Photo

polar alignment and drifting question?????????

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 herrindude

herrindude

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Fairhope Alabama

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:26 PM

I had a problem the other night drift aligning my cge with the ex ar152, i kept adjusting the wrong way. Now the 3 Saturday nights before I had no problem drift aligning my c11 on this same mount, and I think I have figured out the problem, maybe. do I have to adjust the mount differently on a sct versus a refracter. I am using the same diagonal and cross-hair eyepiece in both scopes. Please tell me if this is correct or not, thanks.

#2 dhaval

dhaval

Viking 1

• Loc: Round Rock, TX

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:41 AM

Hi, I am by no means helping with the original question, but I would imagine you have to. That being said, if you are using PHD for auto-guiding, then I'd say try aligning your mount using PHD - that is much faster and very accurate and still uses the same principle of drift alignment.

Good luck!

Dhaval

#3 snommisbor

snommisbor

Viking 1

• Loc: Cedar Park, TX

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:28 AM

Wouldnt it be different because you are getting a different view of the stars due to a straight through image with a refractor as opposed to the reflective view of a SCT. So what would be North may be South in you EP when drift aligning. There is a program online that lets you practice drift aligning based upon your scope. I cant remember the link but maybe someone would know or just google drift alignment simulator.

#4 DaveJ

DaveJ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:54 AM

I had a problem the other night drift aligning my cge with the ex ar152, i kept adjusting the wrong way. Now the 3 Saturday nights before I had no problem drift aligning my c11 on this same mount, and I think I have figured out the problem, maybe. do I have to adjust the mount differently on a sct versus a refracter. I am using the same diagonal and cross-hair eyepiece in both scopes. Please tell me if this is correct or not, thanks.

No, not different at all. Both scopes, with a 90* diagonal will present a correct up-down and reversed left-right image IF you have the diagonal at the same orientation with respect to the ground. If you rotate the diagonal AT ALL from vertical, then all bets are off. Did you, by chance, have the diagonal rotated?

#5 herrindude

herrindude

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Fairhope Alabama

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:12 AM

The diagonal is in the same position as the other.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics