Life of Plossl

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#26 WAVT

WAVT

Viking 1

• Loc: Bellingham, WA

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:50 PM

I don't find my set of TV plossls to be at all granular. I think the steps are well placed. Most of my viewing is done in less than pristine viewing conditions and the ability to take a small step up or down can really make a huge difference in adjusting to the sky's tolerance for power. The parfocal characteristic is a big bonus and I find the steps convenient.

I am not of the opinion that 2" plossls are of significant value. If I'm stepping up to the 2" format, it's to get a big field of view and the 2" plossl is disappointing in that regard.

I don't use the 40mm 1-1/4" plossl very often for the same smallish FOV reason, but break it out on occasion to darken up a background in a faint fuzzy search.

I really don't use the barlow much either. The 11mm and 8mm see it on occasion when seeing is good and I am using my 600mm X ED80 to eek out some planitary detail. The 6mm & 4mm plossls require too much eyeball intimacy for my viewing pleasure. I like the minimal glass that plossls offer.

#27 planet earth

planet earth

Surveyor 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Ontario Canada

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:59 AM

If you had to build a set of EP's on Plossls alone; which would you choose? Would you include a Barlow in the set?

To make things interesting, consider yourself on a tight budget, no green lettering on these. Current production, EP's off the shelf, no waiting for used deals.

Can happiness be found with a set of modern Plossls?

These eyepieces are very good IMHO.
The Meade 4 element 4000 plossl set at Astronomics for 199.00 and free shipping in usa. Includes a Case, 4 color filters, moon filter, 6 eyepices- 6.4 to 40mm (less the 20mm and 26mm)and includes a #126 barlow lens. :)
Not sure there will be any CN discount for this item?
Sam

#28 BillP

BillP

Voyager 1

• Loc: Vienna, VA

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:36 AM

How's the viewing through those Bill? I have been a little concerned with the lack of a rubber eyeguard with the lenses almost at the top of the barrel.

I don't find it to be any issue, unless using them for daylight solar viewing, and then I just add a 3rd party rubber eye guard. I find I usually fold down eye guards on most all eyepieces anyway.

Keith - Yes, Plossl has been used and abused. But I am reconciled to calling just about any symmetrical a Plossl as that's what everyone (companies) has been doing for decades now - guess they hate the term "symmetrical" because i does not sound as exotic. So at this point like trying to not use the word Xerox and Kleenex as generic terms. Just too hard. So when you think of the concave surfaces like TV and Long Perng have, just think slightly improved Plossl. :lol:

#29 WAVT

WAVT

Viking 1

• Loc: Bellingham, WA

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:06 AM

I think the topic was mustard, wirh French's being just one brand. I bought all my TV plossls used and feel they can be shoehorned in, in the budget catagory. I am known as being rather frugal. In keeping with the friendly spirit of the conversation I felt my comments were not whining but fit within the spirit of the "Script" and apologize if I came off as a TV snob.

#30 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:57 AM

Used TV Plossls can be pretty inexpensive. I saw that a nice 17mm smoothie sold the other night on eBay for $31 + shipping. If my daughter hadn't been on the computer I would have put in a last-minute bid for it. :ubetcha:

I have four TV Plossls: a couple 25mm that I bought on sale, and a pair of smoothie 7.4mm that I got cheap used. I'm thinking of picking up a couple 11mm from a friend.

Mike

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics