21st Century Atlas of the Moon

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#76 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

• Loc: Palo alto, CA.

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:28 PM

I'm very pleased. A lot more detail than I can pull out of my scopes and skies +++ (that includes my poor attempts at imaging) Like the layout and organization, information, size... spiral binding. Makes me want to spend more time on Luna!

#77 RobertED

RobertED

Gemini

• Loc: Smithfield, RI

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:19 AM

My only complaint!!!...and it's probably just 'me'...is that the large page photo of Copernicus (my favorite crater) is cut in half!!!! I, and this is just 'me', mind you, would've liked to have it nicely centered in it's own photo....but, hey , that's cool!!! I love the book! ;)

#78 RobertED

RobertED

Gemini

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:23 AM

About the 21Cam being half the size of the Cambridge: Is that necessarily a bad thing? For field work, I want the smallest atlas that will get the job done. I want to be able to hold that atlas at the eyepiece, turn the pages easily and have everything stay put. No atlas on the table for me. The big books stay in the house.

No, not a bad thing at all! By far my most useful and used Moon map is the S&T/Rukl fold-out map. But, I only have so many $29.95'ses to spare at any given time (and I have to recover from ordering that S&T topo Moon globe).
The Cambridge atlas seems to be the better first choice, for me. But the 21st Century atlas will be along shortly, I'm sure.

To digress a little: Another really good Moon map is the National Geographic insert from the Feb. 1969 issue. It's very close in scale to the S&T/Rukl chart. It's not quite as detailed, but it's rectified, and shows the far side as well. I got lucky a while back and found that issue, with map, in a thrift shop; I don't think it had ever been unfolded! I unfolded it once to measure it; now I'm going to get a frame (thrift shop again) and hang it in my observatory along with my Nat. Geo. maps of Mars and the Universe (I love those NG maps!)

Absolutely Rick!!!...the 1969 NatGeo map is fantastic!! I was lucky enough to pick up a reprinted and laminated version at a local bookstore....just love it!!! Of course, I have a couple of copies of the original one as well....AND the amazing original 1973 Mars map!!! Old School rules!!!

Attached Files

#79 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

• Loc: Inner Solar System

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:05 PM

Yep, that bad boy is framed and hanging in my observatory. IMO the best Mars map ever printed - and just so beautiful! I have another, somewhat beat up copy, and I used to have a pristine one (another thrift store score) that I gave to a good friend and fellow Martian.

#80 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

Slightly away from the topic of the Moon book, but germane to planets and Moon observing is the book: "Observing and Photographing the Solar System" by Dobbins, Parker and Capen, 1988 Willmann-Bell publishers.
This is an excellent book and contains one of the best albedo maps of Mars I've ever seen.
I believe it's out of print, but used copies might be available.

#81 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:29 PM

Slightly away from the topic of the Moon book, but germane to planets and Moon observing is the book: "Observing and Photographing the Solar System" by Dobbins, Parker and Capen, 1988 Willmann-Bell publishers.
This is an excellent book and contains one of the best albedo maps of Mars I've ever seen.

Indeed they are, and they're not expensive. I got one a year or two ago (I forget what I paid, but it wasn't much), and it's a great observing guide, even though the photographic part is way dated.
That very Mars albedo map, in gigantic form, is hanging on the wall in the lobby of the Planetary Research Center at Lowell Observatory. I asked them how I could get a copy of it, but they couldn't help me. I think the great Jay Inge was the cartographer for the albedo part of it, and the photographic part was Mariner 9 imagery.

#82 BobinKy

BobinKy

Gemini

Posted 01 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

Yeah! I look at page 202 and go running for the John Carter DVD! :step:

#83 RobertED

RobertED

Gemini

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:24 PM

Gotta agree with you Rick, that has to be the most beautiful Mars map ever printed!! The 1973 NatGeo Mars has that "mid-'50's-early-'60's" "old school" feel to it! It can still be used today....just change some of the nomenclature!!! I'd sure love to find a laminated reprint of that one too!!!!!

#84 operascope

operascope

Mariner 2

• Loc: Canada

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:17 PM

-Actually, it's still available from William Bell on their website:
http://www.willbell.com/ccd/CCD3.HTM

#85 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:32 PM

Yeah! I look at page 202 and go running for the John Carter DVD! :step:

Whoops - I was talking about the one on page 66.

#86 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:34 PM

Gotta agree with you Rick, that has to be the most beautiful Mars map ever printed!! The 1973 NatGeo Mars has that "mid-'50's-early-'60's" "old school" feel to it! It can still be used today....just change some of the nomenclature!!! I'd sure love to find a laminated reprint of that one too!!!!!

Yep! And it was Jay Inge again.

#87 BobinKy

BobinKy

Gemini

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

Yeah! I look at page 202 and go running for the John Carter DVD!

I watched the John Carter DVD again last night. A great movie.

My apologies for taking this thread off topic.

Back to Charles Wood's Atlas. I am continuing to thumb through it in awe. I will have to sit down one day and give it a serious read. I agree with what was said earlier--this book and the S&T Field Map of the Moon may be the combination to get beginner lunar observers into the hobby.

#88 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:42 PM

Robert,

Now I think about it, seems to me that Nat Geo offers reprints of a lot of these maps. You should contact them. You can have it laminated at Staples, Wide World of Maps (where I got mine done), or probably a lot of places. That map should be in every Mars observer's arsenal. Probably the last great map to use the old names, the names of features that we observers recognize.

*Sigh* Oh, the nostalgia! :D

#89 RobertED

RobertED

Gemini

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:39 PM

Thanks for the advice, Rick!! You are a wise man!!! :bow: ;)

#90 ianatcn

ianatcn

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Hampshire, UK

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:32 AM

My copy arrived in the UK yesterday having been ordered on 1st December last. The bubble bag kept it in fine condition on its trans atlantic journey.

I have been very impressed by the quality of the reproductions. I have even had a 6x hand magnifier on some images and can pull out some very small details. The quality of the paper used and printing technique have resulted in a very impressive atlas.

Today it is snowing hard and temperatures are below zero centigrade, I am sitting by an open fire and intend to spend the morning browsing my copy.

I would like to say it has a place in my bookcase between Nasmyth & Carpenter and Modern Moon, but I think it will be quite some time before it makes it that far.

To Charles, thank you for signing my copy and for producing a wonderful addition to my library.

#91 rockethead26

rockethead26

Gemini

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:13 PM

Just received mine today in perfect condition. Chuck is still signing the atlas. For those of you still waiting, it took 6 days to get here to the Indianapolis area after he mailed it.

It's a very nice piece of work and designed to be used. Can't wait to get a chance to sit down and give it a good once over

#92 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

I got mine today, and posted my impressions in the thread in the Lunar Observing forum, if anyone's interested.

#93 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:06 PM

Still waiting here ...

#94 Stellarfire

Stellarfire

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Switzerland

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:45 AM

Yippie-ai-ay, it is here! Finally!

Date of order/payment: November 26, 2012
Date of shipment (postmark Bridgeport, OH): January 14, 2013
Date of receipt in Switzerland: January 19, 2013

The long but nevertheless fast international postal transport with its additional handling operations at several postal facilities resulted in very slight corner bumbing, but nothing serious, so I can live with it.

The Atlas meets my expectations. In its price class (USD $ 30), it leaves nothing to be desired. It came autographed by Charles A. Wood (I like autographed first editions). I am very happy with the very decent printing quality.

Thank you, Chuck and Maurice, for bringing this nice Moon Atlas to us! :goodjob:

Stephan

#95 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:38 PM

Well, I gave Chuck the benefit of the doubt and allowed him the full 4-6 weeks that was the standard for shipping 40 years ago. I finally sent him an email this morning.

I shouldn't have to do this.

Mike

#96 Stellarfire

Stellarfire

Apollo

• -----

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

Yes, that is true, Mike. I think Chuck and his team learned during their self-publishing venture a lot about positive order processing and distribution, and in particular that not all customers really like the "first-come-last-served-rule".

Apparently, this was their first self-publishing job, so I am perfectly willing to accept the unexpected delay as experienced.

Stephan

#97 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:55 PM

I've been involved in mail order. The best procedure is to place each order in a spreadsheet and sort them by date received. If at all possible, ship them all on the next day. If that is not possible, then process each one and ship them out in order of date received. First in first out. Any other method will incur the ire of the customers, and justifiably so.

Mike

#98 rockethead26

rockethead26

Gemini

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:00 PM

Yes, I agree that there some learning curves for Chuck and Maurice, but the atlas is well worth any snafus.

n my case, I waited about ten days after ordering to check in with Chuck on the shipping. He emailed that he was pretty sure it went out. Then a few hours later I get another email from Chuck saying that he was glad I followed up because he had printed six shipping labels several days before and set them aside only to be forgotten until I had planted the seed in his head. Been there, done that!

Anyway, after giving the atlas a complete once over and making it so far thru page 5 of the intro, I have to say that this is an amazing piece of work. The consistency and details of the photos is incredible. The writing style is easy, succinct and informative. I have never been much of a lunar buff, but this is going to turn me into one.

I love the thick, glossy, high-quality paper stock that lets me handle it without feeling like I'll damage it, too.

I agree with Rick that this is a must have.

#99 Stellarfire

Stellarfire

Apollo

• -----

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:10 PM

I agree with Rick that this is a must have.

+1

Stephan

#100 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:23 PM

Yes, it sounds like a professional Lunar Atlas. I would have paid more to have it professionally distributed.

Six weeks?

Mike

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics