CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Luminos 10mm instead of Axiom LX 10mm GRRRRRRRR

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 aa5te

aa5te

Genial Procrastinator

• Loc: Clinton, TN

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:10 PM

Yep. Day after Thanksgiving and I'm unthankful. I went Black Friday shopping with my fiancee last night (I didn't get anything, just went to be with her), my stomach is full, and then the mailman comes just a bit ago... I opened the box and disappointment sets in... what was supposed to be a used Axiom LX 10mm is a Luminos 10mm instead. I've read in a few places that the Axiom LX is supposed to be superior. I emailed the guy I got it from, he said he'd take it back, no problem. I said let me try it against my Speers-Waler 9.4mm tonight (which I'm pretty sure I'm about to sell) and see how it fares...

FYI, I don't have enough big, heavy eyepieces.

Attached Files

#2 Dr Morbius

Dr Morbius

Soyuz

• Loc: ManorvilleNY-but not for long

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:35 AM

Yes, let us know. I'm interested in the outcome.

#3 aa5te

aa5te

Genial Procrastinator

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:49 AM

So, I just tried them out on Jupiter and the moon. The Speers-Waler 9.4mm isn't as sharp as the Luminos (only by a hair) and it has more false color around Jupiter and the moon than the Luminos does. The real surprise - my Orion Sirius 10mm Plössl is significantly sharper than the Luminos. All of these were tested in a Hardin Optical 10" f/5 dob.

#4 Keith

Keith

Messenger

• Loc: los Angeles California

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:18 AM

no surprise, the 10mm sirius that came with the scopes is no slouch.

#5 cpr1

cpr1

Viking 1

• Loc: Louisiana

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:50 AM

Shane, I have the Luminous 10mm that I bought second hand. It works great on DSO. But there was some flaring with mine on Jupiter. It was sharp.

Did you notice flaring with Jupiter??

#6 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

• Loc: Canada

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:21 AM

How is the eye relief on the 10mm Luminos?

#7 aa5te

aa5te

Genial Procrastinator

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:15 PM

Did you notice flaring with Jupiter??

I noticed a little, not nearly as much as with the Speers-Waler 9.4mm. False color & CA are much more noticeable in the Speers; they seem kept to a minimum in the Luminos (reiteration of the above, I know, OCD).

#8 aa5te

aa5te

Genial Procrastinator

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:18 PM

How is the eye relief on the 10mm Luminos?

Slightly better than the Speers, a LOT better than the Plössl. My fiancee, who wears glasses, could barely get close enough with the Plössl to see Jupiter and 3 of its moons and commented on how uncomfortable it was; the Luminos brought about "Wow, that's really cool", and she could see all 4 of Jupiter's moons at 125x.

#9 aa5te

aa5te

Genial Procrastinator

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:24 PM

no surprise, the 10mm sirius that came with the scopes is no slouch.

I was truly surprised by this. I need to compare the OWL Expanse clone at 9mm to the 10mm Plössl. I gave up my Plössls in the 9.7-6.4mm range (which were Meade cheapies, except for a Japan made Meade 6.4mm) because the Expanse clone 9mm & 6mm outperformed them.

#10 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

• Loc: Canada

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:58 PM

Slightly better than the Speers, a LOT better than the Plössl. My fiancee, who wears glasses, could barely get close enough with the Plössl to see Jupiter and 3 of its moons and commented on how uncomfortable it was; the Luminos brought about "Wow, that's really cool", and she could see all 4 of Jupiter's moons at 125x.

Sounds like it would be a really good Deep Sky eyepiece. !!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics