• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 GreatGigInTheSky

GreatGigInTheSky

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Clara, California

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:45 PM

Hi guys. Due to demands of a new job and some family issues, I've been away for a while, but I'm now off for the Thanksgiving holiday and couldn't let it go by without imaging Jupiter. I went out last night with the intent of just setting up, reminding myself of all the correct settings to use for capture and processing with a couple test images since we just had a front pass through here the day before, and the CSC predicted seeing of nothing more than average.

After an early evening wind died off to complete stillness, however, the seeing got pretty good -- I would estimate 8/10, and I went into full data capture mode after my test images showed promise. Here's a first result, and a question. This is at f/30 and enlarged 150%.

My question is, why do I (and I notice many others here) get moon images that look like a football, while the shadow appears round, and is there anything that can be done in terms of processing the moon separately to get a nice round image to composite with the planet image? I tried stacking in AS!2 with just one align point on the moon, but that didn't get the result I was looking for. In fact, the planet looked so good it made me wonder whether single align point is enough for the planet.

Anyway, it's good to be imaging again, and it's great to see all the wonderful results you guys have been producing. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Attached Files

#2 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:12 PM

Wow that's exactly what I was watching last night. LOL nice to see all the details I missed in 6/10 seeing!

Pete

#3 GreatGigInTheSky

GreatGigInTheSky

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:44 PM

Same data, with smoother processing, color tweak. I've got a lot more data to process, and if this afternoon's weather holds into the evening, it will be another good night!

Attached Files

#4 MvZ

MvZ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:18 PM

The moon was probably stacked perfectly. You can use a very small AP and try again to be sure (with an AP just 2 or 3 times larger than Io). Processing was a bit too harsh for the moon, so try to take it more easy.

The reason you see it as a football is because the poles of Io are slightly darker. After sharpening, this easily gets burned out, but only if the moon is not in front of the planet (then the contrast difference would be much smaller, and Io would just look round with darker poles)

So basically this is normal for Io against a dark background, but you should adjust your processing a bit to make it less apparent. The second image is already much better.

#5 GreatGigInTheSky

GreatGigInTheSky

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:25 PM

Thanks, Emil -- I think your advice is spot-on. I'm finding that processing this data, less is more. Here's another from a bit later in the session without any processing other than AS!2 and R6 for wavelets, slight resize and color balance.

Attached Files

#6 DesertRat

DesertRat

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Valley of the Sun

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:45 PM

Nice work Jeff! Yep you got the Io football alright, for the reasons Emil noted. I like the color on the last one best.

Glenn

#7 Hillbrad

Hillbrad

Viking 1

• Loc: Nashville, Tennessee

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:45 AM

Great shots Jeff! Yeah you nailed the shape of Io. I like the color balance on the last one the best...less blue.

Brad

#8 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:15 AM

Excellent Jeff - and I'd also go with the last processing as the best.....but it looks like you could be playing with this data for quite some time on account of the quality - congratulations!! :waytogo: :cool:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics