New role for my T6s. HA solar!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 dscarpa

dscarpa

Gemini

• Loc: San Diego Ca.

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:30 PM

After being pushed out of the dark side by my increasing hoard of 65-72 degree eyepieces with cooler tone and better clarity than the T6s at least some of them were destined for the block. Before doing so I decided to give them a try in my Lunt 60. Truth be told I had done that a while back but they had the stock eyecups vs the 2" ones now.
It turns out the T6s are excellent for solar. Not that surprising given their being very sharp with great contrast. The warmer tone seems to make surface detail stand out nicely with 3D filaments. Proms are very sharp and fine structure shows well. When they had the stock eyecups it was hard to maintain position to put it mildly and as to blocking light really bad. However with the 2" ones it was pretty near ideal. It's are easy to maintain eye position and shield them and they're not prone to fog when it's humid. Being light they're usable with my tail heavy Lunt 60 single etalon on a WO EZTouch that has axis lock issues. I like the T6's short ER for solar. The power range using with the 7mm, 9mm and 11mm Fls plus the barlows is near perfect. With my scope the sweet spot is 60%-70% of the FOV wether it's 50* or 82* so the T6's FOV makes for a big sweet spot. It just so happens as this post is being written I'm using the 11 T6 with the 2X TV barlow for 90X-100X with lots of surface activity and very good conditions. It's quite the sight with the active areas having a glowing ember quality and a darkish orange surface. So will you be seeing any of my T6s in CNC? Not likely! David

#2 slack

slack

Ranger 4

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:18 PM

I've been enjoying a pair of 13mm T6s for h-alpha binoviewing (at 1x/46x mag). I experimented with 9mm T6s but didn't care for them at all, day or night.

#3 dscarpa

dscarpa

Gemini

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:25 AM

I don't have any issues with my 9 T6 for night. It seems the same image quality wise and ease of use wise as the 7 and 11. I've got a bunch a barlows and have matched magnifications with them for lunar-planetary and DSOs. I use the T6s and for that matter all other eyepieces mono what with having an eye I don't want to add to the mix. I haven't tried the 9 for solar yet but will do so today when the fog lifts. I used the 7 T6 alone in the Lunt 60 yesterday and the result was as good as the 11 in the 2X TV barlow.

#4 slack

slack

Ranger 4

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:50 AM

I compared two 9mm T6s to two ES 8.8mm 82 N2s in daytime and nighttime testing in TV refractors. The ES resolved greater detail in fairly comprehensive daytime resolution tests, and was far better for h-alpha as the 9mm T6 had terrible blackout issues. (The 9mm T6 did require less "in" focus, which can be helpful.) At night, the 9mm T6 required constant futzing with focus to resolve lunar detail that seemed to snap into focus with the ES 8.8mm. I also found stars to be sharper across the entire AFOV in the ES than in the 9mm T6 and perceived to see fainter objects faster in the ES than in the 9mm T6. I subsequently heard from others on this board who also do not care for the 9mm T6.

That said, I compared pairs of 13mm T6s to pairs of ES 14mm and 11mm 82 N2s and preferred the 13mm T6s.

#5 dscarpa

dscarpa

Gemini

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:32 PM

I found all of my T6s to have major blackout and eye placement issues used for solar with the stock eyecups. For me they were pretty much unusable. For nighttime use I also find the 2" eyecups are a big improvement making all much easier to use and more immersive to boot. The Suns burning off the fog. I'll give the 9 a try alone and in my 1.5X Siebert barlow and report back. Just tried the 9 and I'm happy to say that it's every bit as good for solar image quality and ease of use wise alone and barlowed as the 7 and 11! There are some flares and lots of active areas. The 9 in the Siebert barlow is going to be a favorite of mine as that's a power range I like and use a lot. The combo gives me 80X-90X which is a nice jump over the 71X I get with the 7 alone. David

#6 slack

slack

Ranger 4

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:13 AM

Well, I went out late today for h-alpha (and this evening for lunar, Jupiter and some double stars) and might be changing my mind about the 13mm T6 (46x) vs the ES 14mm 82 N2 (43x). I preferred the ES 14mm today and tonight.

Actually, 24mm Pans (25x) put up the overall nicest view of the sun today, though a significantly smaller presentation.

#7 John F

John F

Viking 1

• Loc: Washington State

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:09 AM

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'll have to my give T6 Naglers a try with my 75mm Lunt HA Filter. So far I've just been using the Lunt Solar Zoom eyepiece with it and had been pleased enough with its performance that I had not bothered to try any of my other eyepieces with it.

John Finnan

#8 Keith

Keith

Messenger

• Loc: Costa Mesa, CA USA

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:28 AM

public servive announcement for any lurkers with PST's. Some of the T6 will not reach focus in some PSTs due to needing more in-focus, just out of range of the PST's limited range focuser. I forgot which ones exactly, but test before you commit to one.

#9 dscarpa

dscarpa

Gemini

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:14 PM

The T6s are parfocal so if one doesn't come to focus I doubt any of the others would. David

#10 slack

slack

Ranger 4

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:29 PM

public servive announcement for any lurkers with PST's. Some of the T6 will not reach focus in some PSTs due to needing more in-focus, just out of range of the PST's limited range focuser. I forgot which ones exactly, but test before you commit to one.

Wow... That would be surprising to me because all the Explore Scientific 82 N2 eyepieces I've tried have required significantly more inward focus travel than the T6s (and the 12mm AT Paradigm so much that it was unusable in my h-alpha rig without modding something).

#11 Keith

Keith

Messenger

• Loc: Costa Mesa, CA USA

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:11 AM

just something I experienced during my 5 year tenure at OPT, of the 2 sample PSTs that OPT had, some of the T6s just would not reach focus, and the ones that did, reached it just barely at the end of travel for my eye at least.

PST does not have much of a focusing mechanism, being internal and all.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics