• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 H.S.

H.S.

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Terre Du Lac, MO

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:57 PM

This is my first post in Classic Telescopes.
I thought I had lost this scope in a flood but I found it in my shed, it has been in there for over 20 years. I don't know what it is but it looks like the scope in the post "Tasco in a box" that was just posted.
I noticed serial numbers in some of the replies that seem to be a different series though. In any case, the serial number is 170904 and it is a 76.2 x 1200mm so I guess this is a 10 TE?
I cleaned the objective and the view is very surprising.
Here are some pictures.
Thanks for any info.
Harry

Attached Files

#2 H.S.

H.S.

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:58 PM

Here is the box.

Attached Files

#3 strdst

strdst

Soyuz

• Loc: Oregon Territory

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:44 PM

Howdy Harry,

Nice find! All I ever find in my shed is owl and raccoon poop.
I gotta get another shed!

Your scope is certainly a 10te. It is thought that the first digit in the Royal Astro serial numbers on the tag indicate the year of production. As there was no Tasco in 1951, and there isn't any styrofoam in your "crate" which probably would have been introduced by 1971, I would affix a 1961 date on it... case closed! well probably not that easy but we have seen here plenty of supporting evidence to the first digit serial number/last digit of the decade theory.

Glad that one didn't wash away!

other keith

#4 TahoeNoob

TahoeNoob

Mariner 2

• Loc: Sierra Nevada

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:09 AM

20 years? Hot dang! That's one serious eddy you've got flowing though your shed!

#5 H.S.

H.S.

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:48 AM

Thanks for the info Keith.
It is surprising how smooth the draw tube and focuser work although the RA and Dec adjustments are stiff but usable. The objective was dirty but cleaned up to look like new. I didn't have much time so I put that hybrid diagonal in it with a 32mm UO Konig and took a look at the Moon (something I havn't done in a while). Contrast, lots of contrast. I havn't looked through a refractor this long. Star test looked good with intra and extra focal rings more identical than just about anything I've seen.(a product of long focal length?)
Anyway, thanks again for the info, this appears to be a great and friendly forum.
Harry

#6 H.S.

H.S.

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:51 AM

We have had record heat this year in the Midwest, not to mention the other twenty something years. I'm surprised the scope even works but it does.
Harry

#7 desertrefugee

desertrefugee

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:48 PM

We have had record heat this year in the Midwest, not to mention the other twenty something years. I'm surprised the scope even works but it does.
Harry

Why wouldn't it? This things were built to last. Short of physical abuse or extreme environmental conditions, they'll be around for a long time.

Not only that, there are many threads to be found here where instruments that were either abused or exposed to the elements have been "brought back to life".

#8 Brian Risley

Brian Risley

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: SW Florida

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:39 PM

For the stiff slow mo cables, get some Evaporust (available in quarts at some auto supply places, but gallons are available at Northern and Harbor Freight.
I put some in a plastic coffee can and stuck what I could in it. Let it soak for several days. That section should become flexible. Do the other end the same way, then you should be able to do the middle. (If you have a narrow tray or create a tube to completely cover them, it goes faster, but still plan a minimum of a week.) They should become completely flexible. I then washed them with Dawn and a brush, then took a wire brush to them. (They need to be flexed good while you clean them. After that I ran them through another bath of evaporust for a day, then using a rag and flexing the rod, cleaned up whatever residue is left. Won't make them completely shiny like original, but will make them work quite well. (Evaporust can it seems attack nickel plated stuff and turn it coppery colored, but chrome seems to hold up.)
Brian

#9 desertrefugee

desertrefugee

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:38 PM

...unless you're referring to stiffness in the axes themselves. If that's the case, a quick disassembly, cleaning and re-lube is your best option.

#10 H.S.

H.S.

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:56 AM

Brian and Darrell
It is stiffness in the axes themselves. I will take them apart as you said.
Thanks for the tip on de-rusting. I have a lot of that to do.
Harry

#11 Brian Risley

Brian Risley

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: SW Florida

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:24 AM

Harry,
I would be careful with using EvapoRust on the focuser assembly. The one I am working on had some of the chrome come off almost like glitter with just a paper towel and GlassPlus!
Brian

#12 Napersky

Napersky

Vanguard

• Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:39 PM

I love the Tasco 10TE. It's equivalent to the Sears 6339-A. It's when all the rust is cleaned off they really shine!

#13 H.S.

H.S.

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:23 PM

Thanks for the warning. I'll use something else and be careful. I was thinking of car wax.
Harry

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics