dew prob.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 redfox

redfox

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:09 AM

I leave my celestron cpc800 out in its wood built observatory,i have noticed that after i turn my front dew band on that i have dew on the inside of the front corrector plate,hows the best way to stop this from happening and remove the moisture from inside?

#2 Digital Don

Digital Don

Vanguard

• Loc: Manteno, IL

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:34 PM

Hi redfox,

My CPC 1100 has 'lived' in my observatory since I got it about 5 years ago. In the colder months, I attach a 60 watt light bulb in a reflector to the pier with the bulb pointing upwards toward the tube. I also have a similar setup under the hand paddle as you can see below.

There isn't a lot of heat being generated - especially when it's really cold - but apparently there is enough since I haven't had a problem with dew outside or inside the tube while not in use.

If you have electricity in your observatory, you might want to give something similar a try.

Don:usa:

Attached Files

#3 redfox

redfox

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:26 PM

Thanks for the advice Don sounds like a plan,will give it a try.

#4 Digital Don

Digital Don

Vanguard

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:45 PM

Hope it works for you too!

Don:usa:

#5 Koen Dierckens

Koen Dierckens

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Antwerp, Belgium

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:14 AM

I wonder if it wouldn't be more energy-efficient then to leave the dew heater band powered on all the time?

#6 Digital Don

Digital Don

Vanguard

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:38 PM

Hi Koen,

It might be. But in addition to the corrector plate heater, I also have the heating element from a small dew heater installed inside the hand paddle to help keep the display readable in cold weather. (That's the red plug visible on the bottom of the paddle.) Both heaters are connected to a Thousand Oaks controller.

I just prefer not having my anti-dew setup running continuously.

Don :usa:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics