Review of Explore Scientific ED127 APO Refractor

By Tom Fowler

#2 George N

George N

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:45 PM

Nice review!

I’ve owned one of these scopes for several years and I love it. Mine was the demo scope used by Scott Roberts for a while. A good number of people have been impressed with it.

I also use the same mount (mostly), but sometimes put it on my MI-250. With the tripod and CG-5 the tube will sometimes hit the legs when slewing near the zenith, so I plan on buying one of Orion’s extender piers.

This size scope is small enough that I often set it up along with my Obsession 20 for observing. I doubt that I’d have the energy to do that with a 6-inch.

#3 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:47 PM

Nice review, Tom. I think folks will look back at these in a few years as one of the great values (like the original Synta 80mm ED doublet) in the hobby. The price has gone up by about $500 since the long-term sale pricing expired. I suspect that the price will continue to rise slowly as manufacturing costs for the glasses and other components continue to rise.

- Jim

#4 Alex Gastélum

Alex Gastélum

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tijuana, México

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:21 PM

Nice review.
I have been trying to use mine on good sky conditions that just have not arrived :(

#5 morrisng2

morrisng2

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

Great review! I bought and owned one of the CF version based on this review.

Quick question: How did you adapt the mounting bracket of the Orion Accufocus? I found the 2 focuser locking screws blocking all the brackets came with the Accufocus. If you can, could you post a picture of the bracket you modified?

Thanks!

- Morris

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics