21st Century Atlas of the Moon

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#76 photonovore

photonovore

Moonatic

• Loc: tacoma wa

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:09 AM

As it is no longer available through the publisher (West Virginia University Press), apparently it is sold out. Perhaps there will be a re-print...

#77 mich_al

mich_al

Vanguard

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:41 AM

As it is no longer available through the publisher (West Virginia University Press), apparently it is sold out. Perhaps there will be a re-print...

They are definitely NOT shipping! I placed an order and they called me for my CC number. Said it would ship the following day. That was weeks ago (see my thread in 'Stellar Media". Subsequent calls reveals they have no idea when it will be available. So far they haven't billed my CC.

#78 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

• Loc: Inner Solar System

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:11 PM

Ah, he who hesitates...

#79 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:44 PM

We need a Uranometria of the moon . One day ... One day...

Pete

#80 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 25 November 2013 - 03:19 PM

We have a couple: Rukl & the Lunar Orbiter atlas (LOPAM).
Hopefully, an LRO atlas too, before too long.

#81 kcb

kcb

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: georgian bay,ontario

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:57 PM

hi,
i have that atlas as well as new atlas of the moon by legault and brunier and the cambridge photographic moon atlas and the antonin rukl atlas of the moon,as well as sky and telescopes laminated field map of the moon,all are highly recommended,kevin

#82 RobertED

RobertED

Gemini

• Loc: Smithfield, RI

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:07 PM

hi,
i have that atlas as well as new atlas of the moon by legault and brunier and the cambridge photographic moon atlas and the antonin rukl atlas of the moon,as well as sky and telescopes laminated field map of the moon,all are highly recommended,kevin

I also have this book, and also highly recommend it!!(The New Atlas of the Moon). Cool Book!!

#83 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 28 November 2013 - 01:20 AM

21st Century Atlas of the Moon out of print already? Deja vu. Sounds like Rukl's all over again.

Mike

#84 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 29 November 2013 - 11:12 AM

Don't worry; you'll be able to get one used for $950 pretty soon.

#85 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 29 November 2013 - 11:28 AM

For that kind of money, they can PM me about my copy. :money:

Mike

#86 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 29 November 2013 - 02:50 PM

I suspect there will be a large-scale LRO-based atlas before long. The imagery is just too good not to do one.

#87 RobertED

RobertED

Gemini

Posted 30 November 2013 - 07:30 AM

I suspect there will be a large-scale LRO-based atlas before long. The imagery is just too good not to do one.

I am so waiting for this one!!!!! :jump:

#88 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 30 November 2013 - 12:08 PM

The LRO might be too detailed for a practical printed lunar atlas. OR possibly the high detail could be provided only for a few interesting lunar regions. (Yes, they can make insets for the lunar landing areas. Wouldn't want to miss that Cat's Paw!)

Also, we need to keep in mind just how detailed the images really need to be for Earth-based visual astronomy. This would be for actual field use at the telescope, right, not for dreaming about lunar flyovers in the house? :rollgrin:

Probably better to have the LRO in scalable, searchable digital versions. The day of indices and flipping back and forth through pages is thankfully just about over. Please, whoever develops the LRO for computers, make one for ANDROID tablets!

Mike

#89 brianb11213

brianb11213

Cosmos

• Loc: 55.215N 6.554W

Posted 30 November 2013 - 01:10 PM

The LRO might be too detailed for a practical printed lunar atlas.

Unless the atlas is very large format & has a great number of plates. Which would make it impracticably expensive. Still, the Audubon bird book set had much the same issues.

Also, we need to keep in mind just how detailed the images really need to be for Earth-based visual astronomy. This would be for actual field use at the telescope, right, not for dreaming about lunar flyovers in the house?

Maybe we need both.

Probably better to have the LRO in scalable, searchable digital versions. The day of indices and flipping back and forth through pages is thankfully just about over.

Sorry, but I find the practice of handling a real paper book far more enjoyable than fiddling round with electronic devices. Once you're reconciled to flipping pages, an index is probably the best way of searching it. Image tags really don't work as well, or as consistently across different hardware/software combinations.

BTW if you really want a reasonably sized, computerised lunar "atlas" the high resolution wraps used with VMA are pretty good.

#90 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 30 November 2013 - 02:02 PM

I agree with Brian. The days of page-flipping will never be over for bibliophiles.
I suspect a good large-scale atlas (a 21st Century atlas on steroids) would attract enough buyers to make it profitable, at least for one run. There are lots of compulsive atlas-buyers (like me) who will plunk for it.
They did the LOPAM; this couldn't be all that much harder.

#91 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 30 November 2013 - 02:34 PM

The LRO might be too detailed for a practical printed lunar atlas.

Unless the atlas is very large format & has a great number of plates. Which would make it impracticably expensive. Still, the Audubon bird book set had much the same issues.

Impracticably expensive, and impractical for use at the telescope. But then, I don't think bird watchers carry the Audubon album into the field, either.

We are actually talking about two different uses of reference materials. I have my share of atlases and picture books for the study, but I'm more interested in what I can use at the eyepiece in the field.

Mike

#92 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 30 November 2013 - 02:44 PM

Sorry, but I find the practice of handling a real paper book far more enjoyable than fiddling round with electronic devices. Once you're reconciled to flipping pages, an index is probably the best way of searching it. Image tags really don't work as well, or as consistently across different hardware/software combinations.

No need to apologize. I enjoy printed books, too. I must have at least 3000 of them. That has gone down from a maximum of maybe 5000. I recently gave 45 boxes of books to charity. (My back hurt for a month after.)

But once I discovered the simplicity and practicality of SkySafari Pro, I'll never go back to printed star atlases at the telescope in the field. It's made a tremendous difference in my deep sky sessions at dark sites. Printed atlases are clunky, heavy, cumbersome and ineffective in comparison.

I've yet to find a good lunar atlas for the Android tablet. But I'm confident that once it's available, I'll never bring a printed lunar atlas out to the field again.

BTW if you really want a reasonably sized, computerised lunar "atlas" the high resolution wraps used with VMA are pretty good.

I agree that VMA is a great digital lunar atlas program. Unfortunately, it hasn't been ported to Android - or iPad, AFAIK. I tried VMA on a mini laptop, but even that was too heavy and bulky for quick and easy use at the eyepiece. Nothing beats a tablet for convenience, image scale, and light weight.

Mike

#93 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 30 November 2013 - 02:48 PM

I agree with Brian. The days of page-flipping will never be over for bibliophiles.
I suspect a good large-scale atlas (a 21st Century atlas on steroids) would attract enough buyers to make it profitable, at least for one run. There are lots of compulsive atlas-buyers (like me) who will plunk for it.
They did the LOPAM; this couldn't be all that much harder.

I'm done with the big, heavy atlases. I almost squeezed the trigger on that Great Atlas of the Heavens - was that the name? - about a year ago. Well, actually I did pull the trigger, but then soon contacted the seller to cancel. I really have no use for a huge coffee table book like that. I don't even have a coffee table ... I don't even drink coffee! :grin:

Mike

#94 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:02 PM

"The Great Atlas of the Sky". A true masterpiece.

Does not go well with coffee, at least not when I'm drinking it. Other than that, I'm really glad I got a copy even if I did pay full price.
I'll be scheming on this hypothetical LRO atlas, too. Put it up with my LOPAM.

#95 RobertED

RobertED

Gemini

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:40 PM

The LRO might be too detailed for a practical printed lunar atlas. OR possibly the high detail could be provided only for a few interesting lunar regions. (Yes, they can make insets for the lunar landing areas. Wouldn't want to miss that Cat's Paw!)

Also, we need to keep in mind just how detailed the images really need to be for Earth-based visual astronomy. This would be for actual field use at the telescope, right, not for dreaming about lunar flyovers in the house? :rollgrin:

Probably better to have the LRO in scalable, searchable digital versions. The day of indices and flipping back and forth through pages is thankfully just about over. Please, whoever develops the LRO for computers, make one for ANDROID tablets!

Mike

Forget yet another atlas for use at the telescope!!...there are plenty of those already!! I definitely would want a book, paper pages preferred!, to show off the grandeur and the glory of the new LRO hi-res images. I'd love to explore the immensely detailed images in a book form!!!! :jump:

#96 Castor

Castor

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: GMT-6 / North

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:50 AM

Hi,

I just ordered my copy of the atlas from Amazon. Thank you all for your recommendations!

21st Century Atlas of the Moon at Amazon.com

#97 MrJim

MrJim

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Mansfield, Texas

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:12 PM

Amazon still has them. I just ordered mine a few moments ago.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics