• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 old_frankland

old_frankland

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: San Francisco Bay Area

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:03 PM

Dew on the corrector plate is becoming more of an issue as we move into the winter months. I have been using a hair dryer to remove the mild dewing from the C9 corrector plate, but I'd now like to invest in a good dew shield with a heating strip to control the dewing. Astrozap offers a lightweight dewshield with heating strip that looks like it would do the job. Are heating strips effective with the large corrector plates? I have used them with smaller aperture refractors with good results.

Thanks.

#2 Jeff Smith

Jeff Smith

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Chicago

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:09 PM

Yes.
I have used heating strips with apertures up to 14" with success.

#3 old_frankland

old_frankland

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:17 PM

Thanks for the input, Jeff. How long does it take for the heating strip on the 14" corrector to reach a temperture that stops dew formation? Was the heating strip used in conjunction with a dew shield?

Thanks.

#4 wky46

wky46

Surveyor 1

• Loc: west Ky.

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:29 PM

Hi Jim. Blow dryers are a hassle and I would rather be proactive in regard to moisture on the lens. Most nights here I have to use a dew strip. One for the lens and one for the EP. I have to deal with heavy frost as well. I have a dew shield but it only works for a little while so I never put it on and just use a dew strip, and thats all I need. It seems to work immediately on my 10" but it has to be placed just right and snug over the corrector. It keeps the dew and frost away all night long.

#5 old_frankland

old_frankland

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:16 PM

Thanks, wky46. What brand of dew strip are you using?

#6 Jeff Smith

Jeff Smith

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Chicago

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:49 PM

Thanks for the input, Jeff. How long does it take for the heating strip on the 14" corrector to reach a temperture that stops dew formation? Was the heating strip used in conjunction with a dew shield?

Thanks.

I have always brought the scope out an hour or two before sunset and aligned right at sunset. At that time I turn on the heaters. I have never had a dew problem. So in other words, the heater keeps up and never allows the dew to form in the first place.
Hope this helps :-)

#7 old_frankland

old_frankland

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:01 AM

Jeff, considering your location, your input is MOST helpful.

Thanks.

#8 wky46

wky46

Surveyor 1

• Loc: west Ky.

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:29 AM

I used the Dew-Not strip for years. The wires from it got damaged but luckily I repaired it and it lasted for a couple years afterwards but finally quit working. I ordered a DewZap brand this time and it's working fine. I've noticed that since I was using a blow dryer inbetween dew strips, my corrector had gotten very dirty from the minerals, dirt and pollutants in the moisture

#9 old_frankland

old_frankland

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:58 PM

Good point about constantly drying moisture on the corrector eventually leaving a residue. It makes sense that if you prevent condensation in the first place, the corrector surface should remain clean(er).

Thanks.

#10 n1wvet

n1wvet

Vostok 1

• Loc: Northern Virginia, USA, Earth

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:49 AM

I've had good luck for several years with the Dew Buster controller and Dew Not strips. I have also built a few strips from scratch. Key is to turn on the dew buster system before dew starts. I turn it on as soon as I set up my scope. A good insulating dew shield also helps like and exercise mat repurposed for dew avoidance. Easier to prevent dew than trying to remove it after the fact. Kinda like poison ivy.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics