• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#26 tecmage

tecmage

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Glenview, IL

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:57 PM

Is it primarily based on LRO photos? Or something older?

Primarily based on LRO. Very nice, highly detailed images and explanations of Lunar geography.

How is the scale, compared to something like the Rukl atlas?
Is there token coverage of the farside?

The dark side was shown in four quadrant maps.
The scale is good, but my frame of reference is Legault's New Atlas of the Moon.

Are the charts rectified (no foreshortening)?
Is there a lot of discussion on the origins of various features, or is it primarily an observer's atlas? Chuck Wood has a way of mingling all of it together - did he go one way or the other on this?

Yes, Chuck had a lot to say about the origins of Lunar geography. I would have responded sooner, but I was enjoying reading the descriptions of the different types of craters, rilles and mountains. Very interesting stuff!!!!

#27 Ibmelrod

Ibmelrod

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario Canada

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:07 PM

Received mine on Jan. 7th after it shouldered it's way through Customs and Holiday mail to Canada. It's very well worth the price and I love the way its organized to follow the phase illumination with chart highlights described clearly and to the point.

#28 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:53 PM

I'm still waiting for mine. But then, I only ordered it 38 days ago!

Mike

#29 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

• Loc: Inner Solar System

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:50 AM

Mike

Hmm. I ordered mine last Friday; I guess I won't be seeing it any time soon.

#30 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:09 AM

I remember 40 years ago 4-6 weeks was the normal delivery time for anything ordered through the mail.

Mike

#31 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:47 AM

It still is when you're waiting for a refund on something. :p

#32 RobertED

RobertED

Gemini

• Loc: Smithfield, RI

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:22 PM

Mike

Hmm. I ordered mine last Friday; I guess I won't be seeing it any time soon.

It took 29 days for mine!!!.... :p :p :p

#33 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:27 PM

I wonder if it's print-on-demand. That might slow things down a bit.

#34 edl

edl

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:41 PM

Ordered mine several weeks ago, but it only arrived today. Postage indicated that it was shipped on January 7th, so can't complain given that I'm in Canada.

Besides being a lovely piece of work, the spiral bound atlas is really well put together. Our postal person stuffed it rather poorly in our mail box and I was sure the atlas would be bent and creased. Luckily no damage, and it bounced back perfectly.

Best,
Ed L.

#35 Photobud

Photobud

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:22 PM

How does this compare to the "The Cambridge Photographic Moon"?

#36 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:51 PM

I wouldn't know. I haven't received it yet. 42 days since I ordered and I don't have mine.

Who has waited the longest and still hasn't gotten theirs?

Mike

#37 Stellarfire

Stellarfire

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Switzerland

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:00 PM

I wouldn't know. I haven't received it yet. 42 days since I ordered and I don't have mine.

Who has waited the longest and still hasn't gotten theirs?

Mike

Date of order placement (with same day payment through PayPal): November 26, 2012.

Still waiting on the Atlas...

Stephan

#38 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:10 PM

So far you win the prize, Stephan.

:grin:
Mike

#39 rockethead26

rockethead26

Gemini

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:25 PM

Email him and ask about it. He made a boo boo with my shipment and discovered it after my email. He joked that it seems easier to write a book than to ship it out in a timely manner.

#40 edl

edl

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:01 PM

How does this compare to the "The Cambridge Photographic Moon"?

It's different, although both are high quality. So far I think the "21st Century Atlas of the Moon" more realistically captures the view through a high quality scope than pretty well any other atlas I've owned. It's also more suitable to have at the eyepiece (spiral bound, smaller), although Cambridge covers more lunar features in greater detail.
Personally I think the two books compliment each other to quite a large degree.

Best,
Ed L.

#41 Stellarfire

Stellarfire

Apollo

• -----

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:06 AM

I just e-mailed him too. Normally, postal communications between the U.S.A. and Switzerland are very reliable and fast. But after 51 days waiting time without getting the Atlas (order date November 26, 2012), I guess it is time to have the shipping files checked by Chuck.

Stephan

#42 Stellarfire

Stellarfire

Apollo

• -----

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:05 AM

I just e-mailed him too. Normally, postal communications between the U.S.A. and Switzerland are very reliable and fast. But after 51 days waiting time without getting the Atlas (order date November 26, 2012), I guess it is time to have the shipping files checked by Chuck.

Stephan

Chuck Wood just informed me by e-mail, that my ordered Atlas was delivered to the post office yesterday. Now I understand why there was 50 days long no Moon Atlas in the mail box. Oh man, how I like the first-come-last-served-rule... :tonofbricks:

Stephan

#43 rockethead26

rockethead26

Gemini

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

Just received mine today in perfect condition. Chuck is still signing the atlas. For those of you still waiting, it took 6 days to get here to the Indianapolis area after he mailed it.

It's a very nice piece of work and designed to be used. Can't wait to get a chance to sit down and give it a good once over.

#44 Dave Chapman

Dave Chapman

Mariner 2

• Loc: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:35 PM

Stephan

Me too, ordered same day as you, so I followed up with Chuck. He said it had just been mailed! Can't wait!

Dave

#45 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:58 PM

I got mine today as well. For those who are anxiously awaiting details, here's my first impressions:

The quality of materials is outstanding. The covers are heavy card stock, and the pages are also very heavy and stiff. Glossy, high-quality paper is used throughout. The spiral binding and heavy materials mark it as being intended for the observer.

This is a true lunar atlas. The source is a mosaic of the entire Moon made from LRO pictures at the same lighting conditions, and sliced into sections with software. The charts and pictures are all startlingly clear and sharp. In fact, they're almost perfect.

The book starts with about 10 pages of general discussion of lunar features by Chuck Wood in his usual easy style; then comes the main 28-chart atlas. This is set up with a chart on the right side, and pictures of various interesting features on the left.

After these pages, there are about 30 pages of specialized charts, including a section of pictures of the great basins, created with LOLA data rather than photography, and showing them very well. The limbs, libration areas, poles, full Moon features, and the farside are all well treated.

Just from my first look, I declare this a must-have. There's nothing about it that I don't like. I have the Cambridge atlas as well, and it has a lot of very good stuff in it. I'm glad to have both; but if the two were side by side and I could only choose one, it would be the 21st Century atlas, hands down.

#46 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:04 PM

Still waiting here ...

#47 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:33 AM

Mike,
Contact Chuck; something has to be wrong. I ordered mine on 1/4. I'm pretty sure he's getting emails from a lot of anxious buyers. He seems like a nice guy, and I'm sure he'll look into it.

#48 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:55 AM

Here's another something to notice about this atlas:

Look at the inside of the back cover, where the "About the Authors" blurb is.
Co-author Maurice Collins, who is the pefect image of the Mad Scientist, is really an amazing guy. He pores through all those lunar databases that are created by probes like LRO, Kaguya, and others; experiments with available software to manipulate the images, and discovers new stuff!

Now, that's what it's all about, in my book. NASA, ESA, JAXA, they do all this work to send up probes and amass this incredible body of information, and make it all easily available to the public. But, that's not much good unless people actually do something with it. Ol' Maurice is doing just that, and a few guys like him make it all worthwhile. While the rest of us are happy with a pretty new atlas to set by the telescope, he's out there on the edge, making discoveries. I wish I had that kind of drive.

Way to go, Maurice! :bow:

#49 Stellarfire

Stellarfire

Apollo

• -----

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:48 AM

Yippie-ai-ay, it is here! Finally!

Date of order/payment: November 26, 2012
Date of shipment (postmark Bridgeport, OH): January 14, 2013
Date of receipt in Switzerland: January 19, 2013

The long but nevertheless fast international postal transport with its additional handling operations at several postal facilities resulted in very slight corner bumping, but nothing serious, I can live with it.

The Atlas meets my expectations, in its price class, it leaves nothing to be desired. It came autographed by Charles A. Wood (I like autographed first editions). I am very happy with the very decent printing quality. I can only confirm word for word the praise of Rick Woods as stated previously.

Thank you, Chuck and Maurice, for bringing this nice Atlas to us! :goodjob:

Stephan

#50 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:24 AM

Execution of this Atlas is professional. The distribution ... eh, not so much.

Mike

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics