• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Peter Natscher

Peter Natscher

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central Coast California

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:14 PM

Will tonight be a good time to view Alpine Valley, and possibly the thin central rille along its center? Tonight's moon is 9.8 days old this orbit. I'm wondering how the valley's sun illumination and shadows will be. I'm going to use a big refractor and bino's if seeing permits.

#2 gfeulner

gfeulner

Mariner 2

• Loc: Bergen county, New Jersey

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:00 PM

I tried last night (wed) but the seeing wasn't too good and I think if the terminator was closer, I might have had a shot.

#3 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:58 PM

Well I'd look at it this way: if it is possible you've got a heck of a ringside seat. In looking for it you may find while the entire filled isn't there sections of it are. If I'm out early enough ill gander it.

Pete

#4 Ain Soph Aur

Ain Soph Aur

Viking 1

• Loc: West Tennessee

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:40 PM

Vallis Alpis isn't quite as impressive this evening as it was the past two evenings.

#5 Perigny270

Perigny270

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Temiscaming, Quebec

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:36 PM

It was really good on Tuesday (20th). It and Mons Piton drew me there right away.

#6 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:56 AM

Well I gave it a look around 11pm EST. One end had a dithering of detail where the rille is but most of it was awash in too steep a lighting angle. It looked great but I only got a fragment in 7/10 seeing. I usually miss the better angled lighting when I have looked and so I get fragments.

What was WAY cool and I hope you saw it was the Hadley Rille. Great presentation tonight with it showing not only resolved width but generally half filled with shadow with the other side nicely sunlit. The Apollo 15 area though smooth had nice details in that particular area. I semi resolved a craterlets at 360x that sits in the crook of the rille elbow by the landing site. Not sculptural resolution of a crater per se but the interference it provided in the otherwise smoothly defined rille.

A decent seeing night actually. I regret I couldnt get out a couple hours earlier for better elevation.

Pete

#7 Peter Natscher

Peter Natscher

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central Coast California

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:05 PM

What telescope were you using, Pete? I was up to 400X on the Alpine Valley with the AP 175mm but couldn't catch the Rille due to less than required seeing. The sun angle is also getting higher on the Valley so that the Rille's shadow will be less noticeable. I will try again tonight since the seeing is forecast to be very good but I'm 1 mile in from the Pacific coast and this adds a 1,000 ft. elev. cold layer of air above me that worsens seeing a bit. Last night, I judged seeing by counting the craterlets I could spot on the floor of Plato near to Alpine Valley. I only saw the two largest ones at its center -- so this suggested that the seeing wasn't really that good. I'm used to spotting 4-5 craterlets.

Well I gave it a look around 11pm EST. One end had a dithering of detail where the rille is but most of it was awash in too steep a lighting angle. It looked great but I only got a fragment in 7/10 seeing. I usually miss the better angled lighting when I have looked and so I get fragments.

--------------

What was WAY cool and I hope you saw it was the Hadley Rille. Great presentation tonight with it showing not only resolved width but generally half filled with shadow with the other side nicely sunlit. The Apollo 15 area though smooth had nice details in that particular area. I semi resolved a craterlets at 360x that sits in the crook of the rille elbow by the landing site. Not sculptural resolution of a crater per se but the interference it provided in the otherwise smoothly defined rille.

A decent seeing night actually. I regret I couldnt get out a couple hours earlier for better elevation.

Pete

#8 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:56 PM

Actually it wasnt part of the rille that I saw but that chain of craterlets. I thought it was a part of the rille but I forgot that little assembledge can masquerade as a psuedo rima. The scope was my 8" reflector at 364x. Weathers been unusual for this time of year in that I had 7/10 seeing which all things considered a fairly rare thing here in November. Those ejecta crater chains around copernicus was jaw dropping. At anyrate with the typical 5/10 seeing this time of year I wouldnt have even caught the craters in the valley.

Pete

#9 RobDob

RobDob

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Brentwood (East Bay Area), CA

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:33 AM

Tonight was washed out... Wish I would have viewed it two days/nights ago...

Here's a piccie from tonights viewing:

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics