For the umpteenth time...

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 strdst

strdst

Soyuz

• Loc: Oregon Territory

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:37 PM

Currently, where can the 36.4 mm to 1.25 adapter be found? It seems that the Vixen adapter has been discontinued. I know Borg was another maker but just haven't found where to buy it yet. I need to order fast before I find another junk telescope that captures my attention! :lol:

Thanks,

other keith

#2 Compressorguy

Compressorguy

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Clayton, NC

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:12 PM

Here you go...........

http://www.hutech.com/

#3 Ducky62

Ducky62

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: The ATL

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:21 PM

Seem to be everywhere:

Ebay Vixen #3720

#4 strdst

strdst

Soyuz

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:57 PM

Thanks Scott and Ducky but...

The Astro Hutech part # 7316 doesn't appear to be threaded (male) like I need. Maybe I'm not seeing the correct part?

The Vixen looks maybe, kinda, sorta male threaded in the photo but I'm not sure. Is it? I had looked on eBay this morning for a 36.4 to 1.25" adapter. Mixing apples with oranges I came up with an empty checkout basket. Other than the absurd shipping cost for a teeny ring of aluminum, this one looks, (as long as the threads match) like the object of my desire.

Thank you again... eat on! :lol:

#5 Compressorguy

Compressorguy

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Clayton, NC

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:08 PM

Part number is #7317. Check out this link. I really like the Borg over the Vixen, although the Vixen is more vintage looking.

http://www.cloudynig...3174977/page...

#6 sgorton99

sgorton99

Gemini

• Loc: Wisconsin, Madison

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:12 PM

If u need one for a Unitron, Danny Crawford makes this one.

Attached Files

#7 Ducky62

Ducky62

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: The ATL

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:32 PM

I like the Vixen part because all mine are on Vixen 'scopes!
I'm actually short one of the 36.4mm .965" fittings 'cause I like to have both with each telescope if it was originally kitted as a .965".

#8 terraclarke

terraclarke

Aurora

• Loc: The Bluegrass State

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:35 AM

Also B&H Photo

#9 Bill Griffith

Bill Griffith

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ca.

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:27 PM

Keith,

Mike West at OPT is familiar now with classicholics needing this adapter and how many different brands used the same sized focus adapters.

I had a back order in with OPT for so long I contacted Vixen to see if the adapter had been discontinued.
Absolutely not I was told. Relieved was felt as I had skin in the game. :D

Talking in length with Vixen of the need and hoping not to drive the adapter price up I was explained. Vixen USA is faced with placing an order and getting a supply of adapters in from corporate and that amount is sent out to their retail vendors for their back orders. That appears that consumes the inventory and the cycle starts again. Wow!

We discussed raising the production quantity because Vixen was wondering why these adapters are always on back order.

Vixen's visit was very pleasant. Gave me a forecast when my order would be filled and they were spot on. I checked if in OPT's inventory there was one extra there was so, I picked up the extra for an early Christmas.

Order extra!

Now if anything happens with production increase. Well... :shrug:.

You can order straight from Vixen also. Essentially the same price.

Bill

#10 strdst

strdst

Soyuz

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:02 PM

Thanks all.

What is pushing me to try the adapter (instead of just the hybrid diagonal that I have used for years) is the scope on the left. It is my Lafayette Arcturus. There just isn't nearly enough in-focus to use anything but the supplied eyepieces. Even some nice Nippon Kogaku eps in .965 won't focus.

As I was setting out some scopes to illustrate, I realized that the Lafayette also has a somewhat longer visual back which if swapped with the middle scope (Monolux 4380) would probably focus just fine with the hybrid diagonal at infinity (and beyond :)) I also see that the way the Lafayette is made, even a bit different than the Sears 6345 on the right, I would need the Vixen type thread-in as there isn't a chrome tube to attach the Borg to.

Of course now I will need a great 1.25" diagonal to use with this new adapter. Anyone have a pristine used Tak diagonal at half the new price? Hmmm, didn't think so!

Attached Files

#11 akman1955

akman1955

Gemini

• Loc: Alaska, USA

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:08 PM

:)unitron made vthis many decades ago.. :tonofbricks:

Attached Files

#12 TahoeNoob

TahoeNoob

Mariner 2

• Loc: Sierra Nevada

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:54 AM

Scopestuff:

0.965" to 1.25" Hybrid Mirror Star Diagonal
http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_eda9.htm

#13 strdst

strdst

Soyuz

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:19 PM

So finally I made the purchase through Optics Planet. Their price wasn't the lowest until the S&H costs were added and I think then it was. I chose the Vixen 3720 as it will fit most everything I want to convert. Now the next step (isn't it aleways a multi step process, usually 12? :lol:) I have a 1980's ish Celestron star diagonal that came with a same vintage Orange C-8. Since every step in the optical train influences, enhances, or diminishes prior gains created by quality optics would upgrading to say a Tak prism diagonal be reasonable or ?

I have a Tak 102fs, using a Celestron diagonal shared by my C-8. I have been using a hybrid diagonal with my classic Japanese refractors. Fine classic Japanese refractor, fairly cheap hybrid diagonal, expensive Nagler or Takahashi eyepiece. Seems like the middle element could be shorting the other ends of the system. So I'm asking if a very high end diagonal makes sense as I'm using high end objectives and eyepieces to bring the visual experience home. Would this make fiscal sense or am I stepping off a cliff?

thanks other keith

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics