Generator instead of Batteries

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Rob E

Rob E

Village......clown

• Loc: Where Independence Was Won

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:02 PM

I'm considering trying to get a small portable generator for use in the field.. Who else has already gone down this path and what were your experiences?

Looking at the smaller Honeywell, Yamaha, Generac or Honda products.. I'd like some recommendations.

My requirements are simply to run a mount or two and dew management. I'd really like a low noise unit to minimize disturbing others..

Your experiences please???

#2 starrancher

starrancher

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Northern Arizona

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:21 PM

I'm considering trying to get a small portable generator for use in the field.. Who else has already gone down this path and what were your experiences?

Looking at the smaller Honeywell, Yamaha, Generac or Honda products.. I'd like some recommendations.

My requirements are simply to run a mount or two and dew management. I'd really like a low noise unit to minimize disturbing others..

Your experiences please???

IMHO , the use of a generator in a private setting is all fine and dandy but in a star party setting , even a low noise unit would be a desturbance and therefor inconsiderate to others aside from the exhaust fumes being emitted .

#3 kfiscus

kfiscus

Vanguard

• Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:12 PM

I would think you'd have an extreme excess of power.

#4 Charlie B

Charlie B

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sterling, Virginia

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:21 PM

Most star parties do not allow generators run at night. Some don't allow generators at all. I have a very quiet Honda 1KW, which I use to charge batteries during the day, when allowed.

Regards,

Charlie B

#5 bardo

bardo

Viking 1

• Loc: US

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:33 AM

It would be like hauling an 8" dob with an eighteen wheeler.

#6 omahaastro

omahaastro

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Omaha, NE

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:53 AM

I use a Honda EU2000 all the time when I'm not at star parties... allows me to run a space heater in the trailer, along with powering everything else... it's almost like having a 15 amp wall outlet in the field.

#7 Rob E

Rob E

Village......clown

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:11 AM

I use a Honda EU2000 all the time when I'm not at star parties... allows me to run a space heater in the trailer, along with powering everything else... it's almost like having a 15 amp wall outlet in the field.

That's one of the models I'm looking at. My intent is to put it a small distance away and supply outlets for a few people.

#8 Rob E

Rob E

Village......clown

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:13 AM

So it balances out since I used to haul my 16 in a MINI Cooper. :)

#9 edwincjones

edwincjones

Close Enough

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:15 AM

would work, in private, if noise and fumes not an issue for you,
but it seems like overkill, both power and cost

edj

If I used one, I would want to place it off and down wind,
and have a radio to drown out the noise

I have a Honda 2000 and not real loud, but noticeable

#10 tomharri

tomharri

Messenger

• Loc: along the I-10 corridor

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:18 AM

Get yourself a Honda, very quiet BUT you still have the exhaust stink. Kinda like those motorcycles with the under seat exhausts, you get wrapped up in exhaust fumes.

#11 Jarad

Jarad

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Atlanta, GA

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:07 AM

There was a long thread about generators and solar panels here that you may want to look over.

Jarad

#12 omahaastro

omahaastro

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Omaha, NE

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:25 AM

I've found that a long extension cord solves fume issue.

#13 Don Trinko

Don Trinko

Vanguard

• Loc: Ohio

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:02 AM

as above: overkill unless you want to run a lot of stuff.
All IMO; Don T.

#14 Charlie B

Charlie B

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:27 AM

It's still handy to have. I carry 3 batteries: 1) 110 aH deep cycle that handles my mount and dew heaters, 2) a 17 aH battery for my laptop and 3) a 17 aH spare to star parties. After a long night, charging takes hours. It saves me from having to carry all the batteries to a charging station and waiting for a free outlet.

BTW the generator is the Honda EU1000 and is rated as the quietest on the market. I use a 25 foot power cable to keep the generator at a distance when running, and at that distance, the sound is hardly heard.

Also, when I lost power for 3 days after a storm, this generator powered 2 refridgators in 100+ temps. I lost no food.

Regards,

Charlie B

#15 Phil Sherman

Phil Sherman

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:15 PM

The Honda generators are the quietest, easiest to start, and the most expensive in their class. One problem with almost all small generators is the need to carry cans of gasoline around. Sams Club sells one for less than half the cost of a Honda that runs on propane. This one has much less smell than a gasoline powered one and propane can be stored for long periods of time without going bad.

Harbor Freight has an 800W two cycle (50:1 gas/oil mix) that's currently available for less than $100. Lots more pollution than straight gasoline and now you need to carry mixed fuel that also goes bad with age.

There's at least two other 2kw generators similar to the Honda available from different vendors. Both cost lost less than the Honda but, like most things today, you get what you pay for. Make sure you check reviews before making any purchase.

Phil

#16 Rob E

Rob E

Village......clown

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:36 PM

Definitely..

#17 Charlie B

Charlie B

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:27 PM

The Honda generators are the quietest, easiest to start, and the most expensive in their class. One problem with almost all small generators is the need to carry cans of gasoline around. Sams Club sells one for less than half the cost of a Honda that runs on propane. This one has much less smell than a gasoline powered one and propane can be stored for long periods of time without going bad.

Yes, but.. The propane generator weighs 105 lbs and is 10 times noiser (68 dB vice 57 dB). You also have to carry propane (about 2 hours of running per lb of propane).

The honda is small and portable (I can carry it easily with one hand) and runs for a very long time (10-16 hours) on a gallon of gas.

Regards,
Charlie

#18 stmguy

stmguy

Ranger 4

• Loc: Western NH

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:34 AM

You might look at the Lifan invertor generators, we bought one for the boat and are very happy with it. It is quiet and half the cost of the Honda's
Norm

#19 ahopp

ahopp

Messenger

• -----

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:46 PM

I have the Honda EU3000is, it runs my mobile observatory. Absolutely the best...

Tony

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics