• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 frogwise

frogwise

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:56 AM

Hey everyone.

First time poster here. I live in Vancouver Canada, and I recently purchased a EQ 3 Skywatcher package with the 80 ED scope. I'm a Nikon photographer and have the new D600.

I'm planning to do some astro photography of deep sky objects, but have a few questions, and am looking for tips. I'm wondering if anyone has a similar setup - refractor plus a full frame Nikon camera.

Are field flatteners/coma correctors worth getting? If so, which brand?

Do you guys have any problems with vignetting, even using 2 inch adapters? Do you use extension tubes?

Any recommendations on which t-adapters to use to make sure they dont vignette the full frame sensor?

What is a good light pollution filter to use with DSLR cameras? Particularly for deep sky objects like Andromeda and nebulas.

I had more questions but can't remember right now. Excited for the first clear night since I got my scope and mount last week! Hopefully I can get everything I need and get setup before then!

#2 mmalik

mmalik

DSLR camera modifications

• Vendors
  • Loc: USA

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:31 AM

Are field flatteners/coma correctors worth getting? If so, which brand?

Do you guys have any problems with vignetting, even using 2 inch adapters? Do you use extension tubes?

Any recommendations on which t-adapters to use to make sure they don’t vignette the full frame sensor?

What is a good light pollution filter to use with DSLR cameras? Particularly for deep sky objects like Andromeda and nebulas.

I use Canon 60Da so my answers are based on this setup:

-For the start, try without any FFs/CCs
-I don’t get vignetting with 2” adapter; although flats are best to get a flat field. Extension tubes are only needed if you can’t attain focus; first try/test without.
-I use this... adapter/T-ring combo for Canon; see if there is one for Nikon from the same manufacturer.
-I use IDAS LPS-P2-48...; pic is attached of complete setup.

Attached Files

#3 Toxic Coolaid

Toxic Coolaid

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: NorthEast Tennessee

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:49 AM

I use the Celestron .85X FF and use it all the time. It's a great addition to change the FOV when you want. No extension tube needed. FF threads directly on to the Sky-Watcher, T-ring directly onto FF. Focus is nearing the full extention of the focusing range but no problems with clip filters or no filters. I and using Canon EOS cameras so they are crop sensors. I hope this helps. And welcome to Cloudy Nights! :jump:

80ED wiht no FF stack and processing

Posted Image

80ED with .85x FF single 60 sec frame almost no processing

Posted Image

#4 frogwise

frogwise

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:51 AM

Nice thanks for that info. The 60da is a crop sensor, so I bet you don't get much vignetting from a 2 inch adapter. Is that a lens on your camera or just a 2 inch tube to slide into your scope? So I guess you just screw the 48mm thread of that filter onto it and slide it into your scope?

I'm thinking of getting that filter as you're not the only person that I've heard recommending it.

#5 mmalik

mmalik

DSLR camera modifications

• Vendors
  • Loc: USA

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:58 AM

Is that a lens on your camera or just a 2 inch tube to slide into your scope? [Just the 2 inch tube]

So I guess you just screw the 48mm thread of that filter onto it and slide it into your scope? [Yes]

Larger pic here...

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics