Neighbor's Annoying Dog

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
132 replies to this topic

#76 BigC

BigC

Gemini

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:41 PM

As I stated before,the dog OWNER is entirely the problem;she is treating the dog like an animate burglar alarm NOT as a living social animal that needs love and attention.The widow has the wrong dog for the wrong reasons;and probably shouldn't have any dog at all. If one hasn't had dogs or cats for most of one's life it probably means one has no idea how to deal with a pet at age 80.

DON'T build a fence or other useless gestures.As other posters advise ,talk to the widow and maybe her daughters, and make it clear that you wish to remain a friendly neighbor but that you expect to go about your hobby in your yard at your convenience ,and you will call the authorites if the dog owner can't stop the annoyance.

Don't worry about being put on a complainer list;if no one complained the inconsiderate would get away with their bad behavior all the time.I had a neighbor in town who decided he was going to remove all the trees and shrubs on our mutual property line -actually in our yard!I told him no way and insisted on having the line surveyed,then caught him trying to move the stake.On being informed he could go to jail for tampering with survey markers he desisted.Then he put up obnoxiously bright floodlights .Thankfully he moved within a year after becoming known to all around as a bad neighbor.(Loud domestic arguments included).Push back against those who invade.

#77 mich_al

mich_al

Vanguard

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:58 PM

... or call the police and ask what can be done.

Better yet contact the local township office and see what the noise ordinances are. Get a copy. In my case, 2 separate responding officers where not knowledgeable about local ordinances AND actually gave me wrong information. Later, with a copy of the ordinaces in hand that I provided, the ordinance was enforced.

Al

#78 BarbMoore

BarbMoore

Mariner 2

• Loc: South central New Mexico

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:38 PM

Spraying the dog with water or any substance will only get you in trouble with the law.

#79 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

• Loc: Canada

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:29 PM

Water? Water won't harm the dog as long as the spraying device is not powerful as to harm it. That actually might make the dog more aggressive if you do that though, :lol:

Or, it might like the water and want to play !!! LOL !

#80 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:02 PM

Like I said earlier--PUT THE PROBLEM WHERE IT LIES, with the owner of the dog...the barking dog is hers to correct; or if she doesn't, the city/county's to remove. Barking is a nuisance, but the dog has to be taught not to bark, if the owner isn't up to it, they shouldn't have a dog...maybe recommend a cat.

#81 panhard

panhard

It's All Good

• Moderators
  • Loc: Markham Ontario Canada

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:26 PM

My cousin had two of them, and all they ever did was bark, and yap! They're high strung little goobers, my condolences.

My sister has 4 of them I guess she is a brute for punishment. All it take is for 1 to bark and the rest chime in.

#82 hm insulators

hm insulators

Aurora

• -----

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:23 PM

It looks to be a Shelty. My cousin had two of them, and all they ever did was bark, and yap! They're high strung little goobers, my condolences.

My brother used to have a Sheltie; her name was Lady, and gad! She was the most hyper dog I'd ever known! I don't think she ever slept; preferring to run around the yard at top speed, and above all, she barked! And she barked, and she barked, and she barked and barked and barked and barked, and then she would proceed to bark some more. My brother tried every possible remedy to shut that dog up, none of which worked, and he finally had to take her to the vet to be "debarked," after which Lady always sounded like she was choking on something.

#83 hm insulators

hm insulators

Aurora

• -----

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:33 PM

The dog needs to work off some energy everyday and an 80yr old owner probably can,t walk it. Ask the owner if you can walk the dog when you are able, you will be doing both of them a favor and geting some exercise for you too. After a good walk the dog should settle down.
Rex

Shelties are very high-strung, high-energy dogs; they were originally bred for herding sheep and the like, so it's in their nature to be very active and bark a lot. That lady's daughters obviously didn't do their homework; a mellower dog, perhaps even a carefully-chosen mutt from the pound, would've been far better and easier for an 80-year-old woman to take care of.

#84 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:43 PM

Then throw a rabbit over the fence and watch.....(God knows there's no shortage of rabbits in Denver).....

#85 Meadeball

Meadeball

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Midlothian, Virginia

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:51 PM

Or a large, venemous snake ...

JUST KIDDING! :rofl2:

#86 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

• Loc: nj

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:52 PM

Then throw a rabbit over the fence and watch.....(

We get deer, haven't seen him case them.

but here's the update.

this so cute dog must be bothering my heighbor so much that when he's out there carrying on, she'll come and make him go in but 10min's later he's back out carrying on. Like she can't take his carrying on inside.

I think since she's not active enough for the dog, he's developing neurotic behaivors and it is getting worse.

#87 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:12 PM

I've read this whole thread, and I feel lucky.
I have a pug that has a Sioux name, "Barks at TV". Before I got the pug, I had NO idea how many animals appeared in ads and TV shows. NOW I know. I've learned to mute the TV during all ads--especially for pet food. She barked through the entirety of "We Bought A Zoo".
But during the night the only sound ever coming from this dog is snoring--loud and intense, with a little whimper at the end of each snore. It kept me awake for a couple months; now I just sleep through it.
And if I'm outside observing, I can look in through the window and see the dog in its bed, fast asleep. This dog gets two long walks every day, so it sacks out early in the evening, dead tired.
Dogs are like humans--they sleep very soundly if they get a lot of exercise. Sounds like this dog doesn't get any exercise.
It's the reason why older people should have cats, not dogs: they don't need to be walked, sleep 20+ hours per day, and DEFINITELY don't bark. :grin:

#88 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:12 PM

Basicly; if you don't want to check with the authorities on whether there is a noise ordinance, & have them contact her; not much left to suggest. :shrug:

#89 ThreeD

ThreeD

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Sacramento suburbs

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:17 PM

Google for "sheltie bark"...

The first hit is a You-tube video of a sheltie going crazy simultaneously running, spinning, barking.

Bingo!! The second search result. You might want to show this to your neighbor and ask she minds if you become a "calm-assertive alpha figure".

#90 star drop

star drop

contra contrail

• Moderators
  • Loc: Snow Plop, WNY

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:29 AM

Put your neighbor out on a leash at the same time.

#91 Meadeball

Meadeball

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Midlothian, Virginia

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:14 PM

You could always do what Jim Carrey does in "Me, Myself and Irene" in response to his neighbor constantly stealing his morning newspaper so she can read it while sitting on the toilet in the morning. I will not expound upon it here; you must watch the movie.

#92 orion61

orion61

Aurora

• Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:17 PM

Get your own dog to keep hers busy!

#93 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:28 AM

and name it Cujo....

#94 okieav8r

okieav8r

I'd rather be flying!

• Administrators
  • Loc: Oklahoma!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:02 AM

I have the same issue with my neighbor's dog. The stupid thing sits in the yard all day and just barks to hear itself bark--constantly. Oh, the dog is friendly enough. If I go into the back yard, it will stand at the fence and bark at me as if it wants to tear my head off. But when I go to the fence to pet it, it climbs up and wants to get all lovey and have its ears scratched. But as soon as you walk away, the barking immediately starts again. I finally got the neighbors to take it in at night. I told them that if they didn't do something, I was going to be doing a lot more late night woodworking.

I'm looking forward to a move to the country in the next year or so.

#95 BigC

BigC

Gemini

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:05 PM

The dogs are starved for attention and affection.Dogs are social animals and a dog by itself is very lonely .

Chances are the barking dog really is saying "wanna play,wanna play!"

Since the owners don't give the dogs attention the dogs bark.

Roll up a newspaper and go whack the......OWNERS until they behave better! :grin:

#96 Kfrank

Kfrank

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Colorado

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:34 PM

The dogs are starved for attention and affection.Dogs are social animals and a dog by itself is very lonely .

Chances are the barking dog really is saying "wanna play,wanna play!"

Since the owners don't give the dogs attention the dogs bark.

Roll up a newspaper and go whack the......OWNERS until they behave better! :grin:

Folks, let's not forget that the owner of the dog in question here is an elderly woman in her 80's who recently lost her husband and whose daughter got her the dog for companionship. Personally, I'd say the poor woman has enough problems - this dog may be a major factor in keeping her happy and comforted.

The dog may be annoying to the OP but it also may be a lifeline to the new widow. A little compassion here could go a long way.

#97 rdandrea

rdandrea

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Colorado, USA DM59ra

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:54 PM

The dog may be annoying to the OP but it also may be a lifeline to the new widow. A little compassion here could go a long way.

Where's the "Like" button?

#98 jturie

jturie

Vostok 1

• Loc: Valley Forge, PA

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:18 PM

Out of curiosity, does the dog bark its fool head off whenever it is outside, even when you are not out observing? If not, the dog is just reacting to a potential threat (probably a genetic thing, like it thinks you're a wolf or something).

In any event, a dog like that should be put outside to do its business and nothing more. Just leaving it outside because it's driving the owner nuts is wrong. Tough situation. The daughter should be buried up to her neck in an anthill for convincing an 80-year old to take on the stressful responsibility of a new dog.

#99 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Aurora

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:03 PM

Just a slightly different thought -- how about on a clear weekend night when the daughter is visiting, set up your scope and go over and knock on the door and invite them out to see the moon, Jupiter and a few other things? If the dog is yapping away at the time mention "oh yes that dog always helps me find things by barking." Might be a gentle way to deliver the message and also earn their goodwill.

#100 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

• Loc: nj

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:08 PM

Well thank the lord on high for showing compassion to me, cassie was inside last night while I was observing jupiter so close to the moon.

It was sOOooo nice to see both jupiter and the moon in the same eyepiece - in peace and quiet.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics