CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Review of Explore Scientific ED127 APO Refractor

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Voyager 1

• Administrators
  • Loc: 26.06.08N, +80.23.08W

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:43 PM

Review of Explore Scientific ED127 APO Refractor

By Tom Fowler

#2 George N

George N

Gemini

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:45 PM

Nice review!

I’ve owned one of these scopes for several years and I love it. Mine was the demo scope used by Scott Roberts for a while. A good number of people have been impressed with it.

I also use the same mount (mostly), but sometimes put it on my MI-250. With the tripod and CG-5 the tube will sometimes hit the legs when slewing near the zenith, so I plan on buying one of Orion’s extender piers.

This size scope is small enough that I often set it up along with my Obsession 20 for observing. I doubt that I’d have the energy to do that with a 6-inch.

#3 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:47 PM

Nice review, Tom. I think folks will look back at these in a few years as one of the great values (like the original Synta 80mm ED doublet) in the hobby. The price has gone up by about $500 since the long-term sale pricing expired. I suspect that the price will continue to rise slowly as manufacturing costs for the glasses and other components continue to rise.

- Jim

#4 Alex Gastélum

Alex Gastélum

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tijuana, México

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:21 PM

Nice review.
I have been trying to use mine on good sky conditions that just have not arrived :(

#5 morrisng2

morrisng2

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

Great review! I bought and owned one of the CF version based on this review.

Quick question: How did you adapt the mounting bracket of the Orion Accufocus? I found the 2 focuser locking screws blocking all the brackets came with the Accufocus. If you can, could you post a picture of the bracket you modified?

Thanks!

- Morris

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics