Jupiter 22 Nov 2012

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:19 AM

Well, back at it and another first observing Jupiter. The South temperate and tropical regions have always looked white to me. That is, until a white streak along the STrB was seen. If they streak is white, then the rest of the zone should be off white. Indeed it is. I am not sure of the extent of that white streak, but it is present to some degree.

While we're in that area, something keeps tickling the retina down there in that vast grey zone. At first, I thought it might have been some elusive white ovals. But, they are further north. I really cannot make out what it is, just something ill defined and barely, vaguely peeking into view. It appeared to be set off by a very faint belt that I saw, or thought I saw, only a few times. Wanna explore that region some more.

Probably the most striking feature is in the EQ zone. Really, it almost looked like a festoon blowing the wrong way. At other times, there seemed to be two branches stemming from that festoon on the meridian into the EQ belt.

The NED was bordered by plenty of deep blue festoons. It was punctured by a fairly prominent rift and by some weaker albedo toward the trailing limb.

Actually, the NTB was the most beautiful as I have seen it in a while. A very thin wavy line topped it off near the preceding limb. Those gave way to what looked like broader, more bold features. There may have been a hint of a belt in the NNTB. Still, no NPR visible, but some definite SPR was evident.

Also there is a little something going on along the southern edge of the SEB near the preceding limb. I think I had seen that feature before, along with Michael, but it looked to be a bit different this time.

Jupiter near the Zenith on 22 Nov at 1500UT. Ant II. Sys I 53, II 99.

Oh, this night I spent most of the observation at 40x/in (240x) using 8MM TMB II, no Barlow, no filter. The rest of the observation at 170x with UO 10mm Ortho and 2x Barlow. The image was a bit soft at this higher magnification. However, most of what could be seen at 170x was still there.

Welp, posting and crossing my fingers it's at least partly accurate. I went as deep as I could go last night. I did not de-saturate the colors. They were a bit more vivid last night, so I left them alone.

Cheers, and a belated Happy Thanksgiving for those who celebrated the holiday.

Attached Files

#2 Chopin

Chopin

Canis Insanus

• Loc: In the doghouse.

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:56 AM

I am again in awe of your color perception, Norme. I suppose some of that may come with repeated sessions, and a better understanding of the Jovian surface. Nonetheless, your skills are inspiring. Good work picking up a the slight white banding in the SPR. I can't say that the low surface features of the SPR are resolvable to me in my 110mm and novice eyes.

#3 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:10 AM

Jason, thank you so much. I am proud of this one. Took more time to get the sketch just right (trying to keep up with Andre. :) )

But, absolutely, it all began with realizing Jupiter is not as bland, color wise, as it seems at first glance. Once those tawny hues became apparent, so did the whites and the grays become more apparent. That simple revelation changed everything so much.

I am almost afraid to post sometimes. But, you know, size and contrast wise, there is nothing there that cannot be seen in a 150 under excellent conditions, cooled, and perfectly collimated...and a passion and persistence to observe. I do try to be honest. If it only hints at being there, I try to make that clear. Some things are not that easy to see, they just don't jump onto the sketch. :lol:

Well, thank you again, Jason. I praise the conditions here often. You can understand why.

Scope is cooling, Jupiter awaits.

#4 Ed D

Ed D

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Sunny South Florida

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:27 AM

Another very nice sketch, especially the colors you are able to see. It's interesting comparing my sketch to yours and seeing the similarities in what we observe, and yet at the same time how subtly different they can be.

Ed D

#5 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:32 AM

I see you have that polar zone in the south! I was tempted to border it with a slight darkening or indications of a belt but I think that would've been a little indulgent as I'm guessing the darkening is probably a contrast effect. Too I'm with you on the north edge of the NTB being darker than its southern edge and uneven. In the same token the dark edge was looking like it was bordering a whiter edge. Your attention micro details is truly terrific. I'm still amazed at your picking off the white spots. I need better than the seeing I've had tho not bad lately it wasn't enough I guess. That's great work Norme with details I'm still pouring over. Hats off to the hardest working make observer I know!

Pete

#6 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:28 PM

Ed, sometimes it's scary posting a sketch for fear of getting it wrong. So, it's nice to see others doing it right.

Yea, Pete, that SPR did have a hint of some kind of belt, so it got included. Not sure if one exists or not, but it would be interesting to check. What's more, I can barely see it in great seeing, you hinted at it in 7/10 if I remember correctly. In 7/10, I doubt I would even suspect it was there.

Well, when you say white spots, I hope you don;t mean ones in the south temperate regions. Those still elude me. I suspect one once in a while, but never really nailed one this season (got one last year.) But, the white features in the NEB and SEB, oh yes, all over the place.

There is a whiter edge on the NTB, I have yet to see it. That you did speaks to your experience along with some aperture. Surly that's a tough feature.

#7 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:36 PM

Norme you got the polar zone strip thing well placed. Its not easy but its a persistent dither that fleshed out with a little attention. The white spots are those little ones right above the grs on the polar regions northern edge. At anyrate above the red spot. The SEB has that chambered look and I got that down fairly good . Higher magnification really made it laydkwn and be accounted for but there's still details too fast fir me to nail definitively. The wake if the grs is intricate.

I'm impressed Norme I'm still trying to catch up to your detail level.

Pete

#8 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:41 PM

Oh yeah - LOL - getting it wrong. My accuracy is good but not perfect and things can shift dramatically in a day even but I'm careful to verify and not give into impulse sightings that can't be repeatedly verified. Nit that that is a cure all but I have a fairly discriminating rule I think. If I'm undecided I'll mention it.

OK off to work on my boundary vents!!

Pete

#9 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Gemini

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:55 PM

Norme,

Good sketch of Jupiter :).

CS,KLU,

:thanx:,

Tom

#10 Andrev

Andrev

Skylab

• Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:26 PM

Norme.

Another great sketch. I like so much your level of details. According to the numerous sketches of Jupiter you have submitted, I can see you are at the eyepiece more often than me...

Congratulation Norme.

Andre.

#11 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:22 PM

Pete, some of those features exist at the margins of our ability, that makes them tricky, indeed. In good seeing, they are not as "fast." Sometimes Jupiter just "burns" steadily for more than a few seconds - it really begins to show color and detail much like an image. Much like the sketch.

So, beautiful, hovering there in space showing herself. During those best moments, you can really go deep into it's features. When those steady periods are more frequent and lasting longer, you can really pick Jove apart.

Andre, with the number of sketches you produce almost daily, I'd say we both spend some quality time at the eyepiece. :)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics