#1 Gary Fuchs

Gary Fuchs

Apollo

• Loc: Easton, PA, USA

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:13 PM

Hello,

This was from last night (11-22):

Posted Image

I've been trying to use VMA to ID this and understand what it is...but can't make sense of it.

Sorry about poor quality.

Thank you,

Gary

#2 edosaurusrex  Happy Birthday!

edosaurusrex

Messenger

• Loc: Ft Worth, TX

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:57 PM

Pitatus (large) and Hesiodus (small) are to the upper left. Pitatus M,N, and O are the craters in the circle.

#3 Gary Fuchs

Gary Fuchs

Apollo

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:09 PM

Thanks; I should have been more specific, the area circled looks like straight lines but I don't see mountain ridges or anything straight on VMA. Or is that just the way the light is hitting the craters?

Gary

#4 David Knisely

David Knisely

Hubble

• Loc: southeastern Nebraska

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:54 PM

Thanks; I should have been more specific, the area circled looks like straight lines but I don't see mountain ridges or anything straight on VMA. Or is that just the way the light is hitting the craters?

Gary

There are some of these gouge-like formations all over the front side of the moon. Many are related to the blast that created the Mare Imbrium impact basin. Most are confined to area closer to the Appenine mountains (like those alongside Ptolemaeus for example), but the ones you show might also be Imbrium associated (although there are numerous other impact basins on the moon that might have created these). Clear skies to you.

#5 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:11 PM

Gary,

Your query was answered I just thought I'd plug many peoples favorite moon identification program. Its called Virtual Moon Atlas which a lot of folks appreciatively call VMA. Its the perfect partner to one of the best moon programs to ever come along called Lunar Terminator Visualization Tool called by most LTVT. Believe me your lunar observing preperation will never be the same again. With LTVT you can strategically plan observations gfor study of elusive rims and such because it calculates topography/light and shade. Get VMA first but give LTVT a serious shake.

OK more than you asked for but I thought If throw it out there as it sounds like you might appreciate it.

Pete

#6 Gary Fuchs

Gary Fuchs

Apollo

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:53 PM

Thanks David & Pete,

The "Lunar Terminator Visualization Tool" sounds like just the ticket. The VMA is awesome. Like Cartes du Ciel...hard to believe they're basically gifts.

Gary

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics