• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jackw45

jackw45

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Fort Collins, CO

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:42 AM

High so I have a problem with the tracking on my Celestar 8 telescope. A gear that meshes to the mount does not move and seems stuck. I was wondering if anyone has had this problem or knows of a solution. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 Koen Dierckens

Koen Dierckens

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Antwerp, Belgium

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:00 AM

I don't have any experience with your type of telescope, but I guess we are talking about basic mechanics here.

How did you determine that the gear probably is stuck? Did you open some covers? How is the condition of the grease? Are there any bolts that can be tightened or removed in order to troubleshoot further?
Pictures or links to short movies that show the malfunction always help us to better understand your problem.

#3 ke4kso

ke4kso

Vostok 1

• Loc: Chiefland Fl.

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:33 PM

If its the slow motion knob on the fork arm it may have reached the end of its travel and will need to be recentered. If I remember right you can see if the tangent arm is centered by looking at the arm and gear (its open in the fork arm). I no longer have a Celestar, but you can only use that control knob in one direction for so long until you have to return it to center. Hope thats your problem.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics