Power cord?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rigel123

rigel123

Voyager 1

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:14 AM

My brother and I had his 3.5 Standard out last night that he has only used a few times since he got it from an estate sale. It is a beautiful scope, great views, etc. We tried to power it with the brown power cord in the case and there is no where to plug it in. There are ports on the bottom and one is a 12v port, but this cord has no way to plug into it. There is also a compartment for a 9 volt battery that we changed and when powered on the LED lights up and the LED on the little hand controller lights up but the scope would not respond in movement when pressing any of the buttons and we could tell it was not tracking at all either.

Are we missing something (engaging clutches, etc) or does this sound like something where the scope needs to be sent in for repair?

#2 Billydee

Billydee

Viking 1

• Loc: Winter Haven, FL

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:19 PM

Your Q does not use a 115 volt AC power source. It is powered by the 9 volt DC battery in the base. It was probably returned to Questar after purchase and was converted from AC to DC. The system you have is called PowerGuide I (PG I). You can call Questar and give them the serial number on the base and they can tell you if that is the case.

You may have a problem or it maybe as simple as getting the operating instructions for PG I. The PG I has a hand controller that runs the motor in the base. It has 7 function buttons and these control the Q. This hand controller is no longer available and I have never seen the HC listed on the used market. I know of one person that has tried to find one for over 3 years. I think the top 3 buttons control the functions of the system and the lower 4 buttons control the direction of movement. The PG I system has been replaced by PG II and it only has 4 buttons. Look in the instruction manual and see if there is information on PG I if not it may have been on a single piece of paper. You should call Questar and find out about how to activate the HC or if they can send you directions on the PG I or how to return the unit for service.

Luck, Bill

#3 rigel123

rigel123

Voyager 1

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:43 AM

Thanks Bill, we do have the hand controller but nothing happened when pressing any of the buttons so I'm thinking we will take the bottom plate off to see if the motor is even working. Thanks for confirming what I suspected!

#4 Billydee

Billydee

Viking 1

• Loc: Winter Haven, FL

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:59 PM

I expect that you will probably need to push more than one button at a time to wake up the controller (a simple quick call to Questar will get you an answer, they are really nice people). You don't have to take the bottom off to check if the motor is working. Take a small piece of tape and put it on the base at the indicator that shows the base location and power it up for an hour or so and see if it moves. Some Qs have a screw lock on that indicator. Make sure it is not screwed tight.

Luck, Bill

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics