Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:39 PM
For the stiff slow mo cables, get some Evaporust (available in quarts at some auto supply places, but gallons are available at Northern and Harbor Freight.
I put some in a plastic coffee can and stuck what I could in it. Let it soak for several days. That section should become flexible. Do the other end the same way, then you should be able to do the middle. (If you have a narrow tray or create a tube to completely cover them, it goes faster, but still plan a minimum of a week.) They should become completely flexible. I then washed them with Dawn and a brush, then took a wire brush to them. (They need to be flexed good while you clean them. After that I ran them through another bath of evaporust for a day, then using a rag and flexing the rod, cleaned up whatever residue is left. Won't make them completely shiny like original, but will make them work quite well. (Evaporust can it seems attack nickel plated stuff and turn it coppery colored, but chrome seems to hold up.)