9 replies to this topic

#1 cbwerner

cbwerner

Apollo

• -----
  • Moderators
  • Loc: Maidens, VA

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:36 PM

I'm close to getting everything setup and running and am gathering the final needed parts. My setup will be as follows:

Scope/camera/etc. on a pier/obs in a field to the side of my house. Data routed into a USB hub that in turn will feed into an Icron CAT5 Extender.

Cable #1 running from the Icron to an Ethernet jack on the outside of my house.

Cable #2 is a standard CAT5e cable running from the outside jack to an ethernet jack inside the house where my computer will be.

Cable #3 from the inside jack into the other Icron extender, then USB into the computer.

My question is this - Do cables #1 and/or #3 need to be patch cables or regular CAT5e cables? Thanks.

#2 rimcrazy

rimcrazy

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Overgaard, AZ

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:36 PM

You are not really running ethernet you are running USB over CAT5 cable. I would check with Icron but my assumption is just be sure you don't use any cable that does a flip. Standard ethernet cable is of this type.

#3 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:53 PM

I'm no expert, but if you have not yet run the cable, why not run Cat 6 just for the future?

As for the rest of your questions---I really don't know.

Alex

#4 mattw

mattw

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Arkansas

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:20 AM

Just to let you know what I did, which works fine,
is use a Monoprice 5e patch cord from inside computer
to wall jack, then 150 foot cat5 underground waterproof
ethernet to observatory (inside conduit with electrical
line), connect this to a Belkin network switch, and
connect this to the observatory computer).
The network switch was recommended by a friend who installs
networks for a living, to avoid problems with electrical
surges, which could fry my network card.

#5 *skyguy*

*skyguy*

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Western New York

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:37 AM

I ran standard CAT5 cable (~150') directly from my observatory computer to the wireless router in my house ... and that was 10 years ago! This system has worked well over the years.
I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to do ... since the Icon CAT5 Extender uses CAT5 cable to extend USB port connections over long distances (~100 meters).

#6 stmguy

stmguy

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Western NH

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:46 AM

If it were me I'd run fiber , you can buy that with the ends already installed and a couple of convertors and you will be all set for Gigabit speeds if needed. One of the problems with just running cat 5/6 cable underground is lightning strikes, they don,t have to be direct. We ran 75 ft cat 5 in conduit underground and lost everything that was connected on both ends, PC,s switches , router, etc. We replaced it with fiber and are very happy with the results and the cost wasn't,t that much
Norm

#7 cbwerner

cbwerner

Apollo

• -----
  • Moderators
  • Loc: Maidens, VA

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:45 AM

The only cable I have had run at this point is the CAT5e between the outside and inside jacks, and it's in the crawl space of the house, not underground. Even if it were exposed to a lightning strike, that wouldn't be an issue for my equipment as it will not be connected when it's not in use. I chose not to run the cable underground as it would have had to share a trench with the power to a 100 amp sub-panel in my workshop and line to a potential future generator.

My question is really just this - do 3 CAT5e cables connected through 2 jacks behave as a single CAT5e cable? I thought the answer was yes, but my IT guy at work confused me when he opined that he thought I would need a patch cable on the outside. I'm not sure that's right, and I suppose I might be able to test it myself, I'm just trying to avoid buying cables I don't need.

My objective here is simply to run the scope from inside the house - the Icron is needed as the distance is well over the 80' you can get over USB alone. As to fiber or CAT 6, nothing I have even remotely approaches the bandwidth of CAT5e, and upgrading in the future would be simple as we're just talking a run through the crawl space.

#8 budman1961

budman1961

Apollo

• Loc: Springfield, MO

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:37 PM

If it were me I'd run fiber , you can buy that with the ends already installed and a couple of convertors and you will be all set for Gigabit speeds if needed. One of the problems with just running cat 5/6 cable underground is lightning strikes, they don,t have to be direct. We ran 75 ft cat 5 in conduit underground and lost everything that was connected on both ends, PC,s switches , router, etc. We replaced it with fiber and are very happy with the results and the cost wasn't,t that much
Norm

I second the fiber route........lightning has a great way of working itself into long cat5/6 runs.....

Andy

#9 averen

averen

Vendor Main Sequence Software

• Vendors
  • Loc: Austin TX

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:20 PM

Do yo use some sort of copper -> fiber conversion? I'm working on building an obs now and I was planning on running a couple of cat 6 runs out to it. I may run fiber instead but I need some way to get it on my network, which is pretty easy to do with copper!

Thanks,
Jared

#10 stmguy

stmguy

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Western NH

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:36 AM

Yes they make Ethernet to fiber converters at a pretty reasonable cost, they just plug in. You should be able to get about 100 ft of fiber with ends with a pulling eye forabout$75
Norm

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics