CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Three asteroids in Gemini on Thanksgiving morning!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 David E

David E

Aurora

• Loc: North Carolina

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:12 AM

I've been trying this for weeks, but been clouded out until this morning, Thanksgiving Day! Not talking turkey here, but I nabbed two new asteroids to add to my list (up to 30 now!) and Ceres, a frequent target, made up the third. Ariadne, at estimated magnitude 11.5, was the toughest, as it was surrounded by a sea of magnitude ~11 stars. But Ceres, a much brighter target, was only 42' to it's west. So once I made positive ID of Ariadne, I backed off to low power. That's the first time I caught two asteroids in the same field of view!:hamsterdance: Open clusters M35 and NGC 2158 were also in the very same field of view, making for a very rich viewing experience! :cool:

Metis, at estimated magnitude 9.5, was a much quicker catch. It's not only brighter, but it's proximity to a magnitude 8.5 red giant made it an easy ID. Metis is currently about 3º south of Wasat. What a way to start Thanksgiving Day!

#2 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: Pampanga, PI

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:53 AM

Happy Thanksgiving, David.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics