Neighbor's Annoying Dog

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
132 replies to this topic

#1 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

• Loc: nj

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:40 PM

Everytime I'm outside this cute little dog just yacks away. OMG!

Well my neighbor is a recent 80yr young widow and her *&*$# daughters suggested,"oh get a dog, and how about this kind, they like to bark, it will protect you."

it gets so bad they have to come bring the dog inside. Maybe I'll get some peace while I'm observing but soon comes that *$^% annoying barking dog!!! Again!!! It's even outside barking as I type this.

I want to get some bark begone but I read those devices only work for a little while then the dog get use to the frequencies and continues to bark all over again.

OMG!!!

Attached Files

#2 wky46

wky46

Surveyor 1

• Loc: west Ky.

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:47 PM

I feel your pain, that's one reason I moved to the country.

#3 Spoonsize

Spoonsize

DURHAM 157494

• Loc: Stuck in a Time Warp.

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:06 PM

Have you tried making friends with the furball? Passing it treats when you get close and AFTER it stops barking when you're around?

#4 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:22 PM

How long has the dog been there? If just recent, I would guess with some interaction from you, talking to him, petting, etc., he will become accustomed to you being out there & may just bark when you first appear, then quit after seeing it's you. Be thankful, at least it's in a fenced yard! :)

#5 mayidunk

mayidunk

Don't Ask...

• Moderators
  • Loc: Betwixt & Between...

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:22 PM

It looks to be a Shelty. My cousin had two of them, and all they ever did was bark, and yap! They're high strung little goobers, my condolences.

#6 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:52 PM

yes I made friends with it. all it wants to do is be next to me like I'm the pack leader, but its not my dog, I can't take it out of her backyard so all it does is bark bark bark!

#7 orion61

orion61

Aurora

• Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:57 PM

I agree get to know it AFTER A GETTING TO KNOW THE OWNER,
perhaps taking it for a walk or two.
They will both like you! I had a situation like that,
all it took was a phone call when I was going out.
I was thinking those were inside dogs? Cute little thig.
I feel your pain, but get ready for the story of her life,
possibly some yummy cookies.

#8 BigC

BigC

Gemini

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:00 PM

My sympathies!

If the widow neighbor doesn't know you well,she may think it suspicious a "grown man is outside at night with a telescope".

Anyway,in your case,try to work with the neighbors and hopefully you can make friends with the dog.

But if no relief happens,then I would use the laws about nuisance animals and file complaints unless you are willing to sacrifice your enjoyment just to get along with the neighbor.

MY barking dog story:
Closer to home,when I was a teenager living in the country and bought my first telescope ,ONE of our dogs just would not stop barking if I was outside at night! She was ok with my working at the barn,but outside in the dark?No way!! That dog was my mother's favorite and ,like the dog, my mother (nor my father)could not understand why I wanted to be outside in the dark;so nothing was done to curb the barking.Actually my parents laughed and said the dog had more sense:"she knows you should be inside at night".. Sometimes you can't fight "city hall"! So there was no star gazing until that dog died years later.(And no I didn't help it along.)

#9 tomcody

tomcody

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Titusville, Florida

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:28 PM

The dog needs to work off some energy everyday and an 80yr old owner probably can,t walk it. Ask the owner if you can walk the dog when you are able, you will be doing both of them a favor and geting some exercise for you too. After a good walk the dog should settle down.
Rex

#10 bigdob24

bigdob24

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central Illinois

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:35 PM

maybe he will chase a laser, kinda like a cat.
Run him around and wear him out , maybe he will just laydown and take a nap:-)
Talk with your neighbor and work something out.

#11 Meep_Esq

Meep_Esq

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dunedin, New Zealand

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:40 PM

Definitely talk to the owner and say "hello". I had a neighbor that had a bull terrier. One of my first nights out in the garden and this damn thing just about tore thru the hedge to get me - couldn't decide if it was quicker to clamber up the refractors tripod or race for the back door. Survived to observe another day >:-)

#12 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:00 PM

possibly some yummy cookies.

I was thinking if I could make the dog fat enough it wouldn't have the energy, well that's what happened to me. :lol:

#13 Bill Weir

Bill Weir

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Metchosin (Victoria), Canada

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:01 PM

The problem is the fence not the dog. Dogs bark at things on the other side of the fence. It's their job. If you wouldn't mind him/her hanging with you while you observe then go talk to the owner. I think this is an easy fix.

Shelties are awesome smart very sweet dogs. I've owned one and she was a lovely dog but yes she did like to bark. It's in their nature as they are herding dogs. Mine liked to herd my chickens around.

So like suggested go talk to the woman and see if you can get to know her dog better. This might be the beginning of a beautiful relationship.

Bill

#14 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:54 PM

So like suggested go talk to the woman and see if you can get to know her dog better.

I know her and the little @$##$ thing quite well.

Yes the fence seems to bother him. He's a boy dog, he likes to hang with the boys which is a sad thing for him to be with her.

and yes neighbor doesn't have the energy for this dog. I saw that a mile away. My wife and I were thinking if she wanted a companion animal she should've got a more low energy animal something that fit her energy levels.

I offered to walk her dog, I offered for my son to walk her dog. But she doesn't want that for whatever reason. Maybe she affraid something will happen.

I'll have to see what kind of cookies the dog likes. Oh my cassie your getting fat... :lol:

#15 DavidC

DavidC

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Mesa, Arizona

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:59 PM

As a last resort, try a squirt bottle with full strength ammonia, but that might get you in kahoots with your neighbor. A better option might be is to try dog treats and make friends with the dog. Sometimes you can make more friends with honey than with vinegar.
David

#16 BarbMoore

BarbMoore

Mariner 2

• Loc: South central New Mexico

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:16 PM

Dogs bark, that's their nature. Some people get dogs to warn them of someone outside their home. If the dog is barking when no one is around, call animal control. Most cities have ordinances against "excessive" barking.

#17 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:25 PM

try a squirt bottle with full strength ammonia,

Folks; let's not go down a path that could be considered cruelty to animals.

Perhaps she would be willing to keep the dog inside when you are observing.

#18 DarkDisplay

DarkDisplay

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:53 PM

Dogs need to be disciplined by their owners. Unfortunately, many people are too lazy to do that. I've had neighbors with dogs that barked continually day and night. My dogs never did that. They obeyed me.

Our city has an ordinance concerning barking dogs - a very hefty fine. I've never hesitated to take advantage of it. Barking at a cat, a meter reader or mail carrier is to be expected. However, to bark all the time...well, I take care of business. Whatever it takes.

Beat wishes,
Frank

#19 Meadeball

Meadeball

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Midlothian, Virginia

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:21 AM

I'm not sure where "Montclair" is, but we had a problem here in Richmond with a barking dog that was left outdoors all night when I was younger. This dog was outside barking at my brother and me when we were bundled up and observing in 20-degree weather one winter night. My dad called the police and they paid the owner a visit, telling them not only about neighbor complaints about a nuisance dog, but also that leaving the dog outside in subfreezing weather was enough for an animal cruelty charge (felony). The next night the dog was inside and it didn't bother us again ... well, until the weather warmed up in the spring, but the neighbor got pretty good about taking the dog inside if it started making a lot of racket.

My parents had a sheltie who died a couple of years ago. She was an AKC-registered purebred and won a lot of show awards. (My parents were retired and into that stuff.) Rosie was a sweet dog, but yeah, she liked to bark!

Meade

#20 Maverick199

Maverick199

Voyager 1

• Loc: India

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:40 AM

The problem is the fence not the dog. Dogs bark at things on the other side of the fence. It's their job. If you wouldn't mind him/her hanging with you while you observe then go talk to the owner. I think this is an easy fix.
Bill

Okay assuming this works and the dog sits next to him, wouldn't he start barking at someone over the next fence. :question:

#21 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:08 AM

the dog is doing it's job-barking at strangers and potential threats -protecting the homeland

make friends, as many above have suggested, both the dog and owner

the recent widow may be a scared of you as you are irritated at the dog
and remember, your rights end at the fence line

edj

#22 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:11 AM

worse comes to worse,
you could call the police on the barking dog,
she could call the police on the NH3 spray,
but I would not want to face an 80 yo recent widow in court

edj

#23 Qwickdraw

Qwickdraw

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Ann Arbor, MI

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:30 AM

If the widow is elderly purhaps she is also hard of hearing and may not even know the dog is barking. When you age you first lose the ability to hear high pitch sounds like a small dog barking.

#24 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NC

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:06 AM

Well you could try one of those dog barking machines..buy it maybe from a local pet store and try it out for a while. If it don't work, take it back and get your money back.

#25 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:12 AM

the dog is doing it's job-barking at strangers and potential threats -protecting the homeland

make friends, as many above have suggested, both the dog and owner

Well in this situation I am friends with the dog and the neighbor.

But I can ask her only so much or she'll get flustered and I don't want her to have a stroke.

She does come and take the dog inside. and I tell Cassie,"I told you, you were going to get in trouble" :grin:

but I'll be outside for an hour and then here comes that &$^*% Cassie again.

I just bought a high frequency thingy to see how it will work.

for people suggesting the police; if I did persue legal actions, I would be viewed by the other neighbors as such a JERK that I eventually would have to move.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics