LX200 power adapter fault

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

• Loc: London UK

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:15 AM

Hi - my recent post here reporting the death of my Classic LX200 seems mercifully premature :jump: After a fortnight in the house [away from damp obsy] the scope fired up unexpectedly this morning via a substitute mains to 18VDC adapter of similar rating.

However I'd like to resurrect the original larger air-cooled Meade LX200 power adapter [below] but a simple continuity test across the power[?] fuse [highlighted] indicates it's blown. Is the fuse soldered in? What rating fuse replaces it? Don't want to poke around and damage things without advise. :grin: TIA

Attached Files

#2 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:25 AM

enlarged right = mains end

Attached Files

#3 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:26 AM

enlarged left = 18VDC out end

Attached Files

#4 Cliff Hipsher

Cliff Hipsher

Apollo

• ***--
  • Loc: North Chesterfield, VA

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:07 PM

The fuse is soldered in. It is rated at 2 AMPS, 250 volts.

HINT: Its printed on the circuit board....

#5 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:13 PM

The fuse is soldered in. It is rated at 2 AMPS, 250 volts.HINT: Its printed on the circuit board....

Thanks Cliff - shame about soldered in fuse :bawling: Yes - did spot CB legend soon after posting :grin:

#6 niteman1946

niteman1946

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Fort Worth, TX

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:18 AM

Hi nytecam,

Glad to hear your Classic survived, and the problem was with the power source. I've enjoyed reading your posts and seeing your images, and hope you continue.

FWIW, My 12" has been a good performer, and I expect it to outlive me.

I do have a bit of a concern about your resurrecting the factory(?) power source. More than once I've read that these devices are a catastrophe just waiting to happen. So around April I bought a 16v regulated power source from Jim at Scopestuff and have had no problems. In fairness I had had no problems before either. But Jim's quite adamant that the old PS is dangerous to life and limb. :crazy:
Just some thoughts.

Mark

#7 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:14 PM

Hi nytecam,Glad to hear your Classic survived, and the problem was with the power source. I've enjoyed reading your posts and seeing your images, and hope you continue. FWIW, My 12" has been a good performer, and I expect it to outlive me. I do have a bit of a concern about your resurrecting the factory(?) power source. More than once I've read that these devices are a catastrophe just waiting to happen. So around April I bought a 16v regulated power source from Jim at Scopestuff and have had no problems. In fairness I had had no problems before either. But Jim's quite adamant that the old PS is dangerous to life and limb. :crazy: Just some thoughts.
Mark

Thanks Mark - did temp repair on fuse but it blew again on power-up. I suspect its CB is fried so back to my replacement unit today with dummy goto to M15/M31/M33/NGC 7331 etc all fine. Will reinstall scope on pier when my helpers are around :grin:

BTW - opened dome today to find floor rain soaked and shutter missing -it was in bushes 50ft away with little or no damage and now refitted. Must have been absent for over a week but luckily no gear in obsy :o

#8 niteman1946

niteman1946

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Fort Worth, TX

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:59 PM

That's got to be scary, opening the observatory and seeing sky (and a wet floor).

Hope your refit holds up.

Mark

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics