the constellations, an in-depth knowledge of all these cultures is necessary.

Craig Crossen

Edited by Geo557, 06 September 2014 - 09:08 PM.

• ArizonaScott and rookie like this

#113 rockethead26

rockethead26

Gemini

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 03 September 2014 - 08:44 AM

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply to this question.  I did not see this thread until last week:  I've had an agreeably busy summer with my English language tutoring and academic editing work here in Vienna.

I am presently working on the final section of the Constellation History book, which is a series of illustrated discussions on each of the known Sumero-Babylonian constellations.  This is a rather long section because each discussion is a mini-cultural-history essay on the cultural context of that particular constellation or star-name--why the Mesopotamians had this constellation in the sky and how it relates to their material, religious, and mythological culture and even to their political history.  I've also decided to add a section on the constellations and star names of Southern Arabia.  One of the specialities of the Oriental Institute of the University of Vienna is South Arabian Studies, so I have access to the most up-to-date philological and archaeological information about that area.

But I don't expect to be finished with the book this year.  I'm taking my time and taking advantage of my living circumstances to run some of my ideas about Mesopotamian and Arabian star-name and constellation history by the Assyriologists and Arabists here at the Oriental Institute.  I want this book to be done right. A background study of the history and culture of the Arabs, Romans, Greeks, Egyptians, and Mesopotamians are necessary.  There are no short-cuts:  if you want to write about the history of the constellations, an in-depth knowledge of all these cultures is necessary.

Craig Crossen

Excellent! Looking forward to the book when it's done.

Edited by Geo557, 06 September 2014 - 09:08 PM.

• rookie likes this

#114 Wmacky

Wmacky

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Florida

Posted 03 September 2014 - 06:03 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I'll go back through this thread again. It would be nice to find a genuine copy.

I went through this process a while back, and wasted a lot of time and effort. After many assurances, I ended up having to return a horrible POD version. I have since given up. I'm sure it's a fine read, but it's not worth further wasted time for just one book.  Must be upsetting to Craig for springer to do this after all the effort he spent.  Shame

#115 faackanders2

faackanders2

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 03 September 2014 - 09:57 PM

Received my used hard cover "Sky Vista" book with all color plates from Abe Books but light packing says Textbook Rush, so my wife opened it up thinking it was my daughters college textbooks sent to the wrong address.  Used book was rated as "good" and it did come with cover jacket, no marking nor tears, but may have been in a library.  Cost was $71 plus $4 shipping=$75.  Expensive for a used book, but worth it (knowing I am not getting a "print on demand" zerox copy).

Thanks for recomending Abe Books and advising us to select the filter for "Not Print on nDemand"!

• rookie likes this

#116 rookie

rookie

Good Night Nurse

Posted 05 September 2014 - 06:36 PM

Received my used hard cover "Sky Vista" book with all color plates from Abe Books but light packing says Textbook Rush, so my wife opened it up thinking it was my daughters college textbooks sent to the wrong address.  Used book was rated as "good" and it did come with cover jacket, no marking nor tears, but may have been in a library.  Cost was $71 plus $4 shipping=$75.  Expensive for a used book, but worth it (knowing I am not getting a "print on demand" zerox copy).

Thanks for recomending Abe Books and advising us to select the filter for "Not Print on nDemand"!

I'm so glad that worked for you!

#117 faackanders2

faackanders2

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 05 September 2014 - 07:00 PM

I'm so glad that worked for you!

Thank you!

#118 Daniel Mounsey

Daniel Mounsey

Vendor (Woodland Hills)

• Vendors

Posted 08 September 2014 - 07:14 PM

This is good info.

• rookie likes this

#119 LB16europe

LB16europe

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Spain

Posted 09 September 2014 - 08:46 PM

Good luck in your new endeavor, Craig. I'm looking forward to reading it since I'm very interested in cultural astronomy and archeoastronomy, as well as in anything related to ancient middle-east history.

Edited by LB16europe, 09 September 2014 - 08:46 PM.

#120 faackanders2

faackanders2

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 09 September 2014 - 09:05 PM

Read part of the book, and went through the first third color prints (and compared objects to sky atlas 2000 and other charts) and look forward to reading the rest.  Definitely worth getting the real color book.

• rookie likes this

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics