• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 nicholas_nolte81

nicholas_nolte81

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Mesa, az

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:40 PM

Im trying to set up my LX200 for PC control and I cant get it to link up. It keeps saying there is nothing on the com port. It gives me faults saying:

LX200 not responding. Please check communications port settings, power and connections to the control system.

Any ideas? Ive tried it on with 2 computers and the same thing is happening. Im using the usb to serial from Plugable.com I read about it and it seemed like others had alot of luck with it. Im running windows 7 if that makes any difference.

#2 rutherfordt

rutherfordt

Messenger

• Loc: Northeast Tennessee USA

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:55 AM

What software are you using? I have done this using Meade's AUTOSTAR Suite and it works well.

Tom

#3 *skyguy*

*skyguy*

Vanguard

• Loc: Western New York

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:25 PM

My guess would be a communication problem with your USB-to-Serial adapter. The LX200 "Classic" is very finicky when it comes to which adapters will work. I've used Keyspan adapter for years without any problems. It's a bit more expensive ... but, it's worth it.

#4 Lorence

Lorence

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:39 PM

Im using the usb to serial from Plugable.com I read about it and it seemed like others had alot of luck with it. Im running windows 7 if that makes any difference.

USB to COM adapters are probably the biggest cause of frustration for people attempting to control their telescopes with a PC.

Prove the individual components are working. Start with the mount. Can you try to control it with another computer? If you have a PC with a real com port available, try that. If you have to take the telescope to a friends computer and try it. That will at least prove that the mount's RS-232 port and cable are working.

If the mount works with another PC then replace the USB adapter.

Ideally you would want to find someone that is controlling the same mount with a PC and try your equipment with that.

#5 nicholas_nolte81

nicholas_nolte81

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:07 PM

OK well I started playing around with this more and I got the program to recognize that there is a telescope there but it says

"The scope appears to be an unrecognized meade scope type. Check the ASCOM-Standards.org web site for driver updates."

I just installed all the meade stuff on there and still have the same error.

Any ideas?

#6 nicholas_nolte81

nicholas_nolte81

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:12 PM

... edit: IM an idiot and had the telescope turned off. Still not getting any kind of connection. Maybe I should buy a Keystone adapter and try again later.

#7 *skyguy*

*skyguy*

Vanguard

• Loc: Western New York

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:21 PM

What software are you using to connect to your scope?

#8 outlate75

outlate75

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: MD

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:34 AM

Have you tried changing the com port number. I use a USB to serial on a laptop and sometimes have to change the port. Maybe because I don't always plug the camera and the scope in in the same order.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics