AL Lunar Program

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Ain Soph Aur

Ain Soph Aur

Viking 1

• Loc: West Tennessee

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:24 PM

I've casually looked at the Moon through telescopes for the past 40 years or so, but never in a systematic manner. I've recently started working my way through the Astronomical League Lunar Program observing list and am amazed how much I have learned to navigate my way over the Moon in just a week. Learning and becoming familiar with the names of the various terrain features really takes the entire viewing experience to another level.

Working through the AL list has been so enjoyable that I've decided to start working on the Lunar II Program after I finish this one. That one will be a bit more intimidating with the sketching and all, but it will undoubtedly teach me how to really concentrate on viewing the Moon in detail.

So far this Lunation, my favorite targets have been Mons Pico, Mons Piton and most especially Rupes Recta. The view of Rupes Recta last night was awesome! The toughest object so far has been the tiny Herschel J crater that I viewed this evening with the SPI 60mm f/20. It's been partly cloudy here all afternoon, but there was enough breaks in the clouds this evening to quickly set up the 60mm refractor and binoculars and check off another handful of targets.

I highly recommend the AL Lunar Program for anyone else who, like me, has never taken the time to study the Lunar landscape.

#2 thomas68

thomas68

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: North west Indiana

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:47 AM

Thanks Brandon,I'll check it out.

Tom

#3 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators
  • Loc: Trussville, AL

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:36 PM

It is a great program, and the Lunar II program is even better. You will learn the Moon very well with those two programs.

#4 Staredge

Staredge

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Germantown, MD

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:52 AM

I've got the naked eye done and a good chunk of the binocular portion. The best part of what I'm missing I think I'll need the scope for. I've really enjoyed it. I have a couple of other observing plans that are a little different that I may do as well. Lunar II looked a bit intense, but I may end up doing that one eventually.

#5 Ain Soph Aur

Ain Soph Aur

Viking 1

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:48 PM

Great, Will! I finished the binocular and telescope Lunar Program observations last week, all I have left are the first four naked eye observations to complete in the days around the new Moon next week, clouds permitting. This will be the first AL program that I have completed, and enjoyed it so much that I will commence with Lunar II.

#6 cphk96

cphk96

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Hollywood, CA

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:14 PM

I just got done printing the observing list for the Lunar I session.

I cannot wait to get started, but it has been raining for the last few days. :(

#7 Ain Soph Aur

Ain Soph Aur

Viking 1

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:03 PM

If you're an experienced Lunar observer, then you may find Lunar I program to be rote. If a newbie like me, you should likely find it very enjoyable. As I mentioned at the beginning of this thread, I have taken casual views of the moon for decades but never took the time or effort to view in detail and actually learn the topography.

Now that I have taken that time thanks to this observing program, I am finding the the Moon is an amazing object. The more I learn the more I want to view, and am looking forward to starting Lunar II program and expand my knowledge (and observing skills) further. The sketching requirement bits of the program are a bit intimidating, but... I bought a tin of sketching pencils. :D

One cool thing is that it is an object for all optics and nights when the sky isn't so great for fainter objects, from binoculars to my 60mm /f20 refractor that I can just walk outside at a momemts notice to my 4" f/13 that I have to mount on the CGEM DX and then the 8" SCT if I am looking for some tiny objects. It is all fantastic. I am really looking forward to a binocular viewer early next year!

#8 Staredge

Staredge

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:43 PM

A lot of the Lunar 100 over on S&T's site right now is on the Lunar I. Not everything though. I have this printed off:
http://www.eastvalle...-pdf/OTL100.pdf

Don't know if I'll redo everything or not. Maybe. Seeing them at different phases could be interesting.

This one I like for the selenography lesson included.

http://www.moonsocie...rg/certificate/

Haven't looked to see how much overlap there is.

#9 magic612

magic612

Soyuz

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:36 AM

This is a great reminder for me that the AL has these programs, and being an AL member myself, I really need to remember that I should utilize them more often.

#10 Staredge

Staredge

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:33 PM

http://www.rasc.ca/o...ing-certificate

.....and one more. This one is heavy duty. The pdf says members only, but it will load.

#11 Ain Soph Aur

Ain Soph Aur

Viking 1

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:00 PM

I was up at 6:30 AM this morning to catch both 'New Moon in Old Moon's Arms' and 'Crescent Moon, Waning' naked eye objectives.

As long as the weather cooperates, I should be able to finish up with 'Old Moon in New Moon's Arms' and 'Crescent Moon, Waxing' this weekend and submit the log to AL. :yay:

#12 Staredge

Staredge

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:46 PM

I need to dig mine out. My semester is over now, so maybe I can get a little bit of time outside. My problem is I hate sitting in the cold!!!!

(hate getting up early, too!!!!)

#13 tecmage

tecmage

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: Glenview, IL

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:12 PM

New Lunar cycle, it's a good time to start!!!

#14 Staredge

Staredge

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:33 PM

I've had *BLEEP* weather all week. The one or two decent nights I've had I've had other stuff going on.

#15 Ain Soph Aur

Ain Soph Aur

Viking 1

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:19 AM

Don't feel too bad, all I need is 'Old Moon in New Moon's Arms' and 'Crescent Moon, Waxing' naked eye observations which I have seen tons of times but didn't log. I figured the the binocular and scope observations were tougher, then I was clouded out. Now I have a 3+ weeks to complete the program, depending on weather. Lunar I could take months to finish depending on he clouds.

I'm hoping when I finish the Brandon EP set that I will have a decent lunation. The new EP curse is killing me right now. Skies are clear here tonight but 15+ mph wind is keeping me inside.

#16 Ain Soph Aur

Ain Soph Aur

Viking 1

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:25 PM

The weather finally cooperated and I was able to log 'Old Moon in New Moon's Arms' and 'Crescent Moon, Waxing' Monday evening. I had also lacked the crater Endymion binocular observation, but the skies cleared enough this evening allowing me to finish the Lunar I program!

#17 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators
  • Loc: Trussville, AL

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:15 PM

The weather finally cooperated and I was able to log 'Old Moon in New Moon's Arms' and 'Crescent Moon, Waxing' Monday evening. I had also lacked the crater Endymion binocular observation, but the skies cleared enough this evening allowing me to finish the Lunar I program!

Congrats!

#18 Dave Chapman

Dave Chapman

Mariner 2

• Loc: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:07 PM

http://www.rasc.ca/o...ing-certificate

.....and one more. This one is heavy duty. The pdf says members only, but it will load.

The certificate and pin are only available to RASC members who complete the objectives. It is a good program, strongly linked to Rukl's atlas, and takes a little discipline to finish, but is very rewarding.

Dave

#19 Ain Soph Aur

Ain Soph Aur

Viking 1

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:54 AM

The certificate and pin are only available to RASC members who complete the objectives. It is a good program, strongly linked to Rukl's atlas, and takes a little discipline to finish, but is very rewarding.

Dave

Hi Dave. That does look like a very interesting program. I am thinking about joining the RASC next month. On the web site I only see certificates mentioned, but do see images of pins.

Do you know if one is required to be a member of the RASC before they commence working on a certificate program?

#20 Dave Chapman

Dave Chapman

Mariner 2

• Loc: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:32 PM

Hi Brandon

I believe it would suffice to be a member at the time of application. Welcome to the RASC!

Dave

#21 Ain Soph Aur

Ain Soph Aur

Viking 1

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:01 PM

Thanks, Dave! I am trying to spread out my astro club memberships out, RASC next month.

I did make a nice start on the AL Lunar II program: Mare Australe, Mare Spumans, Mare Humboltianum, Mare Undarum, Mare Marginis and Mare Smythii logged last night with a favorable libration.

#22 Ain Soph Aur

Ain Soph Aur

Viking 1

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:42 PM

A nice surprise awaited me in todays mail: an Astronomical League Lunar Program Certificate (#815) and the Lunar Program lapel pin!

#23 Staredge

Staredge

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 26 March 2013 - 09:13 PM

Congrats!!!! Pics??

I've been so bloody busy with school and work that I haven't gotten to do much more than glance up at the sky. Haven't seen PanStarrs.......did get to see the big east coast meteor the other night though. Sigh. Can't wait for summer.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics