• This topic is locked This topic is locked
132 replies to this topic

#51 derangedhermit

derangedhermit

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: USA

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:12 AM

I've been putting up with the dog across the back fence barking for 18 months. They bark constantly when I'm in the back yard. Actually there are two of the little things. I really like dogs. I tried to make friends. I gave them dog biscuits. They kept barking. I tried telling them to be quiet. No go. The last two weeks I have kept a garden hose attached to a spray nozzle and left the water on at the faucet. They bark, they get sprayed. If this fails, I'm calling the city to get them involved.

#52 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Aurora

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:43 AM

I guess there is a benefot in being deaf as a post. Whenever noises annoy me I just push the little mute button on my hearing aids . . . HUH? WHAT??

#53 FirstSight

FirstSight

Duke of Deneb

• Moderators
  • Loc: Raleigh, NC

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:01 AM

Have you tried wearing noise-cancelling headphones, possibly together with playing some observing-compatible music from e.g. an IPod? It might kill two birds with one stone in that: a) you'll be deaf as a post to the dogs; b) you other neighbors won't, and sooner or later those dogs continuously barking for 2,3, or even 4 hours during your observing sessions will induce one or more of them to complain to police about the dogs (and i.e. absolving you of being the one to call authorities against your neighbor).

#54 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

• Loc: nj

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:12 AM

I guess there is a benefot in being deaf as a post. Whenever noises annoy me I just push the little mute button on my hearing aids . . . HUH? WHAT??

Hey that would be good for someone else... :grin:

me "Honey, I going out."

her "you said YOU WOULD SPEND TIME WITH ME!!!"

me "Huh, what, did you say something? My battery must be dead." :roflmao:

#55 evil16v

evil16v

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: N.E. Kansas

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:44 AM

Here its comes --- idea/comment number 45,573 .... LOL!!

I understand not wanting to pester the poor old lady (especially with what she is going through).

I think any mischief/action against the dog will make the problem worse in several different ways, and is just wrong anyway.

I think small dogs are a real pain in the butt. I had a Chocolate lab that was pretty high strung in his early years, but was GREAT about not barking unless there was something going on that i needed to know about(or wanted to be with me). When he barked... I came and found out why.

I have a neighbor that has too many dogs and it really annoys me when i am out back tending to my smoker(i can't really observe in my backyard). I have other neighbors that have dealt with them, and kind of taken care of the problem for the most part. So they wore the black hat for me.

A solution for your particular situation? If you make your yard accessible to the pup, does that let him out (i.e. is your yard fenced in too?) If not, Just make an observing buddy out of the dog. I bet she wouldn't mind if you asked her nicely. Maybe not exactly what you want to do/should have have to do... but maybe the most peaceful/happy way to go about it. I think the dog would be quite at that point.

#56 BigC

BigC

Gemini

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:01 AM

Actually,it might be prudent to have the dog owner's permission before offering and food or treats. Being sued for making Cassie ill or dead ,even if the treat had nothing to do with the problem,would really ruin your day!

#57 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:19 AM

Actually,it might be prudent to have the dog owner's permission before offering and food or treats. Being sued for making Cassie ill or dead ,even if the treat had nothing to do with the problem,would really ruin your day!

:ubetcha: They could have health problems that others are not aware of.

#58 Daniel Guzas

Daniel Guzas

Viking 1

• Loc: Bethlehem NH/ Boston MA

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:08 PM

One possibility might be a privacy fence along that property line, if she / he cant see you ,he / she might loose interest in you. In the video you can see the dog running up and down the fence trying to keep you in line of sight.

That is a great idea! Is there some way you could afford some sort of privacy fence? Or will just the noise of you being our there start the barking? Judging from the size of the dog the fence does not have to be too high. But if you are going to do it. Might as well make it high enough so it can see you from across the yard.

#59 cheapersleeper

cheapersleeper

Gemini

• Loc: Sachse TX

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:26 PM

I have never noticed privacy fences having any effect on barking dogs. They can hear and smell and get a glimpse...that is plenty for them to bark at.

#60 MawkHawk

MawkHawk

Messenger

• Loc: SE Michigan, USA

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:39 PM

I would never pay hundreds of dollars to build a fence to shut up a dog belonging to someone else. It is the neighbor's responsibility to either keep the dog quiet or keep it indoors. If they don't then that's when you call the police. I've had to deal with barking dogs a few times in my life and each time it only ended when the police took care of it. People who allow their dogs to bark and disturb the entire neighborhood generally don't care what you think about it.

FWIW tho, that guy initially looked like he was happy to see you. I've noticed that dogs make that little whining noise when they want to see you. He prolly gets no attention from his owner...

#61 cheapersleeper

cheapersleeper

Gemini

• Loc: Sachse TX

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:42 PM

I guess there is a benefot in being deaf as a post. Whenever noises annoy me I just push the little muIte button on my hearing aids . . . HUH? WHAT??

Twenty bucks says I am deafer!! I too would tune out that dog.

Brad

#62 bremms

bremms

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: SC

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:27 PM

Go to her door and talk to her. Ask her to keep the dog in if it won't be quiet. If hat doesn't work, call the proper authorities. You have rights. Just because someone has a dog that doesn't mean they can let the dog bark all the time or *BLEEP* in everybody's yard. What is up with all these crazy answers? Go talk to her... if that doesn't solve the problem. Take more action. You DO NOT have to put up with that.

#63 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:43 PM

True, put the problem where it lies, with the owner of the dog. YOU and your telescope are not the problem; her letting her dog bark incessently is....Also, I don't blame the dog; he will only do what he was taught/allowed to do...

#64 Qwickdraw

Qwickdraw

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Ann Arbor, MI

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:44 PM

That garbage can next to the lil yapper looks very convenient.

#65 tecmage

tecmage

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: Glenview, IL

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:19 PM

And what would you do with that can- that could be described within the bounds of CN's Terms of Service?

Hey folks, doing anything to a neighbor's pet or property is inviting trouble. While it might be inconvenient, I think working with the neighbor is the best way of dealing with the problem. Cesar Milan (the Dog Whisperer) has some good books and videos for training a dog.

#66 5u4

5u4

Vostok 1

• Loc: FL

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:07 PM

I've had my share of neighbor's barking dogs, porch lights that stay on all night, kids traipsing through my yard, etc. to the point that my house was no longer a home. I wouldn't call the police, all that does is now you're on record as a complainer & they will use that against you. The last thing I'd do is waste all your spare time thinking of ways to kiss the neighbors behind & expect results, never worked for me anyway. Do what I did, save some money & look for a place in the country as far away from neighbors as you can afford.

#67 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:15 PM

There's some true wisdom there 5u4.

Only problem is then they try to tell you you're too old to be living out there alone like that....little knowing it's really a very peaceful life.

#68 5u4

5u4

Vostok 1

• Loc: FL

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:00 PM

Much more peaceful in the country. Still have barking dogs, but they're far enough away that it doesn't matter & kids running around on 4 wheeler's, but at least they're not right next door & there's a black bear that growls all the time, never seen him, but he's there. Yeah, been there done that with barking dogs, porch lights & unruly kids. I have a fix for the barking dog, but not going to go there on this forum. Porch lights on all night, well good luck to you & unruly kids, what happens is they pay you back.

#69 orion61

orion61

Aurora

• Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:40 PM

The reason dogs keep barking is because of the protective nature but as the Post Man comes they start barking, the Postman goes to the next house, so the dog thinks it has won! bad person has been chased away! Reinforces the barking.
But Sometimes old people can be well, just plain MEAN!
I had a dog issue when I worked Nights, my neighbor would put out the dog before going to work and leave it.
It barked all! day! long!
A note in the mailbox stating I'd rather let her deal with the issue than the Police, took care of the matter.

#70 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

• Loc: nj

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:49 PM

FWIW tho, that guy initially looked like he was happy to see you. I've noticed that dogs make that little whining noise when they want to see you. He prolly gets no attention from his owner...

yep. and yep.

he wants to hang with the guys, but his mom won't let him.

Too bad Cassie, now stop annoying me! go annoy your mom! :lol:

#71 izar187

izar187

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: 43N

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:22 AM

Much more peaceful in the country.

Absolutely!
I will add though that it isn't necessary to move to the country to observe under rural sky. Time spent finding nearby, quiet, open, anything darker(simply without blazing security lighting mere feet away) is some of the best time investment there is. Neighbors dogs are just a part of the total load of intrusive garbage that compelled me to observe elsewhere. It is one of the best astro decisions I made. For me. Solved a ton of frustrations, and greatly increased what I see.

For the original poster, the privacy fence option sounded like winner to me. Until folks mentioned that it may not help. If you say, open a gate between the yards so the dog can be with you observing, then you will get to clean up after the dog...

#72 planet earth

planet earth

Surveyor 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Canada 43*N 80* W

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:01 AM

This whole doggy problem resulted because you never marked your territory at the fence line on a routine basis. :lol:
Sam

#73 Qwickdraw

Qwickdraw

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Ann Arbor, MI

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:02 AM

And what would you do with that can- that could be described within the bounds of CN's Terms of Service?

Obviously picking up trash around the yard comes to mind.

#74 MawkHawk

MawkHawk

Messenger

• Loc: SE Michigan, USA

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:49 AM

I've called the police before about a neighbor's dog and asked to remain anonymous. They obliged me and ticketed the neighbor. They won't rat you out if you ask them not to.

#75 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

• Loc: Canada

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:37 AM

"I know her and the little @$##$ thing quite well"

Part of the reason it barks more. Dogs can sense hatred, it's letting you know it doesn't understand you're hatred, it's why he's barking at you....He's actually trying to understand you; if you have ever really been around animals, you would understand him.....any dog or cat owner knows what I'm talking about.

Hogwash. Some dogs bark more than others. It has nothing to do with the dog sensing "hatred". Did you even watch the video Pinbout did? he's petting the dog :lol: I go to my better half's in laws for dinners and they always have relatives who bring this little black poodle along. It constantly yaps all of the time even when anybody pets it, including myself. The other dogs that are there do not yap like it does, so this also proves you are incorrect. Some dogs bark more than others.

One possibility might be a privacy fence along that property line, if she / he cant see you ,he / she might loose interest in you. In the video you can see the dog running up and down the fence trying to keep you in line of sight.

This would do nothing, LOL! Animals have really good hearing and can sense things in their surroundings....and in a wider sense than humans have. The dog would hear him even if the fence was completely solid and the dog couldn't see him.

I agree with Pinbout, I love "some" animals, (The non-aggressive type), but this would drive me crazy. I would take action right away, (harmless action of course), to stop this because by law, people are entitled to peace on their own property, even if it means a noise by-law of some sort. I'm not a lawyer or have experience on this type of noise by-law, so I won't even start making suggestions.

Google it and see what you come up with, or call the police and ask what can be done.

Cheers,

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics